FAQ's for Faculty and Staff

The following are FAQs for faculty and staff who may play a role in providing academic support to students who may be experiencing the effects of conduct that potentially violates Title IX and other relevant laws, including sexual harassment, sexual assault, relationship violence, domestic violence, and stalking.

When a student requires academic support, you will be contacted by administrative offices that play a role in this process, such as the Office of Student Affairs and the Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Legal Affairs. Please be assured that when you are contacted, an assessment has already been made that this type of support is warranted for the student.

What are my responsibilities to students who may be impacted?

When a student is experiencing or has been experiencing negative impacts in their academics as a result of conduct that potentially violates Title IX and other relevant laws, including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking, the University provides academic support. The type of academic support depends on their situation and needs. Generally, support should be provided when:

  • the student is participating in the criminal justice process or institutional processes, such as a student conduct matter or investigation, and it interferes with their coursework or classes;
  • they are engaged in safety planning, such as relocating or attending protection order hearings; or
  • they are experiencing the immediate impacts of such conduct, whether by a student, employee, or third party.
What if the student in my class is the one who has been accused of inappropriate conduct?

You may also be asked to provide similar support to these students while they are engaged in an institutional process, such as the Student Conduct process.

What type of academic support might I be asked to provide?

Examples include:

  • Arranging for students to make up coursework or exams or identify an alternative to avoid a negative consequence to their grade; or
  • Arranging for students to have extra time to complete or re-take a class or withdraw from a class without an academic or financial penalty.
What information will I be given?

Given the sensitive nature of such issues, the privacy of the students is paramount; therefore, these offices will simply inform you that they are providing support to a student. In some cases, you may be contacted in advance to alert you that the student may need academic support in the future.

How does this differ from the disability accommodation process for students?

Not all students who are experiencing impacts may have a medical condition where they may receive disability accommodations. In some cases, you may be asked to implement exceptions to course expectations in urgent or emerging circumstances separate than accommodations. Once the circumstances have been resolved, you will be notified. If the student does have a disability that requires accommodations, then the disability accommodation process would be the primary method for students to seek accommodations for any short or long-term effects.

What if I am concerned that the request for an exception is not reasonable or consistent with the course expectations?

Inform the office that contacted you if you have concerns. Similarly to disability accommodations, if a request for an exception is not reasonable, then other options should be explored. The Title IX Coordinator can provide consultation as needed.