GC received funding from the CARES Act to assist students who were affected financially due to disruption of campus operations. Many of our students have received these emergency funds because they met a set of criteria based on guidance from the U.S. Department of Education and the University System of Georgia. All funding disbursed to students should be used for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations.
Students who had a FAFSA on file for the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 aid year with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 - $25,000 were automatically awarded based on the tiers below and the below eligibility requirements. Students with EFCs of greater than $25,000 can apply using the application below and will be awarded $300 if approved.
EFC $0 - $5,576 = $800 award
EFC $5,577 - $15,000 = $500 award
EFC $15,001 - $25,000 = $300 award
To find your EFC, visit your PAWS account, Financial Aid Tab, select appropriate Aid Year, select College Financing Plan. EFC is located toward the bottom under Other Options.
In a continuous efforts to assist our students, an additional disbursement of $300 will be disbursed to all students who have received CARES Funds for Spring term 2020 and are enrolled during Summer term prior to June 15, 2020. Students will receive these funds approximately June 18, 2020.
Students who were not automatically awarded the emergency grant can be considered for funding if they meet ALL of the following eligibility requirements:
- Have not already received emergency financial aid grant funds from the CARES Act (unless additional supporting documentation is submitted for review)
- Complete a 2019-2020 FAFSA Application or 2020-2021 FAFSA Application (if you haven’t already)
- Meet Title IV eligibility requirements, to include but not limited to:
U.S. Citizenship or Eligible Noncitizen
Valid Social Security Number
Registration with Selective Service if the student is male
Have a high school diploma, GED, or have completed a high school in an approved homeschool setting
- Were enrolled at Georgia College for Spring Term 2020 at the time of course disruption due to the Coronavirus
- Were not enrolled in all online courses for Spring Term 2020 prior to March 13, 2020
- Complete the online Emergency Grant Funding Application using the “CARES Act Application” link below. Students who are approved for funding will receive $300 from these funds. A CARES review committee will review each application and render approval or denials. Processing time will take 2 to 3 weeks.
*Please note that students who have not completed a FAFSA for 2019-2020 and have completed a 2020-2021 FAFSA, but have not completed the verification process will only be awarded $300.00. Once the verification process has been completed and if the updated EFC ranges in the above tiers, the student may be awarded additional eligibility not to exceed $800 in total funds.
Students with extreme documentable circumstances will need to submit documentation with the application to be considered for more than amount awarded. Students will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office on a case by case basis for additional eligibility amounts.