The Office of Mentored Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors provides up to $500 in travel support for first presenter/author and up to $300 for the second presenter/author. Travel support is available only for those presenting their original mentored research at a research conference or creative endeavors scholarly event/scholarly conference. There are costs not covered for student conference travel; therefore, before filling out the budget and signature page required in the application process, please refer to the section on this webpage "Follow these steps BEFORE completing and submitting your request for travel reimbursement" for guidance as to acceptable budget items.
Please Note: Your college or department may have additional funding to supplement the travel support you receive from MURACE. Once you have received approval for your proposal from MURACE, and you need additional funding support, please contact the Honor’s program if you are an Honor’s student; your Dean’s Office if you are in the College of Business, the College of Education, or the College of Health Sciences; your Department Chairperson if your major is in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Acceptance of applications for undergraduate student research travel funding begins the first week of classes of the every fall semester and end one week before the end every spring semester (applications for travel during the summer must be submitted no later than one week before the end of the spring semester). Applications for MURACE travel support are reviewed every Wednesday. To receive prompt consideration of your application, you must submit it NO LATER THAN 5 p.m. on Tuesday. Applications received after 5 p.m. on Tuesdays will be reviewed the Wednesday of the following week.
For more details before filling out the application, click here: DETAILS
Follow these steps BEFORE completing and submitting your request for travel reimbursement:
- Save originals of all of your travel-related receipts, including your conference registration receipt, air and ground travel (taxis, airport shuttles) receipts, hotel receipt, receipts for meals, gasoline receipts, etc.
- Save a copy of the conference program. You will need to provide a copy of the conference schedule, usually listed near the front of the program, and a copy of the page listing your presentation that includes your name and title of your presentation.
- Make notes of your reflections on the conference experience. Use the reflection template as a guide for reflecting on the experience.
Follow these steps WITHIN TEN DAYS AFTER you return from the conference:
- Review Georgia College's travel reimbursement policies before completing your reimbursement request.
- Click on and download the reimbursement form nongcemployeetravelexpensestatement.doc. Meet with your faculty mentor for assistance with completing the form. IMPORTANT: Please complete the form electronically before printing it. Handwritten forms will not be accepted. The form will automatically total all of your costs. You should include the travel dates and the costs for the registration fee, meals not covered by conference or hotel at Georgia per diem rates, and fuel costs. Refer to this document for instructions on completing the form: http://www.gcsu.edu/sites/files/page-assets/node-500/attachments/travelexpensestatement_with_explanations.pdf. (NOTE: Hover over the pop-up icons to read specific instructions for the highlighted sections.)
- Photocopy and scan all of your receipts (registration fee, meals not covered by conference, hotel receipt, airfare receipt, ground transportation (if approved) and fuel receipts if you drove) and a copy of the travel fund approval letter and save as a single PDF file.
- Photocopy and scan the conference agenda page and the conference program page that indicates your name as a presenter and the time and date of your presentation and save as a PDF file.
- Complete and sign a W-9 form photocopy, scan, and save as a PDF file. Note: When you complete the W-9 form, check the "individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC" box in section 3 of the form.
- Sign the completed travel reimbursement form, print, scan, save as a PDF file, and submit it, the scan of your receipts and approval letter, the scan of the W-9 form, and the scan of the conference agenda and conference program page to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and submit your reflection here when you submit your completed reimbursement request form.
____ Included all receipts and scanned to a PDF file.
____ Included scanned copy of travel approval as a PDF file.
____ Included scanned copy of the conference agenda indicating which meals were included during the conference.
____ Included scanned copy of page indicating the date and time of your presentation.
____ Included scanned copy of completed W-9.
____ Included scanned copy of the travel reimbursement form.
____ Completed reflection.
If you have any questions about the travel grant application or reimbursement process, please contact us at email@example.com or 478-445-1248.