MENTAL HEALTH RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS
We know that college can be challenging and you have had to deal with more stress than usual. We want to remind you that you are not alone—there are a number of mental health resources available for you. In addition to Georgia College & State University's Counseling Services department, which is still here for you just like always, you now have another mental health support program, the GC Mental Health Initiative. Whether you are on campus, studying from home or studying abroad, GC Mental Health Initiative is here for you, offering support options to meet you where you are.
Mental Health Emergencies & Crisis Resources
If you think that you may act on thoughts of harming yourself or others, please seek help immediately from one or more of the following options:
Call GC Public Safety 478-445-4400 (available 24 hours per day)
Call GC Counseling Services 478-445-5331 (available 8am-5pm Monday-Friday)
Call the GC Mental Health 24/7 Support Line 833-855-0085 (24 hours per day)
Call the Georgia Crisis and Access Line at 1-800-715-4225 (available 24 hours per day)
Go to the Emergency Room of the nearest hospital – Atrium Navicent Health Baldwin
821 North Cobb Street, Milledgeville, GA 478-776-4016
Go to the River Edge/Baldwin Crisis Service Center at 60 Blandy Way, Milledgeville, GA,
(24 hours per day; 478-451-2797).
Check out all of the resources listed below to help you on your journey to better mental health.
24/7 Support Line
Through our partner Christie Campus Health, GC is able to provides students with 24/7 access to mental health professionals. Students with immediate needs can call 833 855 0085 and be connected with licensed clinicians for in-the-moment and ongoing support at no cost.
- A 24/7/365 mental health support line for in-the-moment support from counselors and guidance with next steps, regardless of time of day or your location
- Free telehealth counseling sessions. These are available to you no matter where you are (on or off campus, any state or internationally) and no insurance necessary.
- One-on-one personal assistance to help navigate any challenges or barriers you may face in reaching mental health support. This includes assistance with accessing mental health providers, specialty providers, housing and food supports and or other services that will help support your academic success.
- Assistance with Mental Health Medication. Have questions about a prescription? Need help managing your treatment? You have access to an online prescribing clinic for evaluation and management of mental health medications. To access these services, call the 24/7 support line at 833-855-0085 or contact the counseling center.
- Live Health Online: How to Access Virtual Mental Health Counseling Sessions
Effective August 1, 2023: New portal to access Virtual Mental Health Counseling Sessions has been created for the USG System.
Students seeking counseling sessions for the first time should access services through this site.
- Go to www.USG.startlivehealthonline.com if on your laptop OR Download the LiveHealth Online app
- Click "Sign Up” to create a user account and follow directions.
- Enter your service key:GCSUSTUDENT
- Click on the University System of Georgia LiveHealth Online StudentTeletherapy tile
- Search for a therapist by when you want an appointment or by name. Therapists will be shown based on your location and their availability.
- After deciding on a therapist you’d like to see, schedule an appointment with that provider.
- You will receive a confirmation email once you have scheduled your appointment. Save it.
- 5-10 minutes prior to your appointment, open the confirmation or reminder email, scroll to the bottom and click ‘Start visit’. Enter any additional information as needed
TAO is a private online library of engaging, interactive programs to learn life skills and to help you bounce back from disappointments or stumbling blocks in life. As you watch videos and engaged with our interactive components, you’ll gain the knowledge, self-awareness, and skills you need to achieve your goals.
Counseling Services provides in person and Telehealth appointments. If you would like to schedule an appointment call 478-445-5331, email us at email@example.com, or if you already have a relationship with a counselor, email your counselor directly.
Students are also encouraged to access self-help resources through our free online library of engaging, interactive programs for support with anxiety, depression, insomnia, communication and more. Sign up or sign in here with your Bobcats email.
If you are concerned about the wellbeing of any GC student for any reason, you can contact the CARE Team. Anyone at risk for acting on thoughts of harming themselves or others, should seek help immediately by calling Public Safety at 478 445-4400.
Mental Health Trainings (Free to GCSU students and employees)
QPR- training to help recognize signs of suicide risk, develop skills in starting conversations to direct at-risk people to resources Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Mental Heatlh First Aid - training to help recognize signs of distress illness, develop skills in starting conversations to direct at-risk people to resources.
The University System of Georgia is providing free online trainings in these platforms available through May 2024.
USG's Mental Health Trainings