Special Education General Curriculum (M.A.T.)
Available at the Macon Center Campus
The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree in Special Education provides initial teacher preparation at the master's degree level for qualified candidates who hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
Most candidates do not currently hold clear, renewable certification; some candidates hold clear, renewable certificates in distantly related teaching fields (e.g., Physical Education, Business Education). Students are expected to begin and matriculate with their cohort for satisfactory completion of the degree program. Students who fail to satisfactorily meet any of the decision point requirements will not be allowed to continue in the program.
Students must hold temporary certification from the Georgia PSC in General Special Education and be employed in a school system as a condition of admission and will complete internship requirements in their classroom under the supervision of Georgia College faculty and a school-based mentor teacher. Students employed as paraprofessionals and meeting all other requirements for admission may request an exemption from this requirement.
The cohort begins in January of every year.
- Graduate Admissions Application Form
- Two professional recommendations (pdf)
- Official copies of all transcripts
- Passing scores on the Graduate Writing Assessment
- Minimal GPA of 2.25
- Passing scores or exemption on the GACE Basic Assessment
- Clear background check
- Verification of immunization
- Students must pass the appropriate GACE tests in order to be recommended for certification.
- Students must also provide documentation of completion of INTECH training through the employing school system.
Upon satisfactory completion of the program, a candidate may be recommended for a T-5 (master's degree level) State of Georgia Teacher's Certificate.
Graduate Admission Advisor
CBX 70 220 Kilpatrick Hall
Milledgeville, GA 31061
Phone toll free in Georgia: 800-342-0471 Ext. 1383
See complete list of programs.