Overview Welcome International Newsletter Meet Our Staff Contact Us
International Admissions Why Georgia College What Our Alumni Say Our Students Speak Application Requirements How do I Apply? Application Deadlines Test Scores Tuition and Fees FAQ Accreditation Application Checklist IB / AP College Credit
Financial Aid Undergraduate Financial Aid Graduate Financial Aid Suggestions on Funding On-Campus Employment
International Students After Acceptance      Pre-Arrival Checklist     U.S. Visa Requirements     Freshman Requirements      Housing     Pre-Arrival Information     Arrival and Orientation HANDBOOK:       Academics       Transportation       Money and Banking       Telephone, E-mail, Mail       F-1 & J-1 Status       Employment       Social Security Cards       Health Care/Insurance       Safety and U.S. Laws       Taxes       Shopping and Tipping       Social Customs       Connections
International Club International Club
International Majors/Minors International Plan International Studies Minor
Partners Worldwide Partners Worldwide
Study Abroad Overview
Faculty Resources Teaching and Research Abroad Funding Inviting International Scholars International Student Connections
Global Scholars Fund Global Scholars Fund

Social Security Cards

In the U.S., the term social security number refers to an identification number given to individuals by the federal government. Any international student who works in the U.S. must obtain a social security number.

F-1 and J-1 visa students who have an on-campus job or who have been granted off-campus employment authorization are eligible and should apply for a social security number.

To obtain a social security number, you must apply at the local Social Security Office at 109 Cypress Corners (478-452-0106) by presenting a completed application form (available at the International Center or Social Security Office), a letter from your employer verifying your employment, a letter from the International Center (or exchange program sponsor), your passport, I-20 (or DS-2019) and I-94 card.

It can take several weeks before receiving a social security card, so eligible students should apply as soon as possible but should wait at least 10 days after arriving to the United States to ensure their information is in the system.

Around Campus Image
A-Z Sitewide Index
About the site
Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; Admissions: 478-445-2774 • admissions@gcsu.edu