Outdoor Education Program Goals & Objectives
Program Goal 1: Graduates are technically proficient in a variety of outdoor activities.
- Students will demonstrate competency in challenge course activities.
- Students will demonstrate competency in land- and water-based activities.
- Students will demonstrate mastery in activity-specific skills.
Program Goal 2: Graduates are prepared to integrate experiential education theory and philosophy in outdoor education programs.
- Students will plan programs for a wide range of client groups, contexts, and outcomes.
- Students will apply experiential strategies to program implementation.
- Students will assess program effectiveness using a variety of strategies.
Program Goal 3: Graduates are prepared to manage actual and perceived risk according to industry standards and preferred practice.
- Students will implement organizational risk management policy and procedures.
- Students will integrate risk management concepts and strategies into program design, implementation, and evaluation.
- Students will respond appropriately to emergencies common to outdoor programs.
Program Goal 4: Graduates are prepared to provide leadership for a range of client groups and program outcomes.
- Students will apply models and concepts of transformational leadership to specific outdoor education settings.
- Students will facilitate group dynamics to maximize team effectiveness.
- Students will exhibit effective problem solving, decision making, and communication skills.
- Students will apply ethical principles to common professional issues.
Program Goal 5: Graduates are prepared to assume civic and environmental responsibilities associated with the practice of outdoor education.
- Students will examine the role of environmental education and interpretation in outdoor education.
- Students will assess the impact of social and environmental issues on the delivery of outdoor education programs and services.
- Students will interpret natural and cultural history for outdoor education programs.
- Students will develop a professional environmental philosophy.
Program Goal 6: Graduates are prepared to advocate for the profession.
- Students will interpret the impact of historical, theoretical, philosophical foundations on the practice of outdoor education.
- Students will analyze critical issues in outdoor education.
- Students will create a personal vision for the professional.
- Students will engage in professional practice.
Dr. Jeff Turner
Parks Memorial 204
Campus Box 112
Milledgeville, GA 31061