The Order of Omega was founded at the University of Miami in the fall of 1959 by a group of outstanding fraternity men who felt that individuals in the Greek community should be recognized for their service to the fraternity system and the university. The Miami chapter had long desired to expand to other colleges and universities. The chapter gave its sanction to Dean Patrick W. Halloran to make initial inquiries and to further grant charters to universities that were accredited and interested in the purpose of the Order of Omega. Members of the Order of Omega make up the top three percent of Greek students based on academic achievements. The organization became coed in 1977 and now has over four hundred chapters in the United States.
The Rho Xi chapter of The National Order of Omega was chartered at Georgia College in November 1998. Membership is open to qualified junior and senior undergraduate Greek-affiliated students by application each year. The purpose of Order of Omega is to RECOGNIZE fraternity men and sorority women who have a high standard of leadership in their fraternal organizations, to ENCOURAGE them to continue along this line, and to INSPIRE others to strive for similar attainment.