Institutional Equity & Diversity Overview of the Office Mission Staff
Federal Laws Federal Law Information
Faculty and Staff Services President's Commission on Diversity Services and Training     Search Committee Training      Training Module Accommodation Forms
Student Services Cultural Center Website         Coordinator's Message Women's Center Website         Coordinator's Message
Diversity Programming Overview Social Justice 3RS4ALL
Resources, Forms, & Links EEO Complaint Form Complaint Withdrawal Form Sexual Misconduct Form Resources-Useful Links Scholarship Information Religious Holidays Bias Incident Form
Diversity Action Plan Overview Committee Members Diversity Leadership Teams Timeline for Goals     Student Access and Success      Curriculum, Creative Learning and Scholarship      Campus Climate      Faculty and Staff Vitality and Viability
Title IX Title IX Information
Safe Space Safe Space Resources
spacer

Award Winners


2008 GC Flagg Social Justice Legacy Award Recipients and Nominees
2009 GC Flagg Social Justice Legacy Award Recipients and Nominees
2010 GC Flagg Social Justice Legacy Award Recipients and Nominees
2011 GC Flagg Social Justice Legacy Award Recipients and Nominees

The GC Flagg Social Justice Legacy Award is named for the Rev. Wilkes B. Flagg, an affluent legend in Baldwin County, in honor of and in recognition of his lifelong contributions to educational advancement and social justice.

Born in Virginia in 1802, Wilkes Flagg was the slave of Dr. Tomlinson Fort, who was purchased, along with his mother Sabina, from the Lamar plantation on Little River. A very active leader during reconstruction, Rev. Flagg helped the destitute blacks in the community.  Rev. Flagg established a school for the blacks at Flagg Baptist Church. According to Reflections, a newsletter of the Historic Preservation Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources, "the educational accomplishments at Flagg Chapel soon came to the attention of Reverend Hiram Eddy of the American Missionary Society AMA." This philanthropic society provided teachers and equipment for schools built by the Freedman's Bureau. In 1869, students moved from classes previously held at Flagg Chapel Baptist Church to the Eddy School, the only educational institution for African Americans in Milledgeville.


 

DSC 08
CONNECTING WHAT MATTERS
A-Z Sitewide Index
About the site
Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; 478-445-5004 • admissions@gcsu.edu