SOAR matches incoming minority students with student mentors to help make sure that they have a smooth transition into our University and that they are successful while they are here. We understand that mentorship is important in every phase of life, so we match student mentors with professional mentors from faculty or staff. Participants in the SOAR program get the opportunity to give back to the community through another phase of mentorship with high school students in the High Achievers Program.
- Mentors to help minority students successfully transition into college
- Motivation for academic excellence through structured study time, academic success seminars, and workshops aimed at retaining minority students at the university
- Guidance in Major and Career selection, and assistance in course registration
- Supportive group of peers and friends, and activities to help develop/support those relationships
- An abundance of resources
- Cultural and educational programming coordinated by the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity
Students are encouraged to schedule an advising session with the SOAR Coordinator prior to registration each semester. Students may schedule additional advising sessions as needed.