The Oxford Overseas Study Course
Since 1972, The Oxford Overseas Study Course is a flagship study abroad program of the Georgia College & State University experience. The Oxford Overseas Study Course was founded by Dr. Francis Warner, Dean of Degrees & Emeritus Fellow of St. Peter's College at The University of Oxford and Honorary Fellow, St. Catherine's College at The University of Cambridge. Dr. Warner is an internationally renowned poet and playwright who founded the program in order to provide American students the unique opportunity of tutorial study in Oxford. Dr. Warner co-directed the program with his wife, Mrs. Penelope Warner, who coordinated the day-to-day administration of the program. The Warners now serve in an advisory capacity and host OOSC for a traditional English tea. The Oxford program is directed by Mr. Deepak Mukhi, MA (Cantab. - The University of Cambridge).
Each Georgia College student selects one major tutorial (worth 8 Georgia College credit hours) and one minor tutorial (worth 4 Georgia College credit hours) for each 9-week term. Individual tutors provide personal instruction in virtually any course of study from the fields of humanities and social sciences. Fall semester students take an introductory course in as part of the orientation program in September. This course is equivalent to 3 Georgia College credit hours.
Fall Semester: Total of 15 credit hours
Spring Semester: Total of 18 credit hours
May Term (Summer Option): 12 credit hours
If you are participating on the OOSC program:
- You will not be a member of an Oxford college or matriculated at Oxford University but will have access to certain libraries and the Bodleian.
- You will participate in the traditional tutorial method of teaching with Oxford professors.
- You will be housed in single room accommodation for the duration of the Program. If you attend the Hilary and Trinity Terms (January to June) you will be entitled to housing without further cost of the intervening vacation period (one month break).
- There will be a program of 3-4 day trips or special events each term at no additional charge.
- You will be enrolled as a member of The Oxford Union Society without further charge.
- You will be given a meal stipend from OOSC of £50 per week for 8-10 weeks depending on your term of participation.
Spring Application Deadline
Summer Application Deadline (Limited Basis)
- 3.7 GPA at Georgia College
- Junior Standing
- Two Letters of Reference
- One Page Statement of Purpose
- Interview with the Assistant Vice President of International Education