Visas and Residencies Overview J-1 Exchange Visitor H-1B Temp. Worker O-1 Person of Extraordinary Ability TN Visas Permanent Residency Fees Consulate Locations Payment to International Visitors Notes to Chairs
H-1B H-1B Overview Sponsorship Process Changes in Employment Traveling outside the U.S.
Permanent Residency Permanent Residency Overview 3 Paths to PR Sponsorship Process Advertising and Recruitment Adjustment of Status

O-1 Visa

The O-1 visa is used for individuals of “extraordinary ability,” which is defined as a person who is at the very top of his/her profession. To qualify for this visa, the individual must demonstrate sustained national or international acclaim and recognition for achievements in the field of expertise, through a record of publications and awards. 

GC must file a petition with the USCIS that includes a statement from an appropriate peer group or labor organization with expertise in the specific field regarding the work to be done and the person’s qualifications. Following the approval of the petition, the O visa is issued by a U.S. consulate.

GC pays the basic filing fees for the O-1 visa.

A person holding an O visa may apply for permanent resident status.

For more information regarding visas and residencies please contact the Office of Legal Affairs.
Additional documents and information is needed for all visa(s) and PERM applications:
Additional Documents/Information (doc.)

Clock tower at student housing
A-Z Sitewide Index
About the site
Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; Admissions: 478-445-2774 •