Visas and Residencies Overview J-1 Exchange Visitor H-1B Temp. Worker O-1 Person of Extraordinary Ability TN Visas Permanent Residency Fees Consulate Locations Payment to International Visitors Notes to Chairs
H-1B H-1B Overview Sponsorship Process Changes in Employment Traveling outside the U.S.
Permanent Residency Permanent Residency Overview 3 Paths to PR Sponsorship Process Advertising and Recruitment Adjustment of Status

H-1B Visa Overview

The H-1B visa is the most common temporary work visa found in higher education and must be sponsored by Georgia College. This visa is granted for an initial period of three (3) years and can be renewed for an additional three (3) years with a maximum allowance of six (6) years.

The H-1B is a "specialty occupation" category that most colleges and universities use to employ international residents. The Immigration Act of 1990 defines specialty occupation as: "an occupation which requires theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge to fully perform the occupation." In order to qualify for the H-1B status, the position for which the person is hired must require a minimum do a Bachelor's degree in a specialty field, and the international employee must hold that specific degree.

Forms and Documents

Immigration Handbook (pdf)

Department Application for H-1B Sponsorship (link) or

Department Application for H-1B Sponsorship (pdf)

Early Termination Notification (pdf)

Traveling with an H-1B visa or H-1B status (pdf)

H-1B Travel Checklist (pdf)

Immigration Rights and Responsibilities for H-1B holders (pdf)

MOA for H-1B holders (pdf)

Immigration Glossary (pdf)

Around Campus Image
A-Z Sitewide Index
About the site
Georgia College • 231 W. Hancock St. • Milledgeville, GA 31061 • 1-800-342-0471 ; Admissions: 478-445-2774 •