GEORGIA COLLEGE & STATE UNIVERSITY
A Policy on Sponsorship, Donations, and Affiliated Advertisement
This policy outlines sponsorships, donations, both financial and non-financial, and advertising for outside individual companies, institutions, or organizations by specific Georgia College & State University (hereafter referred to as Georgia College) divisions, departments, units, and/or recognized student organizations. The policy is applicable for solicitations of less than $1,000.
Additional Governing Policy
All sponsorships and donations in the amount of $1,000 or more must adhere to the guidelines of the Georgia College Office of University Advancement.
The Department of Athletics, The Colonnade, WGUR Radio Station, and GCTV Television Network are exempt from this policy.
Sponsor and sponsorship are individuals, companies, institutions, or organizations that provide monetary and/or non-monetary support for all or part of an event or organization that is organized by or associated with a Georgia College division, department, unit, or recognized student organization (RSO) in exchange for limited advertising rights. For purposes of this policy, sponsorship and fundraiser are synonymous.
Donor and donations are individual, companies, institutions, or organizations that provide monetary and/or non-monetary support for all or part of an event or organization that is organized by or associated with a George College division, department, unit, or RSOs for which the donor is not entitled advertising rights by Georgia College.
Advertising rights are marketing communication (i.e., advertising, personal selling, sales promotions, public relations, direct mailing, exhibitions, or any other communications intended to endorse an organization or promote its offerings) entitlements granted to an individuals, companies, institutions, or RSOs that permits advertisements as explained in this policy details. These include the use of logos, taglines, and other specifically unique characteristics associated with a vendor. It does not preclude the naming of a vendor or donor in a single line generic text as a means of “Thank you” within a program or other publication.
Contract organizations are individuals, companies, institutions, or organizations that have a contractual agreement or informal agreement with Georgia College. Typically, a contract organization provides goods and/or services to Georgia College or is a financial supporter of Georgia College. Notwithstanding the nature of the relationship, Georgia College has sole discretion in determining contractual organizations for purposes of this policy. A list of contract organizations as of November 1, 2009 is attached as Exhibit A.
1. Prior to starting any solicitation of sponsorship, donation, or fundraising effort, the Georgia College division(s), department(s), unit(s), and/or RSO(s) must contact the Department of Campus Life for initial approval. Refer to Additional Governing Policy above for solicitations equal or greater than $1,000 per event.
2. Solicitation or acceptance of sponsorships from merchants or vendors in direct competition with a Georgia College contract organization is prohibited. Refer to the Auxiliary Services website for a current listing of Georgia College contract organizations.
3. A Georgia College division, department, unit and/or RSO may apply to the Office of University Advancement to add an organization to the contract organizations list. Prior approval of such is required before solicitation or acceptance of donations from non-contract merchants and/or vendors may be accepted in exchange for advertising rights.
Any Georgia College division, department, unit, or RSO may not seek donations or solicit sponsorships from an organizations whose main focus (core product offering) is the manufacturing, distribution, or selling of alcoholic beverages (i.e., beers, wines or spirits).
Preference should be given to Georgia College contract organizations when soliciting sponsorship and/or donation opportunities.
A list of Georgia College contract organizations shall be available through and maintained by Auxiliary Services and available on its website.
Refusal of a sponsorship and/or donation by a Georgia College contact organization does not permit the soliciting division, department, unit, or RSO to seek or accept sponsorship and/or donations from a non-contract organization. The soliciting division, department, unit, or RSO may seek to have the non-contract organization added to the Georgia College contact organization list by petitioning the Office of University Advancement.
Georgia College divisions, departments, units, and RSOs are not permitted to use an event for the sole purpose of advertising sponsor(s) and/or donor(s).
Georgia College divisions, departments, units, or RSOs and their representatives are prohibited from accepting solicitations and/or signing contracts with organizations, both contract organizations and non-contract organizations, to collect information that may be used for later solicitation by the organization.
Advertising rights shall be limited to the following activities.
- Catering: If appropriate for an event, approved by the Department of Campus Life, and consistent with Georgia College catering guidelines, sponsors shall be allowed one booth or table for the sole purpose of promoting its business. Refer to the Auxiliary Services website for catering guidelines. The Georgia College division, department, unit, and/or RSO seeking approval for such advertisement must assure that the solicitation is not in breach of catering guidelines.
- Availability of Promotional Items: Promotional items from a sponsor and/or donor must be unconditionally available (i.e., participation in activity cannot be required) to all organization or event participants.
- Print Advertisements: Print advertisement of any kind (i.e., flyers, posters, direct mailings, banners, etc.) that displays a sponsor’s and/or donor’s name, logo, byline, or other visual communication that promote the sponsor and/or donor must be approved by Auxiliary Services prior to posting.
VIOLATION OF POLICY
If a Georgia College division, department, unit, or RSO deviates from this policy, disciplinary action will be taken in accordance with the respective division.