Overview Introduction to the College of Education Administration Departments & Faculty/Staff Directories Conceptual Framework What's Happening eBlasts and Enewsletters from the COE Educator Preparation Council (EPC) Field-Based Cohort History Archive
Undergraduate Programs Overview GACE Tests Pre-education B.S. Degrees     Early Childhood     Middle Grades     Special Education Study Abroad
Graduate Programs Overview     Writing Assessment     Assistantships     Peace Corp Fellows     GACE Tests Ed.S. Degrees - Overview     Early Childhood     Educational Leadership     Middle Grades     Secondary Education     Special Education M.Ed. Degrees - Overview     Early Childhood      Educational Leadership     Instructional Technology     Library Media     Secondary Education     Special Education     Reading, Literacy, & Language M.A.T. Degrees - Overview     Secondary Education     Special Education Non-Degree Programs - Overview     ESOL Endorsement     Endorsement - Reading     Add-On - Library Media
Certification Overview GC Programs
Scholarships & Loans COE Scholarships HOPE Other
Honors & Awards College of Education Departments Programs Alumni Faculty & Staff Students Awards Ceremony Capstone Showcase
Grants and Partnerships Baldwin County School System Grants Awarded University, K-12, & Community Liaisons
Early College Early College Home
Call me MISTER Call me MISTER home
Dr. John H. Lounsbury Biography Awards In Honor Conversations & Interviews Papers Publications References
Dr. William Heard Kilpatrick Dr. William Heard Kilpatrick
Student Organizations View the list
NCATE/PSC Visit the NCATE/PSC website
GaPSC M. Ed. Instructional Technology Exhibits

Frequently Asked Questions - B.S. Middle Grades

What is a cohort in The John H. Lounsbury College of Education?

A cohort is an organizational structure that we use to provide instruction, support, and guidance for teacher candidates. Teacher candidates in Middle Grades Education enter together as juniors and stay together as a group, taking courses and completing field activities, over a period of two years. Each cohort group of 18-20 is guided during that period by a Mentor Leader--a professor skilled in advising, supervising, and implementing best teaching practices.

Who can I contact about the Middle Grades Education degree?

Middle Grades Office
CBX 71, 228 Kilpatrick Hall
Milledgeville, GA 31061
478-445-5479; Phone toll free in Georgia: 1-800-342-0471 x 5479

Dr. Nancy B. Mizelle

CBX 71, Rm.126 Kilpatrick Hall
Milledgeville, GA 31061
478-445-6555Phone toll free in Georgia: 1-800-342-0471 x 6555

Dr. Joanne Previts

CBX 71, Rm.228M Kilpatrick Hall
Milledgeville, GA 31061
478-445-4487Phone toll free in Georgia: 1-800-342-0471 x 4487

How can I apply for admission for this degree?

A. All students must first apply and be admitted to the university. For GC application procedures, please see the admissions Web page.

B. After being admitted to the University, students make a separate application for the middle grades cohort program. This program begins at the beginning of the junior year.

When the Cohort Application Packet for Middle Grades Education becomes available, you can find it from the SOE intranet page. Look under the drop down menu for "Students." Completed applications are due in January during the spring semester.

Where can I find out more about the undergraduate cohorts?

Here's a Web page listing frequently asked questions about the undergraduate cohorts in the College of Education.

What courses do I need to take for the bachelor degree in Middle Grades Education?

This Web page lists the core courses and the courses required for the middle grades education bachelor's degree.

Where can I find out more about the GACE test?

This URL will answer more of your GACE Assessment questions.

Are there any scholarships available for students in the College of Education (COE)?

The COE has several scholarships available. Please see the scholarship page for more information.

What are the guidelines for immunizations?

Here are the immunization guidelines.

Can I test out of any of any courses at GC?

Students may earn credit by examination with the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).

After I complete my bachelors degree, is getting certification automatic?

No. For your initial certification, you must work through the certification officer, David Ladd, at GC to be recommended for certification. His office is in 228B Kilpatrick Hall; his phone number is 478-445-2514. Please see the certification page for details.

Are there any student organizations that I may join that relate to Middle Grades?

Yes. We have a student chapter of the CMLA (Collegiate Middle Level Association). The contact person for this chapter at GC is Dr. Nancy B. Mizelle 478-445-6555. 

A-Z Sitewide Index
About the site
Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; Admissions: 478-445-2774 • admissions@gcsu.edu