The International Education Center (IEC) of Georgia College (Officially known as Georgia College & State University) promotes international and cross-cultural learning and understanding, plus inclusive excellence, and the importance and benefits of diversity. The International Education Center is located in the historic Bone House across the street from the Old Governor's Mansion on South Clarke Street.
- Georgia College's academic programs are accredited by many prestigious accrediting and professional agencies. Interested in studying science and technology? Learn about STEM at Georgia College.
- The quality of Georgia College's world-class, transformative, and student-centered education is attested to by its high national rankings.
Through its mission and its dedication to advancing the above, the IEC assists the university by:
- Developing domestic and international graduates prepared for success in a global economy, ready to lead and to shoulder their responsibilities as informed citizens of an increasingly diverse and interconnected world.
- Promoting and supporting the international research needs and interests of Georgia College faculty.
- Offering cultural and educational programming both on-campus and within the local community
- Serving as a clearinghouse of expertise connecting Georgia College, Milledgeville, the region, and the state with the world - and the world with it.
The IEC is the vibrant home - and center of personalized assistance - to the academically-gifted students from around the globe who increasingly make Georgia College their institution of choice and enrich our campus and regional community.
- Admission requirements.
- Scholarship information.
- Application deadlines.
- Georgia College welcomes - and encourages - applications from students with disabilities, and from students from diverse and/or challenged and "at-risk" backgrounds. All are welcome at Georgia College and beautiful Milledgeville.
Study Abroad and International Exchange
The Center facilitates and coordinates international academic study, research, and internship opportunities for all Georgia College students, as well as partnerships and exchanges with institutions abroad.
- Presently, nearly 300 Georgia College students - representing over thirty different majors - study abroad for academic credit each year in nearly two dozen separate nations worldwide.
Students may study abroad on short-term programs - often with faculty in their majors - or through semester or even academic year-long programs at major universities throughout the world.
Support for Faculty and International Scholars
The IEC provides specialized assistance to the university’s dedicated – and student-centered - faculty members to conduct international research - and/or create and lead faculty-led study abroad programs – as well as providing valuable support to Georgia College’s international faculty and to international visiting scholars and artists-in-residence.
- International research opportunities for faculty - such as the prestigious Fulbright Scholar Program are promoted, managed, and supported through the International Education Center.
- The university's Senior International Officer - the Assistant Vice-President for International Education/Director of the International Education Center - is Georgia College's designated Fulbright Scholar Liaison.
- For complete information about the Fulbright program and available opportunities, contact the IEC.
Community Connections, Support and Programming
As a decidedly community-oriented unit dedicated to global engagement, the IEC organizes a strong array of cultural and informational programming, and provides support for community initiatives such as the annual Passport Fair - offered in collaboration with the U.S. Department of State - and the Connections community friendship and mentorship program that supports Georgia College's international students.
The IEC also advises and supports the large and very popular International Club comprised of both domestic and international students.
Georgia College's Dedication to the Health and Well-Being of Students Studying Abroad
Safety, well-being and other related considerations are essential components of each and every education abroad program offered by Georgia College. Georgia College adheres to the highest professional standards of safety and risk management in education abroad as established by the leading organizations in the field.
- Georgia College is a member, for example, of the Forum for Education Abroad, the organization that has established the most widely-accepted standards of good practices related to studies abroad. The International Education Center adheres to, and implements, the Forum’s important Standard 8 on safety abroad and risk assessment.
- In addition, the International Education Center monitors world events through a variety of government-based resources, including the U.S. Department of State, the Overseas Security and Advisory Council (OSAC), and the Center for Disease Control (CDC), as well as foreign-based resources, including (but not limited to): the British Foreign Service and Commonwealth Office and the Canadian Government's Foreign Travel Advice websites.
- Georgia College also works closely with its own foreign university partners, contacts, and study abroad affiliates for detailed "on-the-ground" understanding and assessments of local and regional events or concerns.
- Additionally, all study abroad students, faculty, and staff are covered by comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance plans specifically tailored for the unique needs and circumstances of study abroad participants.
- All of the above critical information (and more) is delivered in pre-departure group orientations and/or in one-on-one advising sessions.
For more information on these matters - or to pose specific questions related to studies abroad - kindly e-mail the International Education Center's study abroad specialists at email@example.com or call the IEC office at (478) 445-4789.
The IEC Professional Staff
The International Education Center is led by the center’s director, the Assistant Vice President for International Education, who serves as the university's senior international officer. The director is supported by a full-time staff of four international education professionals with specializations in the fields of: Education Abroad; Immigration and International Admissions; and International Student Services - all of whom carry responsibilities related to student and faculty support, plus programmatic activities and initiatives. The office is further assisted by an administrative assistant trained in the complexities of international education and services, and a graduate assistant, plus several student interns and student workers having interests in service, diversity, and international affairs. The work of the center is enhanced by the input of several committees with participation by faculty and staff, as well as by those who serve on the University System of Georgia’s system council and committees, including councils representing activities in Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. The office and its staff maintain active memberships in the most important national and international professional organizations related to international education, including NAFSA, the Forum on Education Abroad, EAIE, and others.
The International Education Center is located in the historic Bone House across the street from the Old Governor's Mansion on South Clarke Street. The office is open from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Stay up-to-date with all of the happenings of the International Education Center by reading our newsletter.
(The newsletter is temporarily suspended pending the transition to a new format offering expanded coverage.)
All Georgia College students are welcome to join the International Club, one of the largest and most active student organizations on campus. For more information about the International Club click here or contact the International Education Center.
Phone: (1) 478-445-4789
Fax: (1) 478-445-2623
141 S. Clarke St.
Campus Box 049
Milledgeville, GA 31061 USA