The Parent Leadership Council is a select group of parent leaders who are vital to the growth and well-being of Georgia College. The PLC was formed during the 2016-2017 academic year and has been instrumental in recruitment and retention of students at Georgia College. We are proud and honored to have these dedicated parents serve on the PLC at Georgia College, helping us ensure their own students and each of their Georgia College classmates receives a premier education and graduates prepared to succeed.
Parents on the PLC serve as advocates and ambassadors of Georgia College in these important roles:
- Conduct phone calls to parents of high school students considering GC. Working from a small list of future students and their parents, PLC members speak about their experiences as a GC parent and answer any questions the prospective parent may have. If these students and their parents are on the fence about coming to GC, a personal phone call from a PLC parent may be the deciding factor.
- Write letters/e-mails to your child’s high school counselor about their positive experience at GC. Many high school students rely on the advice of their high school counselors when making college choices. A personal touch with a counselor can make a difference when they are giving their recommendations to a student who could be successful at GC.
- Attend welcome receptions in your region for newly admitted GC students and information receptions for high school students or transfer students who are considering GC. Welcome receptions are conducted in the spring at select locations around the state. Information receptions are held in the fall at select locations around the state. These are hosted by the GC Admissions staff, and your attendance gives prospective parents the opportunity to hear your experiences as a GC parent.
- Attend one or two PLC meetings per academic year. One meeting will be held during Family Weekend in the fall (September 27-29, 2019). A second meeting will be conducted during the spring. Your attendance at these meetings give you an opportunity to interact with GC administrators and network with other PLC members, as well as advise the office of parent and family programs on upcoming initiatives and learn about opportunities to volunteer your time and talents for GC.
- Support GC with an annual gift at a level you are comfortable with. The recommended gift is $500, and those members who give $1,000 or more will also become members of the President’s Society. Larger gifts may also be associated with naming opportunities for you to leave your family’s legacy on GC. Your gifts through the PLC directly impact the student experience by allowing GC to enhance the programs and facilities that contribute to the safety, learning, and social opportunities of our community.
Parents who are interested in joining the PLC should contact:
Emily Jarvis, Director of Parent and Family Programs
Campus Box 27
Milledgeville, GA 31061