With the advancement of technology, a vast amount of data is produced at an extraordinary pace. According to Forbes “Data is growing faster than ever before and by the year 2020, about 1.7 megabytes of new information will be created every second for every human being on the planet.” Government and businesses are interested in extracting information from these big data they are producing every day. These have created a need for a data scientist who can produce good data-driven products.
This data science certificate will prepare students for professional careers in data science and graduate studies in Data Science, Statistics, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, and Machine learning. After completion of the certificate students will be able to:
- Master open-source computing software like R or Python;
- Collect data from different data sources, clean data and construct data visualization;
- Build multiple regression, polynomial regression, truncated regression, logistic regression, ridge regression, and the Lasso;
- Perform linear model diagnostics and subset selection;
- Understand machine learning methods like regression trees, classification trees, and random forests;
- Perform inferential statistics in the form of a confidence interval, z test, t-test, ANOVA, and the chi-square test;
- Communicate these findings for better business decisions.
- Apply ethical standards to the conduct of data science, including data analysis and reporting, data sharing, and data security and/or privacy.
Undergraduate certificates may only be earned and will only be awarded in conjunction with a bachelor's degree. They will not be awarded as an independent credential.