Licensing Rules for Off-campus Groups
These rules and regulations are necessary to ensure our compliance with Board of Regents policy and federal trademark laws and to ensure fairness and propriety in the use of the Georgia College & State University name, trademarks and logos within university guidelines. Contact the Office of University Communications at (478) 445-4477 with any questions concerning these rules.
1. The use of any Georgia College & State University name, logo or trademark on any product or in connection with a manufacturer, wholesaler, screen printer, in-store producer or any other supplier must be managed under a license agreement. Anyone wishing to become a licensed vendor may do so by completing an application and paying a one-time $50 licensing fee.
2. Once licensed, the use of any Georgia College & State University name, trademark or logo by any organization, business or individual must be approved in writing by the Office of University Communications prior to its use. Copy and design approval are also required for any use. This also includes use by nonbusiness groups or individuals, charities or other nonprofit organizations. There is NO exception to this rule.
3. No licensee can be granted exclusive rights for the production of any item bearing Georgia College & State University marks.
4. It is a violation of federal trademark law to alter the Georgia College & State University names, trademarks or logo in any way, or to incorporate them or any portion of them into the name or trademark of any other business or organization. As part of the licensing agreement, vendors agree to follow all rules and regulations contained in the Graphic Identity Program.
5. Royalties on sale: Items that are purchased or produced by any group or individual for resale will be subject to a 7 percent royalty payment.
6. Advertising: The use of any Georgia College & State University name, trademark or logo is prohibited in advertisement and commercials that promote non-Georgia College & State University entities. Licensees and retailers of licensed merchandise may use the marks in the promotion of their licensed Georgia College merchandise only. Prior approval of advertising copy is required.
7. Associated use: Written authorization and copy approval must be obtained from the Office of University Communications prior to any activity that would associate the names, trademarks or logos of Georgia College & State University with those of any business or organization. This includes any association that indicates support for Georgia College or any of its programs. The use of the Georgia College & State University name, logos and trademarks is strictly prohibited when such use does or will imply endorsement by the university.
When in doubt about any form of logo or trademark usage, contact the Office of University Communications at (478) 445-4477.
Return to Licensing Home