Welcome to Outdoor Education at Georgia College
Thank you for your interest in outdoor education academic programs at Georgia College.
If you are looking for a program that focuses on the use of outdoor activities to promote holistic wellness, stewardship of natural environments, and opportunities for positive change in groups and group members - one of our programs may be right for you!
If you are interested in working with faculty who value service learning, scholarship, experiential learning, and teaching excellence - our community of learners may be the fit you are looking for!
If you can imagine your future out of the box - one of our programs may be your ticket to success!
• Our programs are one of six programs of distinction at Georgia College that include the M.Ed. in Outdoor Education Administration, the B.S. in Outdoor Education, the minor in outdoor education, and the Outdoor Center at Georgia College
• Our programs are one of only five programs in the United States that are accredited by the Association for Experiential Education
• Our programs received the Georgia College Program Excellence Award (2007) Our graduate and undergraduate programs build on the unique mission and culture of the Georgia's Public Liberal Arts University by placing our commitment to excellence at the center of our work
• Our programs received the Organizational Member of the Year award from the Association for Experiential Education for its maintenance of innovative and outstanding programming at consistently high standards and demonstrated consistent commitment and support for the work of AEE (2006)
• Our faculty has received Georgia College and national awards for teaching excellence and servant leadership
• The Outdoor Center at Georgia College offers our students opportunities to enhance their professional development by providing leadership to a wide range of Georgia College, community, and professional groups
• Our home at East Campus is 10 minutes from main campus and includes the Outdoor Center Cabin, Lake Laurel Lodge, the Equipment and Rations Distribution Center, our state of the art challenge course, natural teaching areas, and our boat shed
• Our faculty, students, and alumni have a long standing history of recognition for academic and teaching excellence, and professional leadership
Graduate and undergraduate programs in outdoor education have recently been added to the Academic Common Market. Students from Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia may be eligible for in-state tuition rates if there are no public institutions in their home state that offer a degree in outdoor education. More information can be found on the Southern Regional Education Board website.
Dr. Jude Hirsch
Campus Box 121
Milledgeville, GA 31061
The Department of Outdoor Education