University Communications writes all news releases pertaining to Georgia College and distributes them to the media through an online distribution service. We are able to immediately distribute releases locally, statewide, or across the nation.
If you are planning a major event, please remember to include a representative of University Communications in your planning sessions so that we may assist you with advance and day-of coverage of the event. To ensure that your event receives the attention it deserves, its good to give at least six (6) weeks notice prior to your scheduled campaign/event.
In addition, the Media Relations staff:
- Develops and maintains a relationship with the media, keeping in contact on a daily basis.
- Pitches story ideas about GC and its faculty, staff and students.
- Helps the media with its coverage of the university.
- Aids the media in finding campus experts to be quoted on issues in the news.
How to get your news distributed to the media?
Submit news items via email to Brittiny Barber or call 478-445-1934. Include the name of the event, time, date, location and a brief description of the event and a number to call for more information.
University Communications also maintains an electronic Hometown News form for students who have accomplished something significant on campus. When the form is completed, it is automatically submitted to the Media Relatons Manager, who will write a news release and send it to the student's hometown newspaper. Hometown releases are automatically sent for graduation, president's and dean's list. A printed version of the Hometown News form is available by calling or visiting the Office of University Communications.
Contact us with ideas for stories that will bring recognition to GC and reflect our mission as a public liberal arts university.
Examples of news items or story ideas:
- Upcoming cultural events, such as concerts, plays, readings, lectures, exhibits.
- Announcements of recognition awarded faculty, staff, students.
- Announcements of new degrees or programs.
- Announcements of grants awarded to GC faculty or programs.
- Activities that GC faculty, staff, and students are involved in outside the campus that may be pitched as features.
Campus Box 097 | Milledgeville, GA 31061
Phone 478-445-1934; Fax 478-445-6795