The High Achievers is a leadership based enrichment program that does not offer academic tutoring, however we do understand and value the importance of academic success.
The program partners with the YES program at Baldwin High School which provides the tutors. Academic support is offered 5 times a week, Mon-Fri for 1 hour.
Youth Enrichment Services is a collaborative project of Georgia College and State University, Baldwin County Schools, Baldwin County Parks and Recreation, and local citizens. Its mission is to raise achievement and educational aspirations for students in grades 3-12 as well as their adult family members. YES seeks to raise graduation rates, to nurture and inspire curiosity, and to realize deeper levels of literacy. YES collaborates with students and adults to increase confidence in their abilities to tackle new learning situations. Finally, YES works together to build a whole community that says “yes” to making promises come true. Programming supports elementary, middle and high school students and their adult family members.
YES Provides weekday academic help with bus transportation home. Program activities include:
- homework assistance
- tutorial support
- credit recovery using computer-assisted technology (at BHS)
- small class sizes with a ratio of 1 certified teacher to 8 - 10 students
Schedule: YES is operated Mondays through Fridays with bus transportation provided home. All youth participate in academic and enrichment programming that includes
- Science, technology, engineering, and math studies (STEM studies), including building robotics, chess, gardening, science discovery
- Creative self-expression, including digital black and white photography, journalism, print and bookmaking, mural art, scrap booking, ceramics, and violin (at Eagle Ridge)
- Lifetime recreational activities, including tennis, golf, canoeing aerobics, dance, disc golf, basketball, volleyball, karate
- Job club, officiating lessons
- Power group, including leadership programs, ropes courses, public achievement courses
- College readiness
Enrichment programming is fun and purposeful, and activities are supported by specialists.
Programming for adult family members of participating students: All family members of participating students who are over age 19 and not in school are included in literacy programming, including financial literacy, computer literacy, nutrition and wellness literacy.
YES Afterschool Director - Julie Cook at email@example.com
The High Achievers Program
Georgia College & State University
Campus Box 075 | Milledgeville, GA 31061
Phone 478-445-5613; Fax 478-445-0147