Policies, Rules and Regulations
General Policies | Accidents/Injuries | ADA Statement | AED/CPR | Alcohol/Drugs/Smoking | Animals | Attire/Footwear | Cell Phones | Computer Use | Damages | Ejection | Equipment Checkout | Food/Beverages | Locker Rental | Lost/Found | Postings | Solicitation | Towel Policy | WRC Refund Policy
- Per the Board of Regents and GC Council, no one under the age of 18 is allowed in the Wellness and Recreation Center. GC students, minors accompanied by an adult on an official GC Tour, and structured events are the only exceptions.
outside the main entrance.
- No bicycles or scooters are allowed in the WRC.
- Bicycle racks are located outside the main entrance.
- Skateboards may not be ridden in the WRC and may be stored in the lockers located in the locker rooms on the first floor.
- Roller blades may only be worn on the Multi-purpose Court.
- WRC televisions channels are set and/or changed by WRC staff only.
- Personal radios are only allowed with headphones.
- Use of informal activity spaces when not scheduled/reserved (including priority scheduling) is first come, first serve.
- Spitting in the common areas or activity areas such as courts, track, etc., is not permitted.
- Personal items shall not be left or placed on the floor or on equipment. Individuals may utilize the locker rooms on the first floor or the wallet lockers and cubbies provided throughout the facility.
- The WRC is not responsible for lost or stolen property.
- Staff members are not permitted to hold equipment, valuables, or bags for participants.
- A closing announcement will be made approximately 30, 15, and 5 minutes prior to closing. At which time all participants are expected to finish their activity, re-rack all weight equipment, return any checked-out equipment, finish showering and exit the WRC by closing time.
- The WRC facility may not be used for private or commercial purposes unless such activity has been approved by WRC Management. Examples of prohibited activity include (but are not limited to): personal training, private instruction, sales, etc.
- Areas within the WRC and equipment shall be used for intended purposes only.
- Weight bars and dumbbells are intended for the weight floor surface only. Weights and equipment are not to be taken outside of their designated areas (i.e. track, Group Fitness Studio, Cardio area).
- Members should report any concerns about the facility and/or equipment to Member Services or the Area Supervisor as soon as possible.
- Questions concerning these policies should be directed to WRC Management or a supervisor on duty.
Any accident, injury, or related incident occurring at the WRC should be reported immediately to a Management Staff member or a Supervisor on duty. The Supervisor should administer first aid as necessary using Universal Precautions. A first aid kit and ice packs are located at the Member Services desk, Fitness desk, and in the Natatorium. An ‘Accident/Incident Report’ must be completed by the staff observing the accident and submitted to the Area’s Associate Director.
The WRC is an ADA compliant facility. ADA features include (but are not limited to) an elevator accessible through the main front entrance of the facility; ADA showers; an ADA lift for the swimming pool; and various pieces of workout equipment such as, certain cardio machines, the Krank Cycle, and the functional resistance machines.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to use the WRC equipment and participate in WRC programs, services and or sponsored events. Persons with a disability, who require any accommodations in order to use the facilities or participate in activities, should contact Member Services (478-445-7777) or the GC Office of Disability Services (478-445-5931) in advance. More information regarding Disability Services is available at
Automatic external defibrillators are located at the Member Services desk, the Fitness desk, and in the Natatorium for use in heart-related emergencies. Only WRC personnel should use the device in case of such an emergency. The battery is checked on the first of each month.
The WRC is a substance-free facility. Smoking, tobacco, alcohol, and drugs are strictly prohibited. Students, Faculty/Staff, or Community Members who violate this policy will be subject to disciplinary action and penalties in accordance with the Honor Code and Code of Conduct as published in the Student Handbook of Georgia College and State University. For complete details regarding the University’s alcohol, drugs, and smoking policies, please see the Georgia College Student Life Handbook: Institutional Standards and Administrative Policies available at http://www.gcsu.edu/studentlife/handbook/adminpolicies.htm.
Only service animals are permitted in the WRC. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) allows service animals to accompany persons with disabilities on the GC campus. The ADA defines service animal as any dog individually trained to provide assistance to a person with a disability. For more information and the complete policy regarding animals, see the Office of Disability Services at http://www.gcsu.edu/disability/index.htm.
The WRC reserves the right to determine the acceptability of all exercise attire. WRC staff decisions concerning appropriate clothing will be final. Failure to dress properly will result in denial of use of the WRC and/or participation in WRC activities.
Appropriate exercise attire is required at all times.
- Sandals, slides, and open-toed shoes are not permitted in any activity area throughout the WRC. Full athletic footwear must be worn when participating in any activity. The only exceptions are the pool deck and special Group Fitness Classes such as, Yoga.
- Shoes that mark floors, have open toes or heels, and turf shoes are prohibited in court and exercise areas.
Sleeveless shirts of any kind, big hoop-neck/off-the-shoulder shirts, mesh tops, and mid-drifts are not permitted. The only exceptions are the pool deck , group fitness classes, and official Rec Sports competitions.
Shoes, shirts, shorts/pants must be worn at all times.
Denim, zippered, metal riveted, and cargo shorts/pants are prohibited due to the risk of ripping equipment upholstery and risk of injury.
Clothing with offensive language, designs, and/or pictures or which others may find offensive is not acceptable, in accordance with the GC Code of Conduct.
Shorts must be long enough to cover the buttocks and groin when the participant exercises or moves. Appropriate support and undergarments are required at all times.
Shoes that mark floors, have open toes or heels, and turf shoes are prohibited in court and exercise areas.
Jewelry that may cause equipment damage or pose a risk of injury should be removed.
Cell phones may be used in the common areas of the facility only. Use of cell phones and pagers is not permitted in locker rooms or while using equipment. The only exception is when a cell phone is used as a music device. Out of respect for others, we ask all persons to limit cell phone use in public areas.
WRC computers are for WRC staff only.
Participants utilizing the WRC facility and equipment assume the liability of and agree to compensate the WRC for any damage beyond normal wear and tear while being used. See the Georgia College Student Life Handbook: Honor Code and Code of Conduct available at http://www.gcsu.edu/studentlife/handbook/code.htm for the complete policy regarding prohibited acts and liability.
Noncompliance to any University or WRC policy is subject to ejection. When an individual is ejected from the facility for any reason, that individual is suspended from the WRC facility and program until (s)he has met with the Director of the Wellness and Recreation Center or his designee.
Members may check out equipment free of charge at the Member Services desk.
- The equipment is for use in the WRC and/or during WRC programming only and should be returned to the appropriate checkout location before leaving the facility or area.
- Equipment returned the following day or later will accrue a $2.00 late fee per day. Fee must be paid prior to accessing any WRC activity area.
- Collateral must be collected from WRC member in order to check-out equipment. Acceptable collateral includes: car/house keys, cell phone, driver’s license, wallet, or iPod/other small music device.
- The person checking out the equipment is responsible for the item(s). If the equipment is lost, damaged or not returned, the individual is responsible for the cost(s) to replace the equipment.
- If equipment is not returned, the WRC may suspend the participant’s membership and charge the cost of the equipment to that participant’s Georgia College account. The participant cannot regain his/her membership until the charge is paid.
- General wear and tear on equipment is the responsibility of the WRC.
- Food is NOT allowed at any time in any activity area.
- Food may only be allowed as an exception for special events if prior approval/arrangements are granted by the Director of the WRC.
- Food should be kept in the Lobby or on tile floors, including smoothies.
- Water and sports drinks in sealable, screw-top containers are the only beverages allowed in activity areas; including but not limited to wood courts, the Natatorium and pools, and all Fitness Areas and rooms. Cups without lids, carry-out cups, and tumblers are not allowed.
- All containers are subject to substance check at any time by WRC staff.
- Glass containers are prohibited at all times.
Each WRC changing facility room has 100 lockers available to users. Fifty (50) lockers are designated for day-use at no charge. The remaining fifty (50) lockers are designated for monthly rental. Wallet lockers are also available throughout the facility at no charge.
- Day-use locker contents must be removed 30 minutes before closing time each night.
- If locker not renewed and contents remain in locker,
- Locker contents will be removed and stored at the Member Services desk for seven (7) days.
- Locker contents not picked up after seven (7) days will be donated to the Georgia College GIVE Center. No compensation to the locker owner will be given if items have been donated.
- Locker rental fees are as follows.
- Locks are provided by the WRC for the Monthly Locker rentals. Personal locks will be removed immediately.
- Found items should be turned in at the Member Services desk.
- Items turned in will be recorded in the Lost & Found log.
- Valuable such as wallets, cell phones, iPods, and other technological devices will be immediately turned over to the Public Safety office. Inquiries should be directed to (478) 445-4054.
- Inquiries regarding items lost should be made at Member Services.
- Items not claimed within 7 days will be donated to the GIVE Center.
- Staff members are not permitted to hold valuables.
- The WRC is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Bulletin boards are located throughout the WRC for university approved promotional material. Bulletin boards can be found on the first floor in the main corridor, by the vending machines, in the women’s locker room and in the men’s locker room. One is also located on the second floor over the water fountain near the restrooms.
No solicitation shall be conducted in or around WRC facilities on the Georgia College campus except by the employees of the University acting in the scope of their agency or employment, or by established student organizations, in accordance with University policy. The complete policy regarding solicitation on the Georgia College campus is available at: http://www.gcsu.edu/businessandfinance/georgia_college_sponsorship_policy%28requirements_fordonations_solicitations_sponsoring%29.htm.
Towel services are not available at the WRC. However, towels and disinfectant are located throughout the Fitness area. In order to reduce the risk of infection, members are expected to clean each piece of equipment immediately following use. Fitness Assistants will place clean towels hourly.
Participants may request a refund for the following courses or services by completing a Refund Request Form at the Member Services desk:
- CPR/AED, First Aid Certification Course
- Lifeguarding Certification Course
- Personal Training
- Climbing Wall Gear Rental
- Climbing Wall Belay Classes
Refund requests related to any Rec Sport/Intramural event should be directed to the Office of Rec Sports. Individuals may call 478-445-0664 or email email@example.com.
All refund requests will be reviewed and approved by the Area Supervisor where the service is being provided. Individuals will be contacted directly as to the status of request.
A Refund Request Form must be submitted to Member Services and approved by the Associate Director of that area for cancellations within 48 hours of the course start date; otherwise, no refund will be issued.