Off-Campus Library Services
The Georgia College Library is committed to providing you with the library resources you need to complete your assignments. The library provides access to thousands of books and journal articles online. If what you need is not available online you can request it, and it will be sent to you.If you have any questions about research or library services, you can contact us through our ASK-A-LIBRARIAN service during the hours the Reference Desk is open.
- You can call the Librarian at the Reference Desk. (478) 445-0979.
- You can email the Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org) You can email at any time, but the Librarian can only respond during reference desk hours.
- You can IM the Librarian using the chatbox on the Library home page. Please give the librarian a few minutes to answer as he or she may be away from the desk helping another student.
- Beth Broyles is the library's Off-Campus liaison. You can call her at:
(478) 445-0504, or email at email@example.com.
Reference Desk Regular Hours
|Monday - Thursday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sunday Noon - 8 p.m.|
Hours may vary on weekends and during breaks
Off campus faculty and students can have access to library materials using either of two identifying numbers:
- Institutional ID number
All Faculty and Students are given an Institutional ID number. These numbers start with 911...
- Barcode Number
This number is on the back of the BobCat Card (GCID) and starts with the numbers 204...
If you use the Barcode number, you will need to get it activated in the library's system. You can do this by calling the Circulation Desk (478) 445-4047. You can also email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Institutional ID or active Library Barcode number allows you to:
- Access your library account to see which items you have checked out, when they are due, and how to renew them.
- Request books using GIL Express
- Find the current GALILEO password in the online catalog. Use the Library's Interlibrary Loan service to request books, articles, etc. that are not available online or through GIL Express.
The GIL Universal Catalog allows you to search libraries across the University System of Georgia. If you find a book you need, you can request it using GIL Express and have it delivered to a participating library near your home or workplace, including the Macon State College Library on the main campus, or the Library's Warner Robins location at Nola Brantley Public Library. When you are finished you can return the book to the same library, or any other USG library. . To see the list of University System of Georgia libraries, go to: http://gilexpress.usg.edu/
The GALILEO database, WorldCat, combines the catalogs of thousands of libraries from around the world. If you can't find what you need from the GIL Universal Catalog you can search WorldCat for libraries outside of Georgia. You will need to use Interlibrary Loan to request materials you find in WorldCat.
FINDING ARTICLES IN JOURNALS
There are many databases available for your use through GALILEO. (http://www.galileo.usg.edu.) You will need the current GC password to connect to these resources from off campus. Get the password by:
- logging into your PAWS account and choosing GALILEO from the Main Menu.
- Connect to the Library's online catalog at http://gil.gcsu.edu
- Select "Get GALILEO Password" in the right-hand column.
- Enter your University ID or Barcode, last name, and PIN.
(If you do not have a PIN, follow the instructions to get one.)
- The password will appear in the drop-down box.
Use the Journal Locator to see if the journal you need is available in the GC Library or in any of our online, full-text databases. The Library Express Service allows you to request copies of articles. Use the Interlibrary Loan request form.
Click the "Interlibrary Loan" link here or on the Library's Home Page
- Then, "Interlibrary Loan Request Form"
- Enter your username and password, and logon to ILLiad.
NOTE: if you've never logged on to ILLiad before you will have to set up your account first. Click on "First Time Users Click Here" to create an ILLiad account.
- Choose which type of request you want to make: Article or Book.
- Fill out the form as completely as possible, then click "submit request"
GC librarians have created subject guides to research in many areas for use by students and faculty. A complete list of guides is available at http://libguides.gcsu.edu/. You may find these specific guides to be useful:
- Business & Economics Research Guide
- Education Research Guide
- Nursing Research Guide
Use GIL Express to order books from any library in the University System of Georgia. You can have the books delivered to a participating library nearby for pickup and, when finished, return them to the same library.
To use GIL Express:
- Find the item you need in the GIL Universal Catalog
- Click GIL Express Request at the top of the screen.
- Select "Georgia College and State University Library" as your home institution
- Enter your Institution ID or Barcode, PIN, and last name in the appropriate boxes and Logon
- Click OK
- Reenter your number
- Choose a Pick up library from the drop-down list.
(NOTE: if you would like to pick up your item at Macon State College's Warner Robins Center, you will need to select "Macon State College" from the Pick up Library box and then select "NOLA BRANTLEY CIRC DESK" from the Pick up at: drop down list.
- Submit Request
If you need a specific journal article, start by checking the Library's Journal Locator to see if it is online in any of our databases. If not, you can use the Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad) system to request the article from the library. To use ILLiad,
Most articles will be delivered electronically. You will receive an e-mail message telling you the article is available with a link to the article. You will have to log on to ILLiad again to get your article. If you request a book that is not available through GIL Express, the book will be sent by UPS. You must include a street address (not a P.O. Box ) in the request form. You must also specify that you want the book delivered in the “notes” area of the request form.
For more information, go to the Interlibrary Loan Home Page. http://libguides.gcsu.edu/ill
|Library Circulation Desk||(478) email@example.com|
|Interlibrary Loan||(478) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Reference Desk||(478) email@example.com|
|Beth Broyles, Librarian
Off Campus Liaison
For general information about the library, go to the home page at:http://www.gcsu.edu/library