Student Academic Bill of Rights and Responsibilities
(For all students enrolled at Georgia College)
Section I. Student Academic Bill of Rights
BE IT RESOLVED, by the Student Government Association of Georgia College, that university policies and procedures shall be interpreted so as to afford students enrolled at Georgia College the following academic rights:
- The right to receive a syllabus for each course at the beginning of every semester that documents the expected learning outcomes, grading criteria, and course rules; being informed by the professor of any changes or modifications made to the syllabus with ample time to adjust to new modifications.
- The right to attend classes during regularly scheduled times without penalty if student is absent from instructional, lab, or examination times scheduled outside of the originally agreed upon times, unless cited in the original syllabi .
- The right to consult with an assigned and qualified advisor for a reasonable amount of time each term.
- The right to consult with faculty outside usual classroom times such as regularly scheduled office hours, by appointment, or online.
- The right to receive realistic evaluation of academic standing and performance in a class prior to the point at which one may withdraw from the course without penalty.
- The right to have graded work returned in a fashion deemed appropriate by the syllabi.
- The right to have time, as allocated by the syllabus, to complete a course requirement.
- The right of each student to receive access to any of his/her records kept by the institution.
- The right of each student to have access to his/her graded course materials.
- The right to be informed of the grade appeals process.
- The right to be informed of the university approved definition of academic dishonesty.
- The right to an intellectually diverse learning environment that exposes students to and provides the free exchange of ideas regarding a variety of political, ideological, and other perspectives.
Section II. Student Academic Responsibilities
BE IT RESOLVED, by the Student Government Association of Georgia College, that, in consonance with the Student Academic Bill of Rights, students bear the following academic responsibilities:
- The responsibility to read and be familiar with all syllabi.
- The responsibility to come to class having all needed materials and assignments completed for that class period.
- The responsibility to consult a designated advisor when appropriate.
- The responsibility to approach faculty with questions or concerns.
- The responsibility to complete assignments on time.
- The responsibility to share your thoughts and input in class discussion.
- The responsibility to be attentive in class and to participate where needed/appropriate.
- The responsibility to show respect to faculty and fellow students inside and outside of the classroom.
- The responsibility to network with your classmates in the event of an absence.
- The responsibility to utilize campus facilities to enhance the learning experience.
- The responsibility to know and follow the Georgia College Honor Code and Code of Conduct.
Approved by the Georgia College University Senate, April 5, 2006