Frequently Asked Questions and Housing Definitions

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions. If your answer doesn't appear below, please contact our office via email or at 478-445-5160.


The only pets allowed are fish in a 10 gallon or smaller tank.

Cable is included.

Wireless Internet is available across campus. Internet access in residence halls and at The Village has been boosted to offer you the fastest access available in Milledgeville.

We offer extended cable. You can find the channel line-up here (pdf).

You can request a specific roommate and list your preference for a residence hall or The Village apartment, but there is no guarantee of being placed in a specific space.

You may request a specific roommate on your housing application/contract. Roommate requests must be mutual. We recommend that you and your potential roommate apply at the same time to increase the possibility of living together. Roommate requests can be honored in most cases as long as both applications are received by April 1.

All suites are of the same gender. All floors house suites of both men and women.

Weapons and firearms, halogen lamps, toaster ovens, hot plates, space heaters, flaming items including candles and incense, coffee pots with exposed heating elements and any items or appliances the university deems potentially dangerous. More information will be provided prior to opening in the fall. Refer to the Housing Handbook for more details. 

In the residence halls, refrigerators no larger than 4.3 cubic feet and 2 running amps and microwave no larger than 800 watts are allowed. No cooking appliances with exposed heating elements are allowed. Fire safety requirements require cooking to be done only in kitchens provided in each hall. More information will be provided prior to opening of the residence halls. Each apartment at The Village includes a full kitchen with microwave, stove top, oven, full-size fridge, dishwasher and garbage disposal. Residents of The Village may bring their own small appliances. Refer to the Housing Handbook for more details.  

Mattresses in the residence halls are extra-long twin (36 inches x 80 inches). Mattresses at The Village are standard full-size. To shop for bedding and other room accessories, visit the Dorm Co website.

You have the option of renting or purchasing a loft in any of the residence halls. Please note that Bell Hall and The Village already have lofts.

Students have the option of renting lofts and microfridges/microwaves from College Products. Visit their website for more information.

The University Housing contract is a legal agreement and is binding for the fall and spring semesters. Contracts at The Village are for 12 months.
Meal plans can be increased at any time, but can only be lowered until Aug. 1 for the fall semester and Dec. 1 for the spring semester by contacting the University Housing Office.
After the first two weeks of the semester, room changes can be requested online.  Instructions can be found here

Students should apply and submit their room reservation/security deposit as soon as possible. Rooms are assigned by the date the contract is completed. A complete contract includes application and payment. Roommate requests can be honored in most cases as long as both applications are received by April 1.

The Village is apartment style living designed for students who would like more independence than the residence halls provide.

Financial aid can apply toward residence hall and The Village fees.

The campus shuttle is available at no additional charge. There are multiple shuttles running all day and late into the night. 

Only under special request by all occupants in the same apartment.

You can choose your roommate(s), or we can assign a roommate for you.

Parking is available near each building on Central Campus or West Campus. 

Please refer to the parking website. 

Each bedroom is equipped with an emergency notification button that summons Public Safety. In addition, University Housing facilities utilize swipe card access. The GC campus is constantly patrolled by Public Safety Officers and utilizes security cameras. Emergency Call Boxes are strategically placed throughout campus and a student may use these boxes to summon Public Safety if needed.  

We highly recommend that each student review their insurance coverage before arriving on campus. In some cases a student living in the residence halls may be covered by a parents' homeowner's or renter's insurance. For more information or to purchase college student property insurance, visit the Grad Guard website.

All utilities such as water, electricity, garbage and sewer are included with your rent.

Washers and dryers on Central Campus operate on Cat Cash by swiping your Bobcat Card. Click here to make a Bobcat Card deposit. Laundry machines at The Village are free.

Several care package options are available through the Georgia College Resident Student Association. You can learn more about care packages and place orders here

The number one way to get to know people is to get involved. There are plenty of social activities that go on all the time. In addition, each fall, we start the year off with the Week of Welcome - a week of events to provide opportunities for new students to meet each other. Talk with your CA or Community Director for more information..

Living with someone new can be challenging - especially when they come from a background different from you. We recommend all roommates complete the Roommate / Suite mate Agreement to help create a framework for what is and is not acceptable between roommates and suite mates. 


Housing Definitions

Community Advisor (CA) – The CA is a current student, employed and trained by University Housing who lives in the residence halls or The Village Apartments with the upperclassmen residents.  The CA is a valuable resource and connects students to the campus resources they need.  In addition to answering questions and assisting with everyday needs, CAs also build community in the residence halls by hosting events and activities. 

GRHO (Georgia Residence Hall Organization) – GRHO is a statewide organization that serves as the regional voice of residence hall students in Georgia and works to provide leadership opportunities.

Community Director (CD) - The CD is a professional staff member who lives in the residence halls and works with the CA staff to build hall community and assist residents.  CDs are experienced staff members with extensive training who supervise the CA staff and ensure issues within their buildings are addressed in a timely manner.  

Resident Student Association (RSA) – RSA is the student organization that represents on-campus students.  RSA meets weekly in open meetings and has representatives from each hall in attendance. 

NACURH (National Association of College and University Residence Halls) – NACURH is a national, student run organization that promotes living on campus as an integral part of the college experience. 

National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH) – NRHH is a student organization comprised of the top 1% of the on-campus population. The primary objective of this organization is recognition. 

Maxwell Student Union (MSU) – located on Front Campus, the MSU holds key offices and The Max dining hall where meals are served.

SAACURH (South Atlantic Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls) – a national student organization that attempts to improve communities within college residence halls by providing network opportunities through conferences and other resources designed to help schools improve their residence hall organizations.

West Campus – The Village Apartments are located at West Campus.  West Campus is approximately one mile away from Central Campus on the 441 Bypass and is accessible by GC shuttle.