preparing students through a Hands-on curriculum
The mission of the BS in Environmental Science is to prepare students to explore the interrelationships between human and natural systems. Students completing this major are well prepared for employment in a variety of state and federal agencies, consulting firms, or for admission into graduate school.
Our Degrees & Programs
Environmental Sciences B.S.
The Bachelor of Science in Environmental Sciences prepares students to explore the interrelationships between human and natural systems and to think critically and analytically in order to solve the environmental problems facing our society.
Environmental Sciences B.S. (Marine Science Concentration)
Students pursuing Marine Science gain an advanced understanding of living organisms and the ecosystems with which they interact through competitive research and scholarship and build public understanding and community engagement of the living world by collaborating with local community, state, regional and international entities.
Key Benefits of this Degree
- Science on Display — study in our new Integrated Science Center and work closely with faculty members in the laboratory with research courses such as ENSC 4999.
- Get hands-on career experience through an internship course: ENSC 4961
- Engage in high-level research through the Vertically Integrated Projects (VIP) Program as a transformative approach enhancing training by engaging undergraduate in ambitious, long-term, large-scale, multidisciplinary project teams that are led by faculty
- Study away or abroad while completing degree requirements with offerings in Ecosystems of Georgia, The Bahamas, Zambia, and Okinawa, Japan.
What can my career look like with this degree?
Every drop we drink
Most people turn on faucets without much thought about how the water gets there. Until summer 2022, Avery Lundy of Jones County was one of them.
Career Paths for Environmental Science Majors
Careers pursued by alumni of our program:
- Clean waste manager at nuclear generating station
- Community impact director
- Corporate social responsibility & ESG analyst
- Data management analyst
- Energy benchmarking analyst
- Energy transition analyst
- Environmental chemist
- Environmental compliance specialist
- Environmental construction manager
- Environmental consultant
- Environmental education director
- Environmental engineer
- Environmental science and biology teacher
- Environmental scientist
- Environmental specialist
- Field scientist
- Fish biologist
- GIS (Geographic Information Systems)analyst
- Industrial hygiene and occupational specialist
- Land surveyor
- Marine ecologist
- Nature center director
- NEPA (National Environmental Policy Act)planning associate
- STEM education facilitator
- Recycling & waste diversion analyst
- Safety and compliance associate
- Solar specialist
Top employers of recent ENvironmental Science alumni
- City of Savannah
- Cox Enterprises
- ERM: Environmental Resources Management
- FOX Environmental, LLC
- Fulton County School District
- Georgia EPD (Environmental Protection Division)
- Georgia DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources)
- HHNT: Hodges, Harbin, Newberry & Tribble, Inc.
- Lockerly Arboretum
- Southern Company Gas
- TriLeaf Corporation
- University of Georgia
- US Forest Service