The Climbing Wall at the Wellness and Recreation Center is one of many impressive features in our state of the art building. The Climbing Wall is staffed by the WRC and managed through the Outdoor Center at Georgia College.
Our trained staff is ready to assist new climbers, as well as help experienced climbers make the most of their wall workout. Prior climbing experience is not required. Just let the staff know you want to climb, we'll take it from there! Climbing is a great way to workout. Join one of the climbing challenges or follow a workout routine card. Watch for Climbing Wall Game Nights, New Climbing Challenges, Belay Classes and more!
The Climbing Wall is currently closed due to Covid-19 social distancing efforts.
Please check back for updates.
Climbing Wall Policies
The following policies are to be observed during any contract programs or open climb sessions at the Climbing Wall:
Rules of the Wall
- All climbers must check in at Member Services before entering the climbing area.
- Loose jewelry/glasses must be secured and all objects from pockets must be removed before climbing.
- No food, drink, or gum/candy is allowed in the climbing wall area.
- Climbers may use personal gear. Only commercially manufactured climbing equipment in good condition is allowed. Manufacturers guidelines for retirement must be followed. Climbing wall staff will inspect all harnesses and determine if they are appropriate for use.
- Only climbing shoes are allowed on the climbing wall. No climbing shoes may be worn outside the climbing area.
- Only chalk balls/socks are allowed. No loose chalk. Clean up after yourself.
- Communicate! Talk to your climber/belayer/spotter!
- When bouldering you must stay below the marked maximum height; spotters are recommended.
- No one is permitted to belay or tie themselves into a rope until they pass the WRC Climbing Wall Basic Belay Test.
- All belayers must stand. Sitting or laying while belaying is not permitted.
- Lead climbing and lead belaying are not allowed without first passing the WRC Climbing Wall Lead Test.
- Tightening, loosening, or moving holds in any manner is not allowed without authorization of WRC Climbing Wall Staff.
- Please report loose holds, bad wear spots on ropes, or any issue you believe to be a safety hazard.
- Personal items should be stored in the bench shelving. No personal items should be on the climbing wall surface.
- Please be courteous and respectful to other participants. Vulgar or obscene language will not be tolerated.
We provide the gear you'll need!
Our Climbing Wall staff is trained and equipped to provide you with all the gear you'll need, including a harness and climbing shoes. Participants may choose to bring their own chalk and chalk bags.
(chalk not included)
Basic Belay Class
Members learn how to manage the rope in order to keep the climber safe and includes proper knots, climbing commands, and harness safety checks. Before climbing independently, members must pass a belay check-off demonstrating competency with the skills needed to ensure a climber’s safety. Taking this class and/or successfully passing the test will allow members to climb on their own during open roped climbing hours.