Geography Major Program Outcomes
A. Demonstrate Geographic Literacy
- Extract, analyze, and use geographical information from atlases, gazetteers, maps, and online sources.
- Read, relate, and interpret geographic literature to explain important theories and concepts in geography.
- Express reasoned, coherent, and balanced explanations of geographic concepts in written, oral, and graphic form.
- Acquire and develop geospatial data and use those data to generate analytical maps, charts, and tables.
B. Explain Geographic Patterns and Processes
- Develop and apply an understanding of geography at varying scales from global and regional to local, including the general and unique attributes of major regions and places.
- Explain the major processes that shape the physical environment, and relate them to spatial patterns of weather, climate, landforms, and ecosystems.
- Compare and contrast the major processes that influence spatial patterns of human population, culture, geopolitics, economics, and urbanization.
C. Apply Geography to Solve Problems
- Critically assess and appraise the interactions between humans and their physical environment.
- Apply geographic knowledge, analytical methods, and geospatial techniques to interpret past events, engage in present issues, and prepare for future outcomes.
- Participate as an active scholar to improve the human condition.