Follow the steps below to make sure you are ready for advisement!
- Check your Bobcats e-mail everyday.
- Know your advisor's name and department.
- Review the curriculum of your major program. Helpful sources of information: the University Catalog, the Registration Schedule, the Online Class Schedule, DegreeWorks and the program of study worksheet.
- Be mindful of the calendar. It's your responsibility to schedule an appointment with your advisor during the advising period!
- Develop a written list of questions or topics to cover with your advisor.
- Mark your calendar with the day and time of both your advising appointment and your registration time assignment.
- Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss registration well ahead of your registration time.
- Plan your schedule (doc). Make sure you mark any times that are already set for you such as work.
- Check mid-term grades through PAWS.
The Advising Appointment
- Be on time.
- Help your advisor help you. If you're having trouble with a specific course or all of them, be prepared to discuss this and be open to your advisor's suggestions for using the Learning Center, Writing Center, etc.
- Discuss courses for the upcoming semester, and listen carefully to your advisor's recommendations. Check all prerequisites for the courses you want to take.
- Ask questions about your progress toward meeting CORE, major prerequisites and major and minor requirements. Review your progress toward graduation.
- Consider carefully the balance between your work responsibilities and your academic course load.
- Discuss plans for graduate/professional school, or beginning a career.
- Be sure that you understand how to register through PAWS.
- Attention Seniors: Be sure to complete the Undergraduate Application for Graduation form before the deadline listed on the Registrar's website. The application must be submitted to your advisor and the Department Chair for approval and then to the Registrar's Office.
- Register for as many courses as possible via the web.
- Let your advisor know if you are unable to register for any of the courses or alternates suggested.
- Verify your schedule through the web before the semester begins. It's also a good idea to have a printout of your schedule for your records.