Overview Introduction to the College of Education Administration Departments & Faculty/Staff Directories Conceptual Framework What's Happening eBlasts and Enewsletters from the COE Educator Preparation Council (EPC) Field-Based Cohort History Archive
Undergraduate Programs Overview GACE Tests Pre-education B.S. Degrees     Early Childhood     Middle Grades     Special Education Study Abroad
Graduate Programs Overview     Writing Assessment     Assistantships     Peace Corp Fellows     GACE Tests Ed.S. Degrees - Overview     Early Childhood     Educational Leadership     Middle Grades     Secondary Education     Special Education M.Ed. Degrees - Overview     Early Childhood      Educational Leadership     Instructional Technology     Library Media     Secondary Education     Special Education     Reading, Literacy, & Language M.A.T. Degrees - Overview     Secondary Education     Special Education Non-Degree Programs - Overview     ESOL Endorsement     Endorsement - Reading     Add-On - Library Media
Certification Overview GC Programs
Scholarships & Loans COE Scholarships HOPE Other
Honors & Awards College of Education Departments Programs Alumni Faculty & Staff Students Awards Ceremony Capstone Showcase
Grants and Partnerships Baldwin County School System Grants Awarded University, K-12, & Community Liaisons
Early College Early College Home
Call me MISTER Call me MISTER home
Dr. John H. Lounsbury Biography Awards In Honor Conversations & Interviews Papers Publications References
Dr. William Heard Kilpatrick Dr. William Heard Kilpatrick
Student Organizations View the list
NCATE/PSC Visit the NCATE/PSC website
GaPSC M. Ed. Instructional Technology Exhibits


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a cohort in The John H. Lounsbury College of Education? A cohort is an organizational structure that we use to provide instruction, support, and guidance for teacher candidates.  Teacher candidates enter together as juniors and stay together as a group, taking courses and completing field activities, over a period of two years. Each cohort group of about 18-20 is guided during that period by a Mentor/Leader--a professor skilled in advising, supervising, and implementing best teaching practices. 

Who are contact people for the Special Education degree?

Dr. Craig Smith, Chairperson craig.smith@gcsu.edu
(478) 445-4577;
Phone toll free in Georgia: 1-800-342-0471 x 4577;
101-C Kilpatrick Hall, Milledgeville

How can I apply for admission for this degree?
A. All students must first apply and be admitted to the university. For GC application procedures, please see the admissions Web page.

B. After begin admitted to the University, students make a separate application for the early childhood cohort program. This program begins at the beginning of the junior year.

When the Cohort Application Packet becomes available, you can find it online. Completed applications are due the third Friday in January during the spring semester before a cohort begins.

Where can I find out more about the undergraduate cohorts?
Here's a Web page listing frequently asked questions about the Undergraduate Cohorts in the College of Education.

What courses do I need to take for the bachelor degree in Special Education? This Web page lists the core courses and the courses required for the special educationbachelor's degree.

Where can I find out more about the GACE test? This URL will answer more of your GACE Assessment questions. 

Are there any scholarships available for students in the College of Education (SOE)? The SOE has several scholarships available.  Please see the scholarship page for more information.

What are the guidelines for immunizations? Here are the immunization guidelines.

Can I test out of any of any courses at GC? Students may earn credit by examination with the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP).

After I complete my bachelors degree, is getting certification automatic? No.  For your initial certification, you must work through the certification officer, David Ladd, at GC to be recommended for certification. His office is in 220 Kilpatrick Hall; his phone number is (478) 445-2514.  Please see the certification page for details.

Are there any student organizations that I may join that relate to Early Childhood? Yes. We have a student association of the CEC (Council for Exceptional Children). The contact person for that organization is Dr. Rebecca McMullen at (478) 445-7365 or 217-C Kilpatrick Hall.

Around Campus Image
A-Z Sitewide Index
About the site
Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; Admissions: 478-445-2774 • admissions@gcsu.edu