Internships give Mass Communication majors practical experience in their chosen field in a supervised, educational and off-campus setting. Students are most successful in their internship when all four of their Mass Communication skills courses and both practicums are completed and the internship is used as a stepping-stone into a career after graduation. Students may not take any other classes during the semester they are completing their internship.
Alumni Internship Testimonials
Internship at Cumulus Media
Class of 2007
"I look back fondly upon the internship experience that I had with Cumulus Radio. I learned more about the inner workings of a radio station, not just the on-air talent, but all the different, minute details that go into making a successful radio station."
Internship at Ketchum Public Relations
Class of 2014
"Interning with Ketchum was the ultimate launch to my PR career. I’ve been able to work directly with senior leaders and executives at some of the world’s most notable companies and organizations. I feel confident that I’ve made an impact, and am honored to have spent two years as a full-time employee."
Internship at Georgia Aquarium
Class of 2015
"My internship experience was absolutely amazing. My coworkers at the aquarium were always willing to teach me new video skills and let me get hands-on with their video equipment. I also had the opportunity to take on projects on my own, which really propelled my work to a new level."
Tips on Finding an Internship
- Meet with the Mass Communication Internship Coordinator to discuss your options
- Monitor job and internship postings on the Mass Communication email list
- Meet with your faculty mentor
- Visit the Georgia College Career Center for a list of possibilities
- Reach out to industry professionals
- Attend industry conferences for networking opportunities
- Connect with Mass Communication alumni to gain insight on their internship experiences
3 Steps to Register for Your Internship
- Identify a media-related internship opportunity that can provide a minimum of 300 hours of experience and follows the guidelines outlined in the Internship Brochure.
- Email the job description to the Mass Communication internship coordinator and set up a Career Connection Account. Then receive approval from Mass Communication internship coordinator and your on-site supervisor.
- Register online for MSCM 4960, and pay for the class.
For more information, please contact Angela Criscoe, Internship Coordinator.
Department of Communication
219 Beeson Hall | Campus Box 32
Milledgeville, GA 31061