First-Year Students: Find Your Leadership Path
The Emerging Leaders Program allows students to clarify personal values, explore professional interests, develop their leadership skills, and get involved at GC and in the community.
Emerging Leaders will receive
- a personalized leadership assessment
- personalized recommendations for leadership development at Georgia College
- 1:1 leadership consultations with Leadership Programs staff members
- designated peer mentor to support first-year GC transition
- day-long leadership challenge hosted by the Outdoor Center at Georgia College
- programming to support leadership development
- workshops designed to meet your schedule
- preferential registration for university-wide leadership development workshops
- small cohort of first-year peers
At the heart of the Emerging Leaders Program, peer mentors lead the program, hosting many of its events and programs, and as the first-year students’ primary point of contact as they transition into university life.
- Serve as ambassadors for the Office of Leadership Programs, representing Georgia College and the office in a professional manner at all times.
- Build and maintain positive personal relationships with members of the Emerging Leaders Program, based on mutual respect and trust.
- Act in an engaging and inclusive manner with program participants, helping to provide a safe and welcoming environment for all students to share ideas, experiences, and perspectives.
- Communicate effectively with program participants, fellow peer mentors, and Leadership Programs faculty and staff members.
- Work collaboratively with fellow peer mentors to plan and facilitate engaging and informative events and activities to support program participants’ leadership development.
- Continue their own personal leadership development by practicing effective leadership and reflecting upon their own learning experiences.
- Peer mentors must be returning Georgia College students
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
Students who complete the Emerging Leaders Program will:
- be prequalified for admission to Georgia College Leadership Program
- fulfill one requirement of the GC Journeys sequence
Students additionally receive their program t-shirt, group lunches and dinners, a spring picnic, and recognition at an end-of-year banquet.
Registration Deadline: August 9, 2019. To register for Emerging Leaders, you must:
- be a first-year student, beginning in the summer or fall 2019 term.
- be willing and able to participate in program events and activities throughout the year, some of which may take place evenings and weekends.
- be committed to maintaining good Academic Standing and abiding by the GC Honor Code
No previous leadership experience required. Program fee: $95