General Information Welcome Faculty & Staff Minors Alumni Update Form
Bachelor of Music Therapy Overview Admission Requirements Scholarship and Entrance Audition Application FAQs
Master of Music Therapy Overview Admissions Requirements Application Program Policies
Master of Art Therapy Overview Admission Requirements Application
Music Therapy Clinic Music Therapy Clinic Music Therapy Clinic Services Music Therapy Clinic Staff FAQs
Health Sciences Departments Visit other College of Health Sciences Departments

Bachelor of Music Therapy FAQs

Does acceptance to Georgia College automatically enroll me in the Music Therapy Program?
No. Each student must audition prior to the acceptance into the preliminary program. International students and students residing in other parts of the United States may get permission to audition via audio and/or video recordings. Before full acceptance into the program you must successfully complete a junior admissions audition after your sophomore year.

Do I need to have music experience before enrolling in the Music Therapy Program?
Yes. To be accepted into the music therapy program as a freshman or transfer student, each student must audition on a principle instrument. The auditions are rated by the Department of Music and Theatre and the Division of Music Therapy. There is a provisional acceptance which allows the student to take remedial applied lessons and re-audition for the next semester.

Do I have to study classical music?
Music Therapy students learn many types of music. Applied lessons on your principle instrument are primarily classically based. Repertoire for each level of progression are chosen by the Applied Music Faculty. Music Therapy faculty will teach you other types of music such as Folk, International, Rock & Roll, Pop from many eras, and today's popular music.

Why is Music Therapy in the College of Health Sciences?
Music Therapy is an Allied Health Profession. After graduation, you will work primarily with the disciplines found in Health Sciences such as nursing and recreation. The collaboration with the Department of Music and Theatre is positive and on-going. You have the best of both worlds!

Do I get to work in the community?
Definitely yes. Each student must complete 180 hours of clinical hands-on experience before being eligible for clinical training. This includes volunteer service learning and intense practicum in music therapy with children and adults. The Music Therapy Program at GC follows the university's Liberal Arts mission and educates leaders who will be contributing citizens in the community.

How long does it take to earn a Bachelor of Music Therapy Degree?
The academic coursework is 124 semester hours which typically is achieved in 8 semesters. A full-time internship under the supervision of a board-certified music therapist is required after the academic coursework is completed. This clinical training is 1040 hours and can be completed in 6 months. At the completion of this training, the student is eligible for graduation.

Where are students typically placed for their internships?
Students may choose from a wide variety of the American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) accredited internship sites throughout the US and some in Canada. You can find a complete listing of available internship sites at:  (under "Clinical Training Facilities").

Do you offer an equivalency program for individuals who already hold degrees in music?
Yes. GC offers the Degree Equivalency Program which is intended specifically for those holding a previous degree in music. It generally takes about 2 years to complete this program although this varies depending on the courses already taken within the previous music degree. This includes a 6-month full-time, off campus internship which is required by all AMTA accredited music therapy programs. The Degree Equivalency Program provides students with the courses they need in order to be eligible to take the national music therapy certification exam, Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT). National certification with the CBMT is required for those wishing to practice music therapy in the U.S. Students pursuing the Degree Equivalency Program do not receive a second degree. Those wishing an additional degree may opt to complete the Degree Equivalency/Master program. They would then receive a master's degree in music therapy.

What aid is available in the form of scholarships, grants, or assistantships?
Please contact our financial aid office for information about scholarships and grants. In addition there are scholarships available for music therapy majors based on musicianship. To be considered, a student would need to audition with us the year prior to attending. You can find information concerning our auditions at: Music Therapy students would be eligible and should apply for both Music & Theatre scholarships and Music Therapy Scholarships.

What areas of research do your faculty members specialize in?
The undergraduate and degree equivalency music therapy programs are generalist programs – meaning that students are trained to work in all areas. As a result, our faculty is qualified in all areas.

Contact Information
Dr. Chesley Mercado
Campus Box 67
Milledgeville, GA 31061
Phone 478-445-2645
Fax 478-445-2645 

Flowers in front of Arts & Sciences
A-Z Sitewide Index
About the site
Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; Admissions: 478-445-2774 •