Planning Meetings, Events and Activities

Event Planning Process

Many resources are available to help faculty, staff, students, and the public plan events on the GC campus. The Department of Public Services assists by reserving space for meetings, receptions, rehearsals, noncredit courses, and other nonacademic programs. The department also supervises a number of high-demand campus facilities including the Centennial Center Complex, Russell Auditorium, Chappell Hall, Lake Laurel Lodge, the tennis courts and pools, and Miller Dance Studio. One of the privileges associated with being officially recognized as a student organization is the ability to utilize these on and off-campus facilities for organizational events. It is the intent of Georgia College & State University to promote a wide variety of activities and to ensure successful events by assisting student organizations when possible.

Section 1:  Student Organization Activities and Events

In order to sponsor any activity on campus, an organization must be approved by the Student Government Association and the Department of Campus Life. Thereafter, organizations must register annually with the Department of Campus Life to sponsor events, activities or to reserve space on-campus. There may be many steps and approval processes involved in the successful execution of your event. The event approval process is in place to ensure that all of those steps are being followed correctly by each student organization.


All student organizations' general membership meetings held on campus must be open to the public unless:

  • It is exempted by the organization's state or national policies or charters.  This must be stated in your organization's constitution.

It is a closed session that was previously added to the agenda or added to the agenda with a majority vote (2/3) of the members and officers of the organization at the start of each meeting. Regular business meetings are scheduled through Public Services via the Facility Reservation System 25Live. Weekly organization meetings are always subject to the event approval process on a per meeting basis if any portion of the meeting's activities requires further approval. Student organizations who misuse their weekly meetings for other purposes or events without obtaining proper approvals may be subject to disciplinary action.


All student organization events held on-campus or funded by the university requires registration with Public Services via the Facility Reservation System (25Live) and approval by the Department of Campus Life before the event may occur. Some of the parameters, which mark an event for further reviews to be included in the approval process, are:

  • Events open to the public (campus or community)
  • Fundraising (charge or donation)
  • Controversial speakers or performers
  • Outdoor amplified sound
  • Large outdoor displays
  • Dispensing of any food or beverage
  • Dispensing of alcoholic beverages
  • Sales of any type
  • Ticketed or admission-based events
  • Commercial representation
  • Use of copyrighted materials for public distribution or use
  • Recruitment efforts by off-campus organizations
  • Transportation
  • Physical activity
  • Organizational fairs
  • Events involving themes, costuming or activities that might portray inappropriate stereotypes of racial, cultural, religious, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or other protected classes.

Reviews shall involve the event sponsor and a Campus Life representative to examine event logistics including staging and properties, food handling, safety, parking, and activities that might be perceived as demeaning or degrading. The Department of Campus Life may invite representatives from the campus community to advise it on the above areas. During such types of events, a representative from Campus Life and the student organization's on-campus faculty/staff advisor may be required to facilitate and monitor the activities.

Section 2:  On-Campus Event Approval

There are several important steps to observe when planning your event. To make sure that your event is well organized and ready for review by Public Services and Campus Life, remember to follow these steps. Keep in mind that many of these processes require the requestor to be a listed officer in your organization.

Contact Campus Life at (478) 445-4027 if you have any questions regarding student organization use of facilities.
If the event is on campus: Utilize and complete the 25Live Facility Reservation Online form to make a tentative space reservation for the facility you would like to use.
All events are tentative until approved by Campus Life and Public Services via the 25Live Facility Reservation System.
The student organization officer who submitted the 25Live form will receive an email notification from Public Services/25Live with the status of the event.
After approval of your event, it is a good idea to check in and reconfirm with all of the parties involved in making your event a success, including your advisor.

Section 3:  Appearances, Appeals, and Waivers

Representatives from a student organization may be requested to appear before Campus Life or called upon to provide clarification about event approval requests. Failure to appear or to respond may result in the event request not being approved. Requests for waivers of university policies may be made in person and/or in writing to the Director of Campus Life. Appeals of decisions made by the Director of Campus Life should be directed to the Dean of Students.

Section 4: Facility Use and Reservations  

Statement on Use of University Facilities 
A wide variety of campus buildings and other facilities are available for recreational and non-instructional use by students, faculty, staff, and campus guests provided this use does not interfere with the educational mission of the university.  GC reserves the right to establish standards of time, place, and manner of all campus activities and events occurring on campus property or in the name of the university regardless of location, and to set further requirements on the activity itself, including but not limited to size and duration, sound level, concessions, security, ticketing, Environmental Health and Occupational Safety (EHOS) standards, publicity, insurance, facility rental requirements, and damage repair.

Section 5: Reserving Georgia College Facilities       

The GC campus has many facilities for use by student organizations for events and meetings.  Academic, athletic, residential facilities and outdoor spaces are maintained, reserved, and managed by university departments.  All reservable space is managed by Public Services and each facility is governed by the facility use policies set forth by the university.  To reference the Policy in its entirety, please visit the Public Services website or call 478-445-2749.  


There are several important steps to observe when making a reservation. To ensure that your event is well organized and to make the review process by the Facility Reservations Office as quickly as possible, remember to follow these steps:

• Facility requests should be made to Public Services through the 25Live event scheduling system, not directly to building managers as this confuses the process and creates additional work.  It is recommended that all requests be submitted to Public Services at least seven (7) business days prior to the date of the event.

• Before submitting your request, first view the university's 25Live WebViewer which provides a real-time display of all of the credit courses and non-academic events that have been scheduled into campus facilities.  The WebViewer will enable you to see which facilities might be available for your event and to determine if there are other events that might compete for audiences or campus support services.  To reserve campus space through the department's Facility Reservations Office, complete the online Facility Request Form by clicking on the My Requests link at the top of the WebViewer page.
• If you are new to 25Live, you may download a tutorial of the 25Live facility reservation process at 25Live WebViewer Tutorial. 

When facility requests are received by Public Services, they are forwarded through 25Live to the appropriate building manager for review and approval/denial.  By agreement with the deans, building managers are to reply to Public Services within 48 hours of receiving a facility request.  The building manager will evaluate each request, taking into consideration the following:

• Availability of space for the date(s) requested 
• Suitability of the event for the requested location 
• Number of persons expected to attend the event 
• Presence of alcohol 
• Duration of the event

Once reviewed, the building manager will approve or deny the request online through 25Live, noting any special instructions that may apply to the use of the facility.  Upon receipt, Public Services will notify the event coordinator or student organization representative online through 25Live that the request for space has been confirmed or denied. Because requests require review by a building manager, please allow at least five (5) business days for processing. 

If reserving a table, different procedures should be followed. For registered student organizations looking to reserve a table for promotion of an event or information distribution, the organization will need to reserve the table and space through 25Live. The table can be received at the Student Activities Center in the DEN. A ten dollar deposit or a bobcat card is required to receive the table but will be reimbursed when the table is returned to the Student Activities Center.

If a table needs to be reserved for an event to be held on campus, 25Live must be utilized to reserve the area. On the form, table specifications should be listed. To learn more about information tabling please refer to section 4.13 of the Student Organization Handbook. 

If you have service-related needs such as A/V, food, housing, moving, and/or security, please indicate your intent to secure such services on the 25Live request form.  Public Services will forward this information to the appropriate service offices to give them advanced notice of your needs.  You will still be responsible for making specific arrangements directly with the service units, and you will be responsible for notifying the service units if there are any changes to the original request.  These offices require a minimum notice of five (5) business days.  
In the event the facility you requested is not available, Public Services will assist you in finding another location.  If you have not heard from Public Services within five business days of submitting your request, you may call the reservation office at 478-445-2749 to verify receipt of your request and to determine its status. 

Please understand that your request is not deemed approved until you receive official confirmation from Public Services.  Do not announce or promote your activity until you know that the space you are requesting has been approved and your event has been booked into 25Live.

Section 6:  University Facilities Available for Reservations 


A wide variety of campus buildings and other facilities are available for organizational use by students, faculty, and staff provided this use does not interfere with instructional and research programs held on campus. Some of the facilities available are Residence Halls and most buildings on main campus. The following are the facility usage guidelines and policies.

  •  All functions desiring use of university facilities should complete the online 25Live request form.
  • For large-scale facility rentals, service agreements and release/waiver of liability may be required.
  • All requests for facility usage must be submitted at least seven (7) business days prior to the date of the scheduled activity, and all applicable usage fees and deposits will be due at the time requests are submitted for approval.
  • GC reserves the right to deny the use of campus facilities for any event, activity, or function deemed inappropriate for the facility or the university as a whole.
  • Possession or use of narcotics or other illegal drugs is forbidden on university properties.
  • The use or possession of alcohol is forbidden on university properties unless in conjunction with a pre-approved social function and limited to designated areas.
  • No smoking is allowed in university buildings.
  • Users will be responsible for all damages to facilities and to facility support equipment and for any personal injury resulting from this use. ALL areas used should be left in a neat and orderly condition. ALL furniture and equipment used should be returned to its proper place and the facility secured upon departure.
  • Faculty/staff advisors must be present during all major events (parties, dances, and any activities open to the public) sponsored by those student organizations that they may represent.
  • All Physical Plant services must be requested five (5) business days prior to the event.
  • Contact Grounds Manager at 478-445-4279 for events on lawn areas.
  • Events requiring Plant, AV, and other campus support services outside normal working hours must budget overtime costs.
  • Procedure for vehicle access to campus roadways and sidewalks that are blocked by bollards: Individuals who seek vehicle access to campus roadways and sidewalks that are blocked by bollards must go through Facility Reservations for approval. Campus hardscapes such as the front campus drive and the circle drive were designed and constructed for pedestrian traffic and safety and for the protection of our facilities. Both are capable of handling a limited amount of vehicular traffic; however, they contain architectural features that are easily damaged by heavy vehicles. These high visibility campus features also represent a significant financial investment.
  • Only authorized vehicles will be allowed to access campus roadways and sidewalks that are blocked by security bollards. Authorized vehicles will usually be limited to emergency vehicles (ambulance, fire, police) and construction/maintenance vehicles when no reasonable access alternative is available. Any vehicular traffic on these roadways, other than emergency vehicles responding to an emergency, must be pre-approved by the Vice President for Business and Finance through the Facility Reservations office. Access to these roadways may be denied, if, in the opinion of the Senior Vice President of Finance & Administration, there is a reasonable alternative. Golf carts are exempted from this procedure.

Each facility is entitled to use its own set of additional regulations for use and to implement its own policies and procedures for reservations beyond those specified by the university.


The Arts and Sciences Building is equipped with $2.5 million of the latest technology, making it well suited for multimedia presentations, satellite teleconferences, and professional development meetings. The Arts & Sciences building includes an auditorium, ten multi-media classrooms, three electronic classrooms, and forty-four classrooms with seating capacities ranging from 15 to 82 people. The auditorium and many other rooms have internet and cable connections. 

For those that need a breath of fresh air, relax in the open courtyard at the center of the building. Alternately, sit on a bench and listen to the fountain just in front of Arts & Sciences. These areas are ideal for outdoor receptions.

Seats up to 299 persons
Handicapped accessible
Adjacent to restrooms

    • Mounted video projector and screen
    • Document camera
    • Slide projector
    • VHS video cassette player
    • DVD and Laserdisc player
    • Podium with microphone, wireless microphone, and tabletop microphones

The Centennial Center Complex is a 97,000-square-foot multipurpose facility that can accommodate large functions such as athletic competitions, musical concerts, and exhibits, as well as smaller banquets and receptions. In addition to three full-sized basketball courts, there are three classrooms, with seating capacities ranging from 20 to 40 people, which may be arranged for classroom or theater seating.

  • Fixed seating for up to 4,078
  • Vinyl and carpet floor covering available
  • Portable dance floor (30' x 30')
  • Portable stage (32' x 48')


  • Seats up to 400 persons
  • Rubberized flooring
  • 44' x 93' (4092 sq. ft.)


  • Six lighted courts with asphalt surface
  • Outdoor Pool
  • 75' x 45', six lanes
  • Bathhouse with 2175 sq. ft.
  • Men's and women's restrooms, lockers, showers

Chappell Hall is home to the staff of the Extended University Division. Chappell Hall, with three large classrooms, two conference rooms, and a state-of-the-art computer lab, offers conference and meeting space ideal for both formal and informal activities. Chappell Hall also contains a large dance studio (complete with a professional dance floor, barres, and mirrors) perfect for dance and other recreational activities. Between sessions, conference attendees can relax in the atrium adjoining the lecture hall. The Registration office is available for collecting fees, providing program support, and distributing information on-site.

  • Classrooms
  • Flexible seating arrangements for up to 35 persons
  • Conference Rooms
  • Rooms seat up to 15 persons

Lake Laurel Lodge, located four miles east of Milledgeville, is a favorite recreation area for the university and community. Nestled within sixty-six wooded acres, Lake Laurel is a beautiful, peaceful location for conferences, workshops, receptions, reunions, and overnight retreats. Visitors can fish from the banks or paddle the lake in one of the jon boats. Land dwellers can follow the nature trail that encircles the lake and examine the botanical life.

Overlooking the lake is the Lake Laurel Lodge. This rustic facility is equipped with a kitchen, clubhouse-like sleeping arrangements to accommodate 18 people, and a large conference room. It is available on a limited basis, primarily on weekends and other selected times.

  • Accommodations for up to 75 persons
  • Fireplace
  • Large grill on deck
  • Kitchen equipped with microwave, cookware, utensils, and dishes
  • Restrooms with showers 
  • Picnic Area and Lake
  • 10' x 20' covered picnic pavilion
  • Fire ring and grills

Limited overnight lodging is available at Lake Laurel Lodge by prearrangement. Linen service is available upon request for overnight guests.

GC Library is one of the largest libraries in the area, housing more than 450,000 volumes, and including study rooms, computer labs, meeting areas, and a cyber cafe serving Starbucks Coffee. It's also home to the Flannery O'Connor collection and the papers of the late Senator Paul Coverdell.

Maxwell Student Union houses the campus dining and catering services (Sodexo), Einstein Bros., the Bobcat Card Office, Chick-Fil-A, and Subway. On the first floor, the Donahoo lounge is a location for student-oriented programming and services. The second floor consists of the MAX, the Hoke Dining Room with a capacity of 75 people, the Bobcat Room with a capacity of 25 people, and the University Banquet Room with seating for 160 people. Completed in 1972 and renovated in 2000, Maxwell Student Union offers a handsome decor, flexible for meetings, banquets, receptions, and dances.

Miller Dance Studio houses the Continuing Education dance program, as well as university dance and theatre courses. This 2,080 square foot facility has a heavy-duty professional dance floor, dance barres, mirrored walls, and a state-of-the-art sound system.

The Michael J. Peeler Complex is located 2.2 miles from main campus, off the 441 bypass. The complex consists of baseball, softball, and soccer fields, tennis courts, and student housing. Available for recreation and social occasions, the covered pavilion has picnic tables, restrooms, and two barbeque pits, and is adjacent to the athletic fields.

Kilpatrick Hall, located across the street from main campus, is home to the School of Education. The building has numerous classrooms and a wonderful open atrium, making it ideal for classes, meetings, and conferences. Also located inside Kilpatrick Hall is Peabody Auditorium with fixed seating for 178 people.

  •  Peabody Auditorium
    • Seats up to 178 persons
    • Handicapped accessible

Porter Hall provides space for the Department of Music & Theatre. Located in this building is Max Noah Recital Hall with a seating capacity of 150 people, a large band room with seating for 50 people, and many small practice rooms with pianos and music stands. Max Noah Recital Hall hosts primarily musical and theatrical recitals and lectures.


  • Seats up to 150 persons
  • Baby grand piano and organ are available for performances

As a liberal arts university, we don't separate living from learning. In fact, we do everything we can to strengthen the connection between the two. Staying on campus for your conference puts you in the middle of everything. Our brand new, suite Residence Halls offer you almost every convenience of home from cable television, phone service, internet connections, recreation rooms, ice makers, vending, and gathering areas.

A campus landmark, Russell Auditorium features Greek Revival architecture and elegant decor which serves the university and community well. The auditorium is a popular location for many theatrical events including our own theatre department's productions and Allied Arts' presentations. In addition to the university concert and jazz band performances, Russell Auditorium is also home to the GC Atlanta Ballet Summer Intensives, the Joffrey South Workshops, and the Nutcracker Ballet.

This facility is ideal for conferences or ceremonies that need to accommodate large groups in a graceful, dignified setting. Constructed in 1928 and renovated in 1996, Russell Auditorium is fully air-conditioned and handicapped accessible. An organ and grand piano remain in Russell Auditorium year round for performances and ceremonies.

  • Seats up to 980 persons (including balcony)
  • Handicapped accessible
  • 1,000 sq. ft. stage
  • Orchestra pit
  • Two large dressing rooms with lighted mirrors and shower adjacent to stage 
  • Computerized lighting system

The auditorium, built in 1928 and renovated in 1996, is fully air-conditioned and handicapped accessible.  The auditorium seats up to 980 including the balcony, has a 1,000 square foot stage, an orchestra pit, computerized lighting system, and two large dressing rooms with lighted mirrors and a shower.

Russell Auditorium is a high demand facility which is reserved for events at least 50 weeks out of each year.  Each December, the Department of Public Services calls a meeting of all regular users of the auditorium, and others who have requested to use the building, to discuss their needs for the next year and a half, and to negotiate times for using the facility.  Once campus use of Russell Auditorium has been determined, all of the events are entered into the university's computerized event management system, 25Live.  A few dates usually remain available for other campus and community events.  

Not only is Russell Auditorium a high demand facility, but it is also a highly complex facility with sophisticated lighting and sound systems and stringent fire safety and ADA/504 requirements.  Failure to follow the guidelines on the following pages could result in serious injury or death to facility users and audience members.  In addition to the potential for injury, operation of the theatre's sophisticated lighting and sound equipment by untrained event organizers could result in damage to expensive equipment.  For these reasons, all users of Russell Auditorium must utilize the services of Student Technical Specialists and Student House Managers trained by Theatre faculty and made available through the Department of Public Services.  (Waivers of the Student House Manager requirement may be requested when event organizers can provide trained theatre professionals or university employees who will be on site and in charge before, during, and after performances.  However, even in such cases, all fire safety and ADA/504 rules still must be adhered to.)  Contact the Department of Public Services to obtain the services of Student Technical Specialists and Student House Managers(pdf).  

Sound and A/V in Russell Auditorium must be provided by an approved A/V professional.  Generally, Theatre is responsible for providing its own sound, and A/V for all other events is provided by Media Production Resources.  A/V equipment and services can be obtained by contacting or by phone at (478) 445-0532.  Event organizers should contact A/V to discuss specific A/V needs after the facility has been approved, but no later than five business days before the event.  The hourly rate for evening and weekend hours is $25 per technician.  The technician fee includes up to 30 minutes of equipment set-up and 30 minutes of take-down per event.  

Russell Auditorium is cleaned by campus custodians daily Monday through Friday.  However, weekend custodial support is not provided as a matter of course.  Productions that extend over a weekend may wish to contact the Custodial Manager at (478) 445-1533 to arrange to have the auditorium cleaned between performances.  Those weekend events that utilize Lanier Hall as an assembly or holding area for cast members will be required to contract with Plant Operations to have Lanier cleaned prior to 7 a.m. on Monday morning.  Custodial support should be arranged at least five business days in advance.  The cost for such support is $18 per hour for each custodian, with a minimum of three hours.

Lanier Hall, which is attached to Russell Auditorium, is a busy office building that is occupied from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday.  To avoid disturbing employees or students, events that use Lanier Hall as an assembly or holding area for cast members should not allow cast members into Lanier prior to 5 p.m. on weekdays.  Lanier furniture should not be moved.  In addition, the halls, dressing rooms, and other spaces should be straightened up and all debris, props, costumes, makeup, and trash removed at the conclusion of each production.

Organizers of external (non-GC sponsored) events will be required to show proof of $1,000,000 of liability insurance and $500,000 damage to property insurance in order to rent the facility.  Proof of insurance must be verified prior to confirmation of space.  

In case of accidents, injuries, deaths, thefts, or other emergencies, or if there are after-hours or weekend maintenance issues, contact Public Safety at 478-445-4400.

The Director of Public Services serves as Building Manager for Russell Auditorium.  If there are maintenance issues, scheduling conflicts, or other concerns or issues related to the building, please contact the director at 478-445-6542.

Occasionally, a campus office may identify a need to modify Russell Auditorium's equipment or structure in some way.  In such cases, that office should contact the Director of Public Services who will then facilitate a meeting or communication between all parties with some responsibility for the auditorium including the Department of Music & Theatre, Plant Operations, A/V, Public Services, and Environmental Health & Occupational Safety.

Russell Auditorium: Fire Safety/ADA/504 Requirements 
Exceptions to Fire Safety/ADA/504 requirements must be approved by the GC Coordinator of Environmental Health & Occupational Safety (EHOS) and by the Technical Director for Theatre.  EHOS can be contacted at 478-445-0801 and the Technical Director for Theatre at (478) 445-1241.

Stage Area 

  • The stage must be clear of all trash, debris, furniture, equipment, and set pieces not being used in the current production. 
  • No candles or pyrotechnics are allowed on stage unless otherwise approved by the Environmental Health and Occupational Safety Office and the Technical Director for Theatre.
  • Stage lighting and electrical work must be supervised by a theatre professional or an approved theatre student.
  • When audience seating is built on the Russell stage, disabled persons must be accommodated.
  • All tape must be pulled up off the stage floor before painting.
  • If painted for a production, the stage floor must be returned to flat black when finished.
  • All personal property should be removed from Russell Auditorium and Lanier Hall after the conclusion of productions.

Russell Auditorium Equipment 
Russell Auditorium lighting must be operated by an approved theatre professional.  The services of trained Student Technical Specialists can be obtained through the Department of Public Services at 478-445-2749 or by e-mail at

Sound must be operated by an approved A/V professional.  Generally Theatre is responsible for providing its own sound, and sound for all other events is provided by Media Production Resources.  Sound, A/V equipment, and services can be obtained by contacting or by phone at 478-445-0532.

Dressing Rooms (Located in Lanier Hall)

  • All costumes, makeup, and other personal items and equipment must be removed from the dressing rooms.  Hair dryers, curling irons, irons, and other equipment must be unplugged except while in use.
  • The dressing rooms must be kept clean during performances and returned to a clean condition at the conclusion of performances. 
  • It should be understood that the dressing rooms are also used as Theatre classrooms, so they are not safe places to leave personal items.

Auditorium Seating Area
• The organ, piano, speakers, and other equipment must be kept out of the aisles on the front and sides of the auditorium when the auditorium is occupied by patrons.
• No audio/visual cables or extension cords are allowed on the floor of the auditorium while occupied by patrons.
• No A/V equipment will be allowed in the handicapped seating area at the rear of the auditorium.
• All aisles and doorways must remain clear at all times.  These areas must not be blocked in any manner.
• The swinging doors at the front of the house must be opened inward prior to performances, and outward at the end of performances.
• No folding chairs or tables are allowed in aisles or doorways.
• No candles or "Christmas tree" type lights are allowed without the prior knowledge of the Music & Theatre Department, and only then with proper safety and fire restraining procedures in place. 
• Hanging wall decorations should not obstruct aisles or doorways.
• The organ must be kept against the wall, and the aisles must have at least 34 inches of free space.

• No tables or booths for ticket sales or literature distribution are allowed in the lobby.  
• All lobby doors and exit doors will remain unlocked prior to and during a performance.
• No electrical cables or extension cords are allowed on the floor without proper restraints placed over them.
• No candles, flower arrangements, or other decorations will be allowed to hinder or block access to exits.  This applies in all areas except the stage area.
• All unused programs and other handouts should be removed from the theatre or placed in the trash at the conclusion of events.

Front Porch
• Ticket sales and distribution of literature may be made from tables or booths set up on the far right and left of the front porch.
• No electric cables or extension cords will be allowed on the floor of the porch without proper restraining procedures in place.
ADA/504 Compliance
• All flyers, posters, mail-outs, invitations, etc., should announce that disability accommodations are available and give the name and number of the event organizer who will be responsible for providing the accommodations.  Posters should state that a 24-hour notice is required for accommodations.
• Handicapped seating areas for wheelchairs and wide seating areas must remain open.  A folding chair can be used for companion seating in these areas.  A few folding chairs are stored in the handicapped seating area.  Event organizers will be responsible for providing folding chairs to guests who request them.  (If folding chairs have been removed from the handicapped seating area, please contact the Department of Public Services for replacements prior to the event.)
• Assistive listening devices are available for use by hearing-impaired individuals who request them with a minimum 24-hour notice as stated on performance flyers or posters.  Event organizers will be responsible for providing assistive listening devices to audience members who request them.  Please contact the Technical Director for Theatre, the Department of Public Services, or your Student House Manager to access the listening devices.

Other Matters
• The foregoing requirements are subject to revisions and additions.
• Requests for exceptions to Fire Safety/ADA/504 requirements must be made to the Environmental Health and Safety Officer at 478-445-0801, and the Technical Director for Theatre at 478-445-1241. • The Environmental Health and Safety Officer will be copied on all facility confirmation for the use of Russell Auditorium by the Department of Public Services.

The Student Activities Center is a multi-purpose facility that includes four small conference rooms seating 20-30 people each, which can be converted to two large conference rooms seating 50-100 people each. The Center contains a large ballroom that seats 400 conference style or 160 at 5' round tables. The ballroom is state-of-the-art and provides the latest in video and audio technology. The ballroom includes a semi-circular stage that provides great viewing of presenters. In addition, the Student Activities Center has a laptop, portable LCD projectors, and portable televisions with VCR and DVD players. During the regular academic year (August-May), recognized student organizations (RSO) have priority on the use of the Student Activities Center.

Downstairs holds the newly renovated student hangout, the DEN. The DEN has a variety of amenities, games, and services that makes it a great place to spend some time whether you're just between classes or if you want somewhere fun to hang out tonight.

The DEN offers

  • 2 ping pong tables
  • 2 pool tables
  • Shuffleboard table
  • Foosball table
  • Video game room
  • Board Games
  • LCD TVs
  • Free fountain soda

Facility requests for the Student Activities Center should be made to Public Services through the 25Live event scheduling system, not directly to Student Center building manager.  It is recommended that all requests be submitted to Public Services at least seven (7) business days prior to the date of the event.  Requests for the ballroom should be made far in advance due to the popularity of this space.

The Student Activities Center is open to reservation by non-university groups beginning the day after graduation (first Sunday in May) and ending prior to the beginning of the academic year (usually the first week of August).   Please contact the Student Activities Center at 478-445-4027 if you have specific questions regarding the facility. For more information please visit the Student Activity Center online.


Like most of the university's facilities, reservation beings with examining 25Live for available space reservations.  However, some of the auxiliary services cannot be reserved in general.  The Maxwell Student Union dining hall, catered by the Sodexo Dining Services, cannot be reserved for private usage. In addition, various eateries around the GC campus such as Einstein's and Chick-fil-A are also not reservable.  

To utilize the university's transportation services, representatives from student organizations must reserve vans and buses for an event.  Student organizations must have an account that fees are charged too.  In addition, student organizations must complete the Shuttle Request Form following these directions:

• Contact Information: Self-explanatory
• Account to be charged: This number is a GC Accounting Department recognized number from where the funds will be transferred from.  If using Foundation or Alumni funds, a funds request form from these departments must be completed and their authorization number is entered here.
• Once your request is filled out, send it to Parking & Transportation Services where they will prepare an estimate for your trip.
• Once the estimate is reviewed, you may book the trip or cancel your request.  
• After you book a trip, the Transportation Services Coordinator will contact you directly to work out the specific details.

The standard rate for usage is generally $50/hour, but for a more accurate estimate, check out the Transportation Services website or contact transportation services representatives at 478-445-7433. 

Catering for the GC on-campus facilities is coordinated and performed by Sodexo Dining Services.  Any student organization that has reserved a facility on-campus can have that event catered by Sodexo.  Representatives from student organizations must state on the Facility Request Form, located on 25Live, that catering will be needed for that event.  If you decided that you want an outside vendor to cater your event that is located on-campus, Sodexo must be contacted and have approval first.

 Any facility that is located off-campus that a student organization has reserved or is utilizing for a particular event is not required to contact Sodexo for approval of using an outside vendor for catering.  

Section 7: Outdoor Spaces and Events       


The Flagpole Plaza at the east end of the Georgia College Front Lawn (the area on and immediately surrounding the circular concrete pad which holds the university flagpole and Olympic column) is the designated "Designated Public Forum Area" at Georgia College. Free speech is celebrated on a public campus and speakers who wish to speak at the Designated Public Forum Area may do so as long as they aren't disrupting university business, abusing the rights of individuals, or preventing pedestrians from getting to their destinations. Non-Georgia College students, faculty, or staff who wish to utilize the Designated Public Forum Area are asked to notify the Office of Campus Life (478-445-4027) in advance to ask about conflicts and confirm the permitted location. The university does not limit speech based upon controversial content or the point of view of the speaker.


Reservations for outdoor informational tables and other displays; food, beverage, or other sales; and fairs or celebrations fall under the responsibility of the Department of Campus Life.  Student organizations are responsible for informing themselves of and adhering to all use policies for the spaces they reserve.

Section 8: Audio-Visual Services and Moving Requests    


Each facility and department is entitled to have its own rules and regulations established regarding the use and rental of its furniture and audio-visual equipment. In most instances, the use of furniture and audio-visual equipment is free to student organizations, however, there are times when special fees are required for specialized equipment and/or staffing that may apply for set-up, operating, and monitoring.  Some departments may place restrictions on the use of their equipment outside of their facilities. To obtain more information regarding rule and regulations on the use of such equipment, contact the facility or department directly. 


All information regarding moving requests can be acquired through Public Services or can be obtained by contracting Moving Services at 478-445-5851.

Section 9:  Event Policies and Procedures


Planning an event on the Georgia College campus may be a process that takes many steps and various approvals.  There are factors to consider when you are in the planning process to ensure that your event is successful. Campus policies, facility use policies, local, federal, and state laws, and common sense and good judgment are taken into account when events are planned, approved, and carried out on the GC campus.

Listed below are some of the various event parameters that may require following additional policies and/or require further approvals. However, this may not be a complete list covering every possible scenario, event, or activity, so make sure to check with the Department of Campus Life and/or Public Services if you have any questions about whether you need to make further arrangements or get additional approvals.  It is the responsibility of the student organization to provide accurate information regarding the parameters of the planned event to the Public Services contacts well in advance of the event; failure to provide complete information about even parameters may result in event cancellation. 


The practice of charging an admission price to an event whether by ticket or by registration is under the strict control of the university.  All student organization events involving admission fees for entrance are subject to review of the facility, and approval by the Department or Campus Life.

Facility rental fees will apply and the university and/or the facility may collect a percentage of ticket sales when admission is charged.  Under no circumstances is it permitted for student organizations to collect fees in exchange for admission without previous permission from and arrangements made with Campus Life.


Sodexo Dining Services, a unit of Auxiliary Services, has exclusive rights to all food and beverage service and sales on the GC campus.  The GC Emergency Preparedness and Occupational Safety office has official oversight for the safe provision of food and beverage on the GC campus.  All use of food and beverage by student organizations, whether provided free of charge or in conjunction with sales, is subject to the rules, regulations, and approval of Campus Life and EPOS.  Food and beverage of any sort may not be provided to the public or in conjunction with official events without the approval of Campus Life.  Violations of this policy may result in fines and/or disciplinary action. 


Auxiliary Services controls all commercial sales and representation on the GC campus.  Sales of items and services must be approved in advance by Campus Life.  Commercial representation, promotions, and affiliation or co-sponsorship in advertising must be approved by Auxiliary Services in advance of your event.  Commercial representation or partnerships that may portray Georgia College to the public in any way is given strict oversight by the Office of University Communications.  Permission is required from the Office of University Communications for activities that imply sponsorship or endorsement by Georgia College to the general public.


All promotions must be handled by, paid for by, and specify the sponsoring organization.  Promotions must not specify or imply sponsorship by organizations contrary to those indicated on the reservation form.  Organizations violating this policy may be subject to applicable charges and/or suspension of facility reservation privileges.  Off-campus promoters may not be used to promote events for other organizations.  Organization members must be present at the event to assist in event management and coordination.  Advertising on Milledgeville commercial radio stations is considered off-campus promotion.


Department of Public Safety staffing may be necessary for the safe execution of your event at the discretion of each facility and reviews by Campus Life, Auxiliary Services, and Public Services.  All related fees for required Public Safety officers are the responsibility of the event organizer.  Events that may require staffing at cost to the organization include, but are not limited to:

  • Admission-based events
  • Publicly advertised events 
  • Events where the capacity of the facility may be reached
  • Events where alcohol is being served
  • Dances
  • Concerts
  • Events with controversial or popular speakers, performers, or topics
  • Events or organizations with a history of police or incident reports, violence, or other policy violations.


The use of outdoor amplified sound on the campus of Georgia College is restricted according to the following guidelines:

Purpose: It is the intent of the Department of Campus Life to affirm that while outdoor music, speakers, fairs, festivals, celebrations, and other activities serve to reinforce the quality of campus life, the use of outdoor amplified sound must minimize any disruption of the central academic mission of the university.

Amplified sound is intended to be heard in the immediate area only.  Decibel levels for all outdoor amplified events are subject to monitoring and regulation by the campus department of Emergency Preparedness and Occupational Safety and may not, at any time, exceed reasonable levels: 65 decibels for 60 seconds when measured at 50 feet from the source utilizing an "A" scale.  Campus officials reserve the right to enforce reasonable outdoor sound amplification levels as described herein, including, but not limited to, immediate revocation of the outdoor amplified sound permit, if necessary.

Only one (1) event with amplified sound will be allowed at any one time (e.g. No outdoor amplified sound events are permitted during the final examination period).  


Publicity, contractual agreements with performers or service providers and purchases are not to be entered into or finalized until the event has been reviewed by Campus Life.  Rules, regulations, and policies must be followed with regard to publicity, contracts, and the use of university and SABC funds.  All plans for publicity and contracts must be disclosed and copies of supporting documents may be required by Campus Life.   


Copyrighted materials including, but not limited to, films, videos, and music are subject by law to restrictions on Public Performance.  It is the ultimate responsibility of the event sponsor to adhere to copyright law and secure Public Performance licenses for the use of copyrighted materials.  It is unlawful for student organizations to show films to its members.  Student organizations must obtain a public performance license.  It is relatively easy and usually requires no more than a phone call.  Fees are determined by such factors as the number of times a particular movie will be shown, how large the audience will be, etc.  While fees vary, they are generally inexpensive for smaller performances.  The major films that handle these licenses include:
• Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. 1-800-876-5577;
• Motion Picture Licensing Corp. (800) 462-8855; 
• Criterion Picture USA, Inc. 1-800-890-9494;
A student organization officer must show a public performance license or proof or permission from the copyright owner to show the work publicly on-campus.  Ownership, rental or borrowing a film/video from a library does not constitute public performance rights.  The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and its member companies are dedicated to stopping film and video piracy in all its forms, including unauthorized public performances.  The motion picture companies will go to court to ensure their copyrights are not violated.  If you are uncertain about your responsibilities under the copyright law, contact the MPAA, firms that handle public performance licenses or the studios directly.

Per the United States Copyright Revision Act of 1976, the following guidelines apply:

  • All non-private exhibitors or registered copyrighted videos or DVD's must obtain a Public Performance license.
  • The copyright laws apply whether or not admission is charged.
  • Local video stores are in the business of renting video-cassettes and DVDs for home use only and they cannot provide legal protection or advice.
  • Personal ownership of the videotape or DVD and the right to show it publicly are two separate issues.
  • The copyright holder retains exclusive public performance rights to that program.
  • The purchase of a video cassette or DVD from any source such as a local video store or retail outlet does not convey or carry with it the right to exhibit that cassette or DVD in public or semi-public locations.

"Willful" infringement for commercial or financial gain is a federal crime punishable as a misdemeanor, carrying a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail and/or a $100,000 fine.  Even inadvertent infringers are subject to substantial civil damages, ranging from $500 to $20,000 for each illegal showing. 

Contact the Department of Campus Life at (478) 445-4027 for additional information regarding the public performance of copyrighted materials. 

Section 10: Special Events Policies and Procedures     


Campus demonstrations, including picketing, are permitted on campus subject to university guidelines for time, place, and manner.  Guidelines for demonstrations include the following:

  1. File a request with Campus Life at least 48 hours in advance of the event.
  2. Demonstrations may not occur within university buildings or residences.
  3. Demonstrations may not interfere with scheduled meetings, educational programs, or vehicle or pedestrian traffic.
  4. No sound amplification equipment may be used unless reserved for that purpose and approvals have been obtained.
  5. No person shall carry or possess while participating in any demonstration, rally, picket line, or public assembly any metal stake, club, or pipe, or any length of lumber, wood, or lath, unless that wooden object is an inch or less in thickness, and 2 inches or less in width.  If not generally rectangular in shape, such wooden object shall not exceed an inch in its thickest dimension.
  6. Participants must remain orderly, comply with federal and state laws and university regulations, and must not interfere with Public Safety in the performance of their duties.


These types of events are subject to approval by each facility in accordance with its use policies and by Campus Life.  Each of these areas is entitled to make recommendations and requirements regarding the parameters of the event being proposed. 

Restrictions on admission and publicity may be limited to allow access to GC students only, and all costs associated with those restrictions for staffing and supervision will be assessed to the sponsoring organization.  Public Safety in conjunction with the facility will have ultimate responsibility for determining appropriate minimum security levels.  Supervision by the student organization advisor, representatives from Campus Life, Public Safety, and/or other representatives may be required to attend for the event to be approved.  Any fees involved for supervision will be assessed to the sponsoring organization.  Members of the sponsoring organization must present to assist with the event management and execution.  

Appropriate staffing by the student organization will be determined by Campus Life and by the facility.  When making determinations about the appropriate management practices for student organization special events, the facility and Campus Life will take into account the following:

  • Event and organization history
  • Nature of the event
  • Controversial content of the event
  • Publicity
  • Safety & Legality
  • Adherence to the academic mission of the university.


Fundraising is sometimes an important element of event planning. Please refer to Chapter 6: Fundraising and Sponsorship for more information.

Section 11: Additional Event Planning Items  

Organizations are responsible for being familiar with the policies and procedures of the Student Organization Handbook.  Failure to "be aware of the policy" shall not be sufficient grounds for granting waivers to the policies and procedures.

As all requests for events are tentative until approved by Campus Life and Public Services, organizations must not enter into contracts or publicize events prior to the event being approved. 

In case of conflicts on-campus space requested for the same date, priority will be given to the organization filling the request at the earliest date. 

All organizations are responsible for all voluntarily incurred debts related to their events.

Students are not permitted to sign or agree to contracts on behalf of Georgia College. The university will not be liable for any contract signed by the officers of student organizations or any other student or group of students.  

Student organizations that enter into written or verbal contracts fraudulently or otherwise misrepresent their organization (for example, providing a false organization identity when making a reservation at an off-campus facility) will be subject to disciplinary action.

Each organization will operate itself and conduct all events in accordance with federal and state laws, local ordinances, official University System of Georgia and university policies, policies of Campus Life, and the constitution and/or bylaws of the organization itself.

Section 12: Food and Beverages     

Particular care must be taken at all stages of food handling, including transport, storage, preparation, and service by officially recognized student organizations and departments wishing to serve, sell or promote food.  People may potentially suffer from food poisoning or food-borne illness from contaminated food.  Auxiliary Services, the Department of Campus Life, and the University assume no responsibility for the quality of food served, sold or promoted on campus by recognized student organizations and departments, or for the health of individual preparers and servers. 

Student organizations are responsible for cleaning up all facilities used according to the following standards:

  • Pickup and proper disposal of garbage
  • Remove all leftover food/beverage items
  • Leave room(s) in the same condition they were found
  • Immediately notify facility manager of any spills and/or stains on carpets and floors

Groups who fail to conduct the minimum standard cleaning requirements may be billed for cleaning expenses or forfeit the ability to serve food at future meetings. 


1. Food Event Approval Process
a. For Auxiliary Services Facilities 
Recognized student organizations and departments wishing to serve, sell, or promote food on-campus must obtain permission from Auxiliary Services and Campus Life at least one (1) week prior to the event.
b. Outdoor Events
For events planned in outdoor areas, requests must be submitted to and approved by Public Services via the Facility Reservation System (25Live). 
c. Auxiliary Services Requirements 
Exclusive rights to all catering on-campus have been granted to Sodexo Dining Services.  Auxiliary Services controls all commercial sales and representation on the GC campus.

2.  Fire and Electrical Safety
All campus event participants at Georgia College & State University are required to adhere to Fire Code regulations.  All participants in campus events shall comply with any request by an EPOS representative to ensure compliance with EPOS regulations.  

  • The following cooking methods are acceptable on campus: liquid propane gas appliances; electrical appliances or propane barbecues.  The use of charcoal and liquid starter fuel are prohibited. 
  • Each event where an open flame is located shall have a class "ABC" fire extinguisher within 10 feet of the flames at all times.  The location of the extinguisher shall be clearly marked and identifiable to everyone in the area.  At their own expense, each student organization or department is required to supply the fire extinguisher for their event.
  • All open flames shall be constantly attended by a person knowledgeable in how to use a fire extinguisher.  An attendant from your organization shall supervise the open flame until it has been extinguished. 
  • All approved events where an open flame will be present on campus locations, the open flame must be 100 feet away from all buildings.
  • Barbecuing is approved for specific locations (e.g. Front Campus, West Campus Pavilion, East Campus Pavilion) and must be approved through Public Services via the Facility Reservation System (25Live).  All barbequing events must be at least 100 feet from all buildings. 
  • Commercial barbecues or open flame cooking equipment shall not be located closer than 10 feet from any combustible materials.  Cooking equipment shall be separated from customer contact areas. 
  • Cooking may not take place in a tent or under a canopy.
  • Electrical cords shall be maintained in good condition and are not to be laid in an area that is wet or could become wet.  Electrical cords are not to be located in the main paths of travel and are to be covered. 
  • Extension cords shall be UL approved, heavy-duty, and 3-pronged grounded type.
  • Extension cords shall be plugged directly into an approved receptacle.
  • Extension cords shall be grounded when servicing grounded portable appliances.
  • Cords and circuits shall not be overloaded with excessive appliances unless an approved multiplying extension cord is used, extension cords shall serve only one portable appliance. 
  • Smoking is prohibited within 25 feet of propane gas containers, tables, and barbecue grills at all times. 
  • Parked vehicles, tables, or equipment shall not impede access to fire vehicle lanes, fire hydrants, pedestrians, or driveways.  A minimum of 20 feet clearance is required for fire lanes and a minimum 3 feet radius is required around fire hydrants. 

3. Catering 
Exclusive rights to all catering on the campus have been granted to Sodexo Dining Services.  Call the Catering Office, (478) 445-3663, for more information.  Only under extraordinary circumstances will the use of an off-campus caterer or restaurant be permitted.  An off-campus source may be used only when Sodexo cannot meet the needs of a specific event, and they must provide proof of $1,000,000 in product liability insurance, demonstrate the ability to prepare, transport, store, and serve food on campus safely and without campus kitchen facilities, and by subject to oversight from the Emergency Preparedness and Occupational Safety Office and Campus Life.  Late fees will also be assessed if the petition to use an off-campus food source is not completed by the deadline.

4. Concessions 
Exclusive rights for concessions at special events on campus are exercised by Auxiliary Services.  Groups planning events with food concession sales should contact Auxiliary Services at (478) 445-1976 for arrangements or to discuss possibilities for a waiver of concession rights.

5. Policy Enforcement 
The above provisions must be adhered to for consumer safety and sponsor protection.  Food events will be monitored, and if health and safety guidelines are not being followed, food may be confiscated or the cooking operation shut down by EPOS.  If the above provisions are violated, the event may be terminated by Campus Life.  Future food events may not be recommended for approval by Campus Life. 


The university does not issue food permits or conduct food service inspections for off-campus events; however; student organizations are encouraged to follow the Food Handling Guidelines listed below (adapted from materials produced by the Federal Food and Drug Administration).


Practicing proper food handling techniques will protect your members and guests from food-borne illness and food contamination.  Here are some tips to keep in mind when preparing, storing, and cooking food.  

1.Wash Hands, Utensils, and Food Preparation Surfaces
Food safety begins with hand-washing even in outdoor settings.  And it can be as simple as using a water jug, some soap, and paper towels.
Consider using moist, disposable towelettes for cleaning your hands.
Keep all utensils and platters clean when preparing food.

2. Preparing Fruits and Vegetables
Rinse fresh fruits and vegetables, including those with skins and rinds that are not eaten, under running tap water before packing them.  Packaged fruits and vegetables labeled "ready-to-eat," "washed," or "triple washed" need to be washed. 
Rub firm-skin fruits and vegetables under running tap water or scrub with a clean vegetable brush while rinsing with running tap water.


Marinate foods in the refrigerator, not on the counter or outdoors.  If some of the marinade is to be used as a sauce on the cooked food, reserve a portion separately before adding the raw meat, poultry, or seafood.  Don't reuse marinade. 
Don't use the same platter and utensils that previously held raw meat or seafood to serve cooked meats and seafood.
If you partially cook food in the microwave, oven, or stove to reduce grilling time, do so immediately before the food goes on the hot grill.
When it's time to cook the food, cook it thoroughly.  Use a food thermometer to be sure the food has reached an adequate internal temperature before serving.
Ground pork and ground beef – 160°F
Ground poultry – 165°F
Poultry breasts – 170°F
Whole poultry (take measurement in the thigh) – 180°F
Finfish – 145°F or until flesh is opaque and separates easily with a fork
Shrimp, lobster, and crab – the meat should be pearly and opaque
Clams, oysters, and mussels – until the shells open
Grilled food can be kept hot until served by moving it to the side of the grill rack, just away from coals where it can overcook.
Liquid starting fuel is prohibited.
Have a fire extinguisher available.


Food should be handled with gloves and food service utensils or materials.
Keep cold food cold (below 40°F) and hot foods hot (above 140°F). 
Do not use a plate that previously held raw meat, poultry, or seafood for anything else unless the plate has first been washed in hot, soapy water.
Foods like chicken salad and desserts in individual serving dishes can also be placed directly on ice, or in a shallow container set in a deep pan filled with ice.  Drain off water as ice melts and replace ice frequently.
Don't let perishable food sit out longer than two (2) hours.
Food should not sit out for more than 1 hour in temperatures above 90°F.
Keep food covered when not serving.
Ice used in beverages should be protected from contamination.  Do not use ice used for refrigeration.
No smoking should be permitted around food.
Individuals who are sick or have cuts or burns must not serve or handle food and beverages.
Keep pets away from areas where food is served or stored. 


Keep cold food cold.  Place cold food in a cooler with ice or frozen gel packs.  Cold food should be held at or below 40°F.
Consider packing beverages in one cooler and perishable foods in another.  
Meat, poultry, and seafood may be packed while it is still frozen so that it stays colder longer.  Be sure to keep raw meat, poultry, and seafood securely wrapped so their juices don't contaminate cooked foods or foods eaten raw such as fruits and vegetables.
After washing fruits and vegetables, dry them with a clean cloth towel or paper towel before packing them.
Keep the cooler in the air-conditioned passenger compartment of your car, rather than in a hot trunk.  Limit the times the cooler is opened.


The possession, dispensing, and consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus is only permitted at special events specified below.  Alcohol at an event on campus requires an Alcohol Approval Request Form with the designated University Vice President's approval and signature. 

1. Types of Beverages 
Beer and/or wine may not be served at events open to the public.  Attendance at events with alcohol must be limited to the organization's members and their invited guests.  Events at which alcohol will be served must have a preponderance of individuals over 21 years of age in attendance. 

2. Policy for On-Campus Events with Alcoholic Beverages
Subject to this policy, consumption, and possession of alcoholic beverages is limited to beer and/or wine.  Distilled liquor is not permitted at any time.  In sponsoring a function with beer and/or wine is served, the organization and its officers accept the following responsibilities and conditions:

  • To observe all applicable state laws and university policies.
  • To pay for any/all damages incurred during the activity.
  • To clean and restore the facility to its original condition.
  • To maintain decorum appropriate to the university setting.
  • To limit participation in an authorized event to members of the sponsoring organization and its invited guests. 
  • Serving beer or wine must be clearly incidental and supplementary to the main purpose of the event.
  • To refrain from advertising to the public the availability of alcoholic beverages or otherwise using alcoholic beverages as an event inducement.  Events promoted to the public may not have alcohol served.
  • To only finance beer or wine from a club treasury, excluding the use of SABC funds.  Unless a sponsor is licensed, beer and wine may NOT be sold at student-sponsored events nor may a specified amount or donation be collected. 
  • To also provide non-alcoholic beverages, to be served in the same manner as alcoholic beverages. 
  • To assure that no minor or intoxicated person is served alcoholic beverages.  It is the responsibility of the organization to ensure that only those of legal drinking age consume alcoholic beverages. 
  • Public Safety must be present to verify the proof of age of those being served.   Self-service is prohibited. 
  • A server must be at least 21 years old. 
  • Food must be served at all events at which alcohol is available.
  • Alcoholic beverages may not be removed from the room within which the serving of alcoholic beverages has been approved.  The organization must provide one or more individuals to be positioned by the exits for enforcement of this condition.
  • Alcoholic beverages may be served only in areas where food is normally served.
  • The number of alcoholic beverages present must be appropriate for the nature of the event, the estimated attendance, and the amount of food and non-alcoholic beverages present.
  • For events on-campus, any alcohol must be handled through Sodexo Dining Services.  Self-service is not permitted.  Alcohol may not be sold for fundraising or offered as a prize in a "free drawing."

Approval must be granted by the Department of Campus Life.  Please complete a "Request for the use of Alcoholic Beverages" form. 

3. Alcoholic Beverages at Events Off-Campus 
The following policies apply to all off-campus events sponsored, organized, planned, coordinated, financed, or promoted by the organization, any activity held at an organization-related facility, or any activity that an observer would reasonably associate with the organization.  For example, a social event where most of those invited members of the same organization would normally be considered to be an organization-related event.

  1. Organizations are expected to be familiar with and comply with State of Georgia laws regulating the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages. 
  2. Unless held at a licensed establishment with professional bartenders, hard liquor (alcoholic beverages other than beer or wine) shall not be consumed at organization events.
  3. Open parties, meaning those with unrestricted access by non-members without specific invitation, where alcoholic beverages are present are forbidden.  For events (except events for alumni and family members) where the number of guests is anticipated to exceed the number of members, a guest list must be submitted to Campus Life in advance of the event, along with the name of the member who invited each guest.  Members are responsible for the behavior (including underage drinking) of guests they invite.
  4. In promoting events, alcoholic beverages may not be referred to in publicity, including signs, fliers, mailings, email lists, Web sites, and media (i.e., no pictures of kegs, cocktail glasses, beer mugs, etc.).
  5. At all events where alcoholic beverages are consumed, except those held at licensed establishments where beverages are sold, provisions shall be provided for the free and conspicuous distribution of non-alcoholic beverages and food in adequate supply.  An "adequate supply" of beverages is a quantity sufficient to provide at least one beverage serving per hour for all members and guests who are under the age of 21.  An "adequate supply" of food is a minimum of one serving for all members and guests in attendance (for example, one large pizza for ten guests). 
  6. No organization shall permit any person who is under the age of 21 or who is obviously intoxicated to consume alcoholic beverages at organization functions.  Use of wristbands and/or Public Safety hired to check age identification may be required.  At joint functions, each organization is responsible for keeping those under the age of 21 from consuming alcoholic beverages.
  7. At events where the number of guests exceeds the number of members, Public Safety shall be responsible for checking the identification and providing wristbands or hand-stamps to persons over the age of 21 who wish to consume alcoholic beverages.  The Public Safety officers are responsible for patrolling the event to ensure that only those persons with the designated wristband or hand-stamp are consuming alcoholic beverages.
  8. An organization sponsoring an event has an obligation to provide for the safety of any members or guests who exhibit intoxication.  This might require taking the person home or allowing the person to spend the night and ensuring that someone is present to monitor their condition until they are sober.  If the person is unconscious, is breathing irregularly, has a weak pulse, or has discolored skin, immediate medical attention must be sought. 
  9. Unless the event is held within a half-mile of the campus, whenever alcohol is being consumed at an event and busses or public transportation are not being provided, the organization shall provide designated sober drivers to transport all members and guests.  The designated sober drivers shall not consume any alcohol whatsoever at the event or within six hours prior to driving.  If busses are provided, no intoxicated person shall be permitted to board the bus nor may alcohol be consumed or brought on the bus. 
  10. No organization shall at any time compel individuals to consume alcoholic beverages. 
  11. No money whatsoever, including "donations," entertainment fees, admission charges, etc., may be collected at any function where alcoholic beverages are provided unless held at an establishment with a Georgia Liquor License. 
  12. Organized competitions involving the consumption of alcoholic beverages are prohibited at all organization functions. 
  13. Neither "grain alcohol" nor any such distilled liquor that exceeds 100 proof, or above 50% pure grade per volume (e.g., "Everclear," etc.), shall be present in any form or mixture during an organizational event.
  14. Unless a waiver is granted by Campus Life, an organization may not purchase or reimburse a person for the purchase of alcoholic beverages through the use of organization funds or credits nor may he purchase of the same be undertaken or coordinated by any member on behalf of the organization.  No organization members may provide alcoholic beverages directly or indirectly to members or guests by selling tickets or cups, by collecting admission fees or donations, by special assessments (e.g., a formal dance assessment that includes drink tickets), by taking a collection ("passing the hat"), by dues rebates, by maintaining a "social fund" or account, or by using any means of collecting monies from persons attending organization functions.  All alcoholic beverages consumed at organization functions held off-campus must be brought by the individual members and guests attending the function for their own personal consumption or through a cash bar operated by a licensed establishment where the function is held.  Drink tickets, regardless of how they are financed, cannot be given away at chapter events held at hotels, etc. – even if the tickets can be redeemed for either alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages.  Members must purchase their own drinks or drink tickets directly from the licensed establishment. 
  15. The purchase and/or use of any bulk quantity of alcoholic beverages or providing a common source of alcohol (e.g., kegs, miniature kegs, alcoholic punch, coolers filled with canned beer, open bars, etc.) is expressly prohibited.  (A keg shell present on organization premises shall be considered evidence of a violation of this policy.)
  16. At "BYOB" functions, individuals 21 years of age or older may bring not more than a six-pack of 12-ounce beers (two individuals arriving together may bring a twelve-pack or a four-pack of 12-ounce wine coolers).  
  17. No alcoholic beverages shall be present at any organization recruitment function, regardless of location.  A recruitment function is defined as any activity where the primary purpose is membership recruitment. 
  18. No alcoholic beverages shall be present at any pledge/associate/new member program or activity of social fraternities and sororities, including, but not limited to, initiation or pre-initiation activities, pledge or associate member retreats, pledge/new member exchanges, new member interviews, and big brother/sister revealing.  This includes bringing alcoholic beverages as gifts. 
  19. The possession, sale and/or use of any illegal drug or controlled substance at an organization-related event or at an organization-related facility is prohibited.  If organization officers become aware of such activity, it is their responsibility to immediately terminate the activity and initiate disciplinary action against the responsible members.  If the organization officers fail to take such action, the organization assumes responsibility for the activity.  
  20. Whenever a social event is taking place at organization-related facilities (such as fraternity and sorority chapter houses), all alcohol consumption is prohibited in bedrooms and apartments.  In organization-related facilities, bottles of hard liquor are only permitted in the rooms of residents who are over the age of 21.  No hard alcohol may be consumed during an event held at organization-related facilities.  During times when a social event is not in progress, only active members and alumni over the age of 21 (i.e., minors or guests) shall be allowed to consume hard alcohol in the common areas of organization-related facilities. 

Section 13: Publicity


Student organizations may conduct information tabling for publicizing their group and its activities in approved locations on campus.  The purpose of tabling is to provide GC student organizations with an outlet to disseminate information, to promote awareness, to recruit for involvement, and to raise funds.  Tabling is permitted by reservation through 25Live and is subject to approval by Campus Life.  All university policies for publicity, food sales and service, commercial representation and sales, and other applicable regulations must be followed and the purpose of tabling approvals must be obtained before requests for tabling will be approved.  

Recognized student organizations can secure a table from the Information Desk in the Student Activities Center and must follow these guidelines:

  1. Complete the space reservation request through 25Live.
  2. Come to the Student Center Information Desk in the DEN in the Student Activities Center to pick up your table.
  3. Provide a $10 deposit or a valid Bobcat Card, which will be returned when the table is returned. 

An Information Tabling Authorization Card will be issued to the recognized student organization as verification of approved status.  This card must be present at the table at all times or tabling operations will be shut down.  This card must also be returned along with the table. 

1. Logistics 
Tabling is permitted in specified tabling locations (e.g., Front Campus, Arts & Science Fountain, etc.) during academic semesters only, Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.  Tabling is not permitted during Finals Weeks or break periods.  One table per organization can be checked out free of charge by the Information Office in the DEN at the Student Activities Center.  Requests are processed through the Student Center Information Desk.  For more information, contact the Student Center Information Desk at (478) 445-4027.

2. Approvals 
Auxiliary Services is the authorizing department for commercials sales, promotion, and representation for the GC campus.  Approval must be obtained from Auxiliary Services located in MSU Room 114.  Once approved by Auxiliary Services, Campus Life will provide the table based upon the procedures outlined above. 

3. Food and Beverage
Commercial food and beverage products must be approved by Auxiliary Services and Campus Life. Environmental Protection & Occupational Safety, Auxiliary Services, Public Safety, or Campus Life may shut down a tabling event if policies and procedures are not followed. 

4. Exceptions 
Requests for an exception to this policy must be made in writing to Campus Life no later than ten (10) business days in advance and will be reviewed, as appropriate. 


1. Bobcat Vision
a. Eligibility 
The system is available to student groups, campus departments, and any other university-affiliated entities.  Bobcat Vision is a student-fee supported program, as such, student events/announcements will be of a higher priority than posting requests from departments, auxiliary service groups, or any other university-affiliated organizations.  

Bobcat Vision has limited space, yet reaches the entire campus, as such, not all posting requests will be honored, at the discretion of the Department of Campus Life.  The events/announcements that are posted to Bobcat Vision should be applicable to a large number of students within the university.  Moreover, the events should be open to the whole student body and should show diversity across majors, classifications, social status, etc.  Further, Campus Life will maintain the ability to post or remove a requested posting at any time pending the department's decision regarding the pertinence of a post as it relates to a significant portion of the student body. 

The Bobcat Vision advertising request form can be found here.

b. Rules and Requirements

  • Messages pertinent to only selected individuals or organization members or of a personal nature will not be displayed.
  • Messages promoting the use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco will not be displayed. 
  • Messages that refer to weekly meetings will not be displayed.
  • Messages will be displayed for no longer than a two (2) week period of time.
  • Messages cannot require changing more than two (2) times a week.
  • Messages to be considered for display must be submitted on a "Bobcat Vision Advertising Request Form" which can be located on OrgSync. 
  • Request forms must be submitted by 4 p.m. at least three (3) working days before the message is to be displayed. 
  • Content of the messages may be altered slightly to adjust to message board format.

2.  Banners
a. Banner Policy
Requests must be submitted at least five (5) business days in advance to the Student Activities Center Information Desk.  Off-campus customers are not permitted to submit banner requests.  Campus Life reserves the right to refuse banners.  Student organization banners may be hung for no longer than one (1) week.  Campus Life cannot guarantee specific display locations, as they will be placed on a space-available basis.  For more information regarding banners see Chapter 9: Campus Policies Related to Student Involvement.

b. Guidelines

  • Banners must be no smaller than 2'x 6' and no larger than 3'x 10', made of sturdy canvas or vinyl and have grommets (wind vents are recommended).
  • Banners must be delivered to the Student Activities Center Information Desk in the DEN within one (1) week before the banner is to be hung. 
  • Banners must be removed within two (2) days of the conclusion of the event. 

3.  Walkway Signs
Walkway sign policy. Requests must be submitted at least five (5) business days in advance to the Student Activities Center Information Desk.  Off-campus customers are not permitted to submit banner requests.  Campus Life reserves the right to refuse Walkway signs.  Student organization walkway signs may be posted on campus for no longer than one (1) week.  Walkway signs must be placed such that pedestrian and vehicular traffic and building access are not obstructed. Locations are available on a first-come-first-serve basis.

a. Guidelines

  • Campus Life cannot guarantee that all sign requests will be granted.
  • Requests will only be granted for the advertisement of the student organization events in accordance with the university's posting guidelines.  (See Chapter 9: Campus Policies Related to Student Involvement for more information).

4.  Information on Publicity 
a. Handbills and Flyers 
Handbills and flyers may be distributed in person in open areas of the campus provided that pedestrian and vehicular traffic and building access are not obstructed.  Handbills and flyers may not be distributed within any campus building, directly in front of the Campus Bookstore entrance, in residence halls and on their adjacent grounds, on parked vehicles, and in parking lots or access points.  Handbills and flyers must clearly indicate the sponsoring organization.

b. Large Signs and Banners 
The posting of signs or banners larger than 18" by 22" is permitted but must be approved by Campus Life in advance.  No commercial posting is permitted.  Banners must contain the name of the sponsoring organization.  Sponsoring groups may not remove or post over other organization's banners and are limited to only one banner per organization unless prior approval is obtained from Campus Life. 

c. The Colonnade Newspaper 
The Colonnade provides a number of ways to publicize student organizations and special events.  The Colonnade cannot guarantee space; however, information is always welcome.  For specific information on publicizing in the campus newspaper, please visit their website. 

d. Residence Halls
The posting of flyers in the campus residence halls is subject to special regulations.  Inquire at the Department of University Housing for specific details and approval.  No materials may be placed under student room doors.  Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited.

e. Food Service Venues / Table Toppers
For any student group, individual, or organization that wishes to conduct any promotional advertising in The Max, Bobcat Food Court, or any other retail dining locations, table tents and paper promotional fliers are no longer permitted. However, students do have the opportunity to place their advertisements in the table toppers located throughout the venues. Advertisements must first be approved through Campus Life and must meet the appropriate size and specifications for display (See Campus Life or Auxiliary Services for details). The size of the inserts is 4.25 inches wide by 5.5 inches tall. If they are printing through the Print Shop, they will need a .33 inch white border around each side. Once approved, they can either be produced by the student or group on their own and then have each piece stamped with approval, or they can be produced (for a printing cost) through GC Print Services with a pre-approved seal. All produced pieces will then be turned over to Auxiliary Services for display during the approved time period. All advertisements are subject to approval and scheduling availability. No private business ventures may be advertised.

f. Staked Signs
Staked signs (i.e., signs attached to stakes or poles or yard signs) must be approved by Campus Life prior to displaying. 

5.  Inappropriate Publicity
Painting, chalking, tacking, taping, gluing, or stapling messages on walks, benches, trash cans, trees, The Colonnade stands, windows, walls, columns, buildings, fences, or other permanent structures (except where noted above) are not permitted.  Restricted materials on campus grounds include confetti, rice, powder, glitter, or similar materials. Individuals and groups may be assessed a fee for any extensive clean-up.

Messages may not be written or posted on classroom chalkboards or whiteboards, or instructor and departmental bulletin boards without permission from the instructor or department.    

No leafleting is permitted within any building, directly in front of the GC Bookstore entrance, in residence halls and on their adjacent grounds, and in parking lots and related structures and their pedestrian and vehicular access points. 

It is important to note that chalking on sidewalks is allowed under certain conditions. For more information please refer to Chapter 9: Campus Policies Related to Student Involvement. 

6.  Removal of Publicity of Other Organizations 
Student organizations shall not remove flyers, signs, or banners of other organizations unless all of the events advertised thereon haven been concluded.  Violation of this policy will result in the suspension of posting privileges.  Violations of the above policies and regulations on publicity will result in the immediate removal of the material and may further result in the discontinuance of the publicity, event cancellation, charges for clean-up and, building repair, disciplinary sanctions against individuals or officers of recognized student organizations, and possible suspension of campus recognition.