A one-of-a-kind partnership between Georgia College and the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, the GEM Program prepares the next generation of Georgia's leaders for the public good. A mentorship and leadership program, GEM matches students with senior state leaders for a yearlong partnership that creates mutual benefit between Georgia College and its partners.
Why the GEM Program?
- Mentorship from one of Georgia's top leaders
- Signature retreats, conferences, and travel opportunities
- Networking with nationally recognized leaders, executives, and elected officials
- Customized one-on-one leadership coaching
- Holistic approach to leadership development
- One of Georgia's most respected leadership programs with a proven record of impact
GEM Program: A Summary
|Program Duration||8 months|
|Cohort Size||25 student participants|
|Cost||$0. All program materials included.|
|Leadership Coaching Consultations||5+|
60-75 minutes per week
Through GEM, students learn the skills they need to fill the ranks of Georgia's next generation of leaders.
Leading others depends on our ability to build relationships and to bring people together. Through GEM, you'll become part of a network you can rely on as you lead for the public good.
ADVOCACY, POLICY, AND THOUGHT LEADERSHIP
Georgia's global competitiveness relies on effective policy and thought leadership and the community, state, and national levels. In partnership with the Georgia Chamber of Commerce, you will learn and practice the skills to propel Georgia into the 21st century.
BRINGING TOGETHER THE PUBLIC, PRIVATE, AND NONPROFIT SECTORS
To confront the challenges of tomorrow, our leaders must be social entrepreneurs, able to forge connections between government, private business, and nonprofits. Through GEM, you will build relationships that transcend boundaries, bringing people together for the public good.
Building relationships is only the start. You'll learn how to nourish and sustain those relationships; you'll work with others to achieve your goals and inspire a shared vision.
LEADERSHIP IN GEORGIA
You’ll encounter leadership up close, working closely with business leaders, elected officials, nonprofit executives. In partnership with your mentor, you'll learn the nuts and bolts of leadership in Georgia and how to effect positive change across our state.
ETHICS IN LEADERSHIP
Good leadership requires honesty, integrity, and authenticity. Through GEM, you will practice the ethical reasoning required of leaders and explore with your mentor how leaders do what they know to be right, even in the face of challenge.
INFLUENCING AND SHAPING PUBLIC DISCOURSE
Leadership requires us to speak out powerfully and passionately. With the support of your mentor, your colleagues, and your professors, you will identify what change you hope to make in the world and scout a path toward achieving your goals.
25 student participants
$0. All program materials included.
Leadership Coaching Consultations
60-75 minutes per week
Application and Selection
Application deadlines are March 1st for admission. To qualify for application to the GEM Program, students must:
- Have completed at least sixty credit hours by the anticipated start of their program experience.
- Be a returning Georgia College student, having successfully completed at minimum the previous fall and spring academic term at GC.
- Hold a minimum grade-point average of 3.0.
- Be willing and able to enroll in the program's required course, "Georgia Education Mentorship" (LEAD 2100) in both the fall and spring term of their participation, and complete all program requirements.
- Maintain Good Academic Standing, as defined by the University Registrar, and abide by the Georgia College Honor Code.
- Hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable access to transportation.
On behalf of the Office of Leadership programs, the director of leadership programs will invite qualified students to accept admission into the program and will register them for LEAD 2100.
Applicants will be notified by May 1st of their admission status.
Continue Your Leadership Journey
Georgia College's Leadership Certificate Program provides students the opportunity to learn the principles of effective leadership and to acquire hands-on learning experience beyond the classroom.
Our signature study-abroad program, based in the European capital of Strasbourg, provides and engaging and interactive study of leadership across cultures, as well as practical training in human rights, dispute resolution, social responsibility, peace-building, and intercultural negotiation.
Georgia College offers a range of specialized leadership-development opportunities. Through strategic partnerships across the university, we offer focused leadership experiences related to nursing, business ethics, journalism, international politics, and more.