STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS
The Georgia College International Education Center staff advises all students going abroad on the study abroad programs that best meet their needs and the study abroad scholarships that are available to them.
International Education Center staff will advise students regarding University Study Abroad Scholarships for which they may submit applications to the INternational Education Center. These scholarships require the same 3.0 GPA standard that is requried for other GC scholarships. The assistant Vice PResident for International Education and the International Education Committee review Scholarship application materials and recommend University Study Abroad Scholarships. Recommendations will be made on a priority basis according to the following:
- Students registering at GC for study abroad programs that are offered by GC or for study abroad programs sponsored by the University System of Georgia and which permit students to register at GC. Also, students registering at GC and participating in an exchange with one of its partner universities or approved third party program providers.
- Students enrolling in non-GC study abroad programs that have been investigated and approved by the Assistant Vice President for International Education, who will confirm the academic quality of the study abroad programs, as well as satisfactory systems for transferring credits to GC. In addition, students should complete the Study Abroad Course Approval Form which is available in the International Education Center and confirms the support of major advisors and department chairs. Students must also register in the Office of the Registrar as transient students for the balance of their credits.
- When the International Education Committee's Study Abroad Sub-Committee review scholarship applications, they give priority to length and location of the program as well as Intercultural immersion possibilities of the program.
International Education center staff will also advise students interested in studying abroad on other available scholarships:
- Federal Aid, which is based solely upon financial need and may be used for any recognized study abroad programs. For programs in which the majority of course work is registered with an institution other than GC, an approved Financial Aid Consortium Agreement must be in place before Federal Aid will be disbursed. Information is available in the Financial Aid Office. Federal Aid may be awarded as grants or loans.
- Information on other scholarships is available in the International Education Center.
The Office of Financial Aid will manage disbursement of all study abroad scholarships and Federal Aid. In addition, the Financial aid office will establish the required financial aid consortium agreement with any non-GC program which certifies the student's Federal Financial Aid eligibility. Any funds awarded through GC will be managed by the Office of Financial Aid.