The Office of Student Health and Wellbeing promotes holistic wellbeing for all GCSU students by offering support services, resources, programs, and activities. Bobcats FIRST is a campus-wide initiative focused on the four domains of wellbeing: emotional, physical, social, and intellectual.
Four Domains of Wellbeing
We are emotionally well when we can identify and anticipate our pressure points. This includes knowing what triggers feelings of stress, anxiety, sadness, and other challenging emotions.
Emotional wellbeing can be strengthened through:
- Practicing mindfulness
- Developing a supportive network
- Learning stress management and resilience techniques
- Seeking help
Physical wellbeing means understanding the mind-body connection. When our bodies are properly cared for with sleep, balanced eating, and movement, our minds are more alert and able to cope with stress.
Physical wellbeing can be strengthened through:
- Getting some movement into every day
- Balancing eating and drinking plenty of water
- Using alcohol responsibly and avoiding cigarettes, vaping, and other drugs
- Implementing good sleep habits
Social wellbeing comes when we have positive and sustained interactions with the people around us. Finding social balance means prioritizing relationships, communicating effectively, and identifying hobbies or activities that bring us happiness.
Social wellbeing can be strengthened through:
- Joining a group of people with similar interests
- Taking part in fun activities
- Trying out a new hobby or activity
- Knowing when you need time to decompress
We can be intellectually well when we learn to cope with stress and setbacks, view learning as an opportunity to grow, and accept and work to improve on our weaknesses.
Intellectual wellbeing can be strengthened through:
- Adopting good studying and time management skills
- Focusing on having a growth mindset ("I can always improve") instead of a fixed mindset ("I'll never be good at this")
- Learn interesting things outside of class by reading or listening to podcasts