Community Health (15 h)
The minor in Community Health prepares students to integrate health education into applications and settings associated with other major areas of study or to enable a student to complete pre-requisite requirements for application to the Master of Education in Kinesiology: Health Promotion. Students interested in this option are advised to make an appointment with Dr. Barbara Funke (email@example.com) to discuss options related to career options.
Outdoor Education (15 h)
The minor in outdoor education includes 9 required credit hours and 6 elective credit hours.
Program of Study (.doc)
Why do a minor in outdoor education?
• The minor in Outdoor Education provides an opportunity to integrate the study of outdoor education theory and practice with another major area of study that is complementary or for which a career goal is to incorporate outdoor education techniques or settings.
• The minor in outdoor education positions a student for application to the M.Ed. in Outdoor Education Administration.
• The minor in outdoor education may contribute to applications to other advanced study such as social work, psychology, business, or education programs that welcome a diverse group of student applications.
• The minor in outdoor education develops life skills and knowledge that contributes to holistic wellness, fosters stewardship of natural environments, and offers opportunities for positive personal and professional growth.
• The minor in outdoor education offers an avenue to apply to work at the Outdoor Center at Georgia College and gain leadership experience with a wide range of client groups.
1 Outdoor activities by their nature involve inherent risk. Every effort is made to provide programs that respect emotional, social, intellectual, and physical safety. However, it is impossible to anticipate all factors that impact safety. Students acknowledge their understanding of and agreement to participate in potentially unsafe programs by signing appropriate risk management forms.
Physical Education (18 h)
The minor in Physical Education is designed to enable a student to complete pre-requisite requirements for application to the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT): Physical Education (K-12 Health and Physical Education Teacher Certification). Students majoring in disciplines outside the School of Health and Human Performance who are interested in the MAT application option are advised to make an appointment with Dr. Lisa Griffin (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss potential activity-based options that are required for teacher certification in the State of Georgia.
Dr. Lisa Griffin
106 Parks Memorial Building
Campus Box 112
Milledgeville, GA 31061