The mission of the Office of Legal Affairs is to educate the Georgia College community as to the laws and regulations applicable to the University's operations. Legal Affairs also works to manage legal issues and facilitate transactions, to provide advice and counsel, to foster sound decision-making and creative problem-solving, and to provide legal representation, all of which to facilitate the University's pursuit of its mission.
It is the goal of the Office of Legal Affairs to provide counsel to minimize legal risks and costs, reduce litigation exposure, and ensure legal compliance, and to do so efficiently, expeditiously, reliably, and professionally.
In serving the University's interests, Legal Affairs pursues excellence in the quality of services provided to its clients and maintains the highest standards of professional ethics and integrity. Such services include, but are not limited to:
- Advise, assist, and train administrators, faculty, and staff with respect to legal issues that arise during the course of their employment duties with Georgia College.
- Assist with the development of policies that align with the University’s mission while preserving the legal, ethical, and financial integrity of the University;
- Assist departments with administration and negotiation of all third-party contracts;
- Assist international employees with visa and permanent residency process;
- Manage all Georgia Open Records Act and other records requests for Georgia College; and
- Manage the University’s Records Management Program.
The Office of Legal Affairs webpages contains a variety of resources including information on compliance, contract development and management, immigration, intellectual property, investigations, policies, records requests, records retention, and Title IX.
The people of the Office of Legal Affairs are:
Qiana N. Wilson, Director
Cyndi E. Johnson, Title IX Coordinator
Sadie M. Simmons, Compliance/Policy Officer
If a legal issue arises as part of your job at Georgia College, please contact the Office of Legal Affairs as soon as possible. The office is located at 300 N. Wayne St. You can also call 478-445-2037 or send your legal inquiries to email@example.com.
The Office of Legal Affairs serves as Georgia College’s liaison to the Board of Regent's legal staff and the Georgia Attorney General’s office. Please do not contact these offices without consulting the Office of Legal Affairs first.
We cannot provide legal advice or services to students. Likewise, we cannot offer services or advice to faculty or staff regarding their own legal concerns. If you are in need of legal services or advice, you should contact one of the many excellent attorneys who practice in this area. Information regarding the local bar is available through many sources, including martindale.com and lawyers.com. If you are unable to pay for legal services, you may be eligible for assistance through the Georgia Legal Services Program.
Office of Legal Affairs
Georgia College & State University
300 N. Wayne St.
Campus Box 041
Milledgeville, GA 31061