The Language Lab
The Language Lab is an integral part of the Department of World Languages and Cultures and serves as an extension of the classroom with the goal of enhancing all phases of the language learning process. Students will find a relaxed environment in which they are encouraged to work on improving reading and listening comprehension, writing, grammar, pronunciation and speaking skills. It provides support to both students and faculty across all levels of instruction. Its purpose is to empower students to reach proficiency in one or more languages through exposure to a myriad of enrichment activities and resources.
Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. except during holidays
Where is the Lab?
The Language Lab is located in the Arts and Sciences Building in Rooms 271 (tutoring/study room) and 273 (classroom).
Be sure to bring your bobcat ID to swipe for signing in and out of the Lab. This will insure that you get credit for the amount of lab time you complete. A record of your hours will be sent to your instructor at the end of the semester.
The Tutoring/Study Room - Room 273
The Language Lab offers tutoring to students outside of the classroom. Dedicated tutors share their passion for languages by giving one-on-one assistance to students needing help with grammar, pronunciation, speaking and writing. This room houses fully-equipped computer stations where students can access lab and homework assignments while working at their own pace in a quiet environment.
WLC Lab Classroom - Room 271
The WLC Lab classroom is available by reservation to instructors who wish to meet in the lab with their students for activities or tests. It is a 30-seat facility equipped with computers and language instruction software.
Located in A&S 2-73 is a student study area with free tutoring in French, Italian, German and Spanish
- DVD players/recorders (Samsung, Philips, Fungi, Sony) to include one multi-region DVD player and one DVD/VCR recorder for transfer of VHS to DVD (A&S 2-71)
- 30 Fully-equipped student Mac Mini Computers with Dell monitors (A&S 2-71)
- 1 Apple iMac Desktop computer at instructor station (A&S 2-71)
- 8 OptiPlex 5040 student computers w/Dell monitors, Windows OS in tutoring area (A&S 2-73)
- 1 Apple iMac Desktop computer at Lab Coordinator station (A&S 2-73)
- 1 MacBook Pro 13-inch Laptop Computer at Lab Coordinator station (A&S 2-73)
- 1 OptiPlex 790 computer with Dell monitor at student work station (A&S 2-73)
- 1 OptiPlex 780 computer with Dell monitor at student sign-in station (A&S 2-73)
- 126 Headsets (53 Sanako, 30 Califone, 41 SchoolMate, 1 Sennheiser, 1 Planatronics) (A&S 2-71 and 2-73)
- 39 Logitech Webcams – Model C160 (A&S 2-71 and 2-73)
- iPads (Bretford Power Sync cart with iPads and Apple iPad minis) (A&S 2-71)
- 4 external disk drives (2 Apple USB Super Drives and 2 Slim Portable DVD Writers) (A&S 2-71 and 2-73)
- Apple TV (A&S 2-71)
- 2 LG TV monitors (A&S 2-71)
- 1 Epson Overhead Projector (A&S 2-71)
- 1 DA-Lite projector screen (A&S 2-71)
- 2 Boom boxes (Emerson, RCA) (A&S 2-71)
A film inventory with 300 DVD and video resources in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Russian and Spanish
- 300 textual resources in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish
- Dictionaries in Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian
- Grammar Reference Guides in French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian
- Verb Conjugation Books in French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Large Wall Maps (Africa, Central America, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, Paris, Spain)
- Auralog Tell Me More (French, German and Spanish)
- DiLL Software – Digital Language Lab with annual license of 31 seats
- Sanako Study 1200 Language Lab
- Transparent Language (Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish)
- Voicethread – annual license (10 accounts for instructors/250 accounts for students)
- Quiz Spiel (German)
- Spanish and German Cultural Trivia
- Bingo (Spanish, French, German)
Note: Tutoring is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Please refer to the tutoring schedule to check the availability of the tutors. For private tutoring at specific times, please contact the coordinator to arrange an appointment. Tutoring is only available when classes are in session.
The WLC Lab not only offers free tutoring, but also contains a large variety of language-learning resources accessible free of charge for all GC faculty, staff and students. Whether you are enrolled in a language course or not, the WLC Lab is your best resource for practicing or learning a language.
Language Lab Contact Information:
Dr. Peggy Elliott
Chair, World Languages and Cultures
Associate Professor of French