Steps to Apply
1. Apply and be accepted for admission to Georgia College.
2. Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA online at http://www.fafsa.gov/. (Students who have previously applied for aid and have supplied the Department of Education with an email address, will be sent notifications electronically via e-mail)
3. When completing the FAFSA, be sure to list Georgia College in the school section of the application using our Federal School Code of 001602. This will allow us to receive an electronic copy of the application.(Students should also be certain that all necessary signatures are included.)
4. In no more than four weeks, the student will receive an e-mail notification with a direct link to the student's online Student Aid Report (SAR). If an e-mail address was not provided on the application, the information will be mailed to the student. An electronic copy will also be sent to GC if so indicated. Please carefully read the comment section on the SAR to determine if any further action is required to complete the application process. If any information is incorrect, follow the instructions provided on the SAR.
5. Please verify online information in PAWS to see that an electronic copy of the Student Aid Report (SAR) has been received.
6. Verification is the process by which the U.S. Department of Education requires schools to check a certain percentage of their financial aid applications for accuracy. If the application is selected, the student will be asked to submit additional information to the Financial Aid Office. (At a minimum, possible documentation will include a completed verification worksheet, student's federal tax transcript, and if applicable, the parent's or spouse's tax transcript).
7. Parents of dependent students, may apply for a Direct PLUS Loan, online at www.studentloans.gov. Parents will start the Federal Direct PLUS application process and sign the master promissory note online using the parent's FAFSA PIN.
8. Students will be notified via their school email of their eligibility for financial aid through either an electronic Award Letter or explanation of ineligibility. This notification is typically sent within a few weeks. However, it will take longer during peak processing times.
9. Be sure to report to the Financial Aid Office, in writing, any pending outside scholarships.
If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.