Frequently Asked Questions and Housing Definitions

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions. If your answer doesn't appear below, please contact our office via email or at 478-445-5160.

When should I apply for housing?

Students should apply and submit their room reservation/security deposit as soon as possible. Rooms are assigned by the date the contract is completed. A complete contract includes application and payment. Roommate requests can be honored in most cases as long as both applications are received by April 1.

Can I specify which residence hall I want to live in?

You can request a specific roommate and list your preference for a residence hall or The Village apartment, but there is no guarantee of being placed in a specific space.

What is the difference between The Village and the residence halls?

The Village is apartment style living designed for students who would like more independence than the residence halls provide.

Are the floors in the residence halls alternated by gender?

All suites are of the same gender. All floors house suites of both men and women.

Are the apartments at The Village co-ed?

Only under special request by all occupants in the same apartment.

Can I pay with financial aid?

Financial aid can apply toward residence hall and The Village fees.

Are utilities included?

All utilities such as water, electricity, garbage and sewer are included with your rent.

Can a University Housing contract be canceled during the year?

The University Housing contract is a legal agreement and is binding for the fall and spring semesters. Contracts at The Village are for 12 months.

Will I need insurance, such as GradGuard?

We highly recommend that each student review their insurance coverage before arriving on campus. In some cases a student living in the residence halls may be covered by a parents' homeowner's or renter's insurance. For more information or to purchase college student property insurance, visit the Grad Guard website.

Do I need to find my own roommate to live in The Village?

You can choose your roommate(s), or we can assign a roommate for you.

What is the process for choosing roommates and suite mates?

You may request a specific roommate on your housing application/contract. Roommate requests must be mutual. We recommend that you and your potential roommate apply at the same time to increase the possibility of living together. Roommate requests can be honored in most cases as long as both applications are received by April 1.

How am I supposed to live with someone I've never met?

Living with someone new can be challenging - especially when they come from a background different from you. We recommend all roommates complete the Roommate / Suite mate Agreement to help create a framework for what is and is not acceptable between roommates and suite mates. 

How do I request a room change?

After the first two weeks of the semester, room changes can be requested online. Room change instructions can be found here

How to I submit a maintenance request?

To have a repair made in your room, please complete the form at Most repairs are completed within 24 hours. 

What size are the mattresses?

Mattresses in the residence halls are extra-long twin (36 inches x 80 inches). Mattresses at The Village are standard full-size. To shop for bedding and other room accessories, visit the Dorm Co website.

Can students bunk or loft their beds?

You have the option of renting or purchasing a loft in any of the residence halls. Please note that Bell Hall and The Village already have lofts.

What furniture is available for rent?

Students have the option of renting lofts and microfridges/microwaves from College Products. Visit their website for more information.

What kind of appliances are allowed in the room?

In the residence halls, refrigerators no larger than 4.3 cubic feet and 2 running amps and microwave no larger than 800 watts are allowed. No cooking appliances with exposed heating elements are allowed. Fire safety requirements require cooking to be done only in kitchens provided in each hall. More information will be provided prior to opening of the residence halls. Each apartment at The Village includes a full kitchen with microwave, stove top, oven, full-size fridge, dishwasher and garbage disposal. Residents of The Village may bring their own small appliances. Refer to the Housing Handbook for more details.  

What should a student NOT bring to campus?

Weapons and firearms, halogen lamps, toaster ovens, hot plates, space heaters, flaming items including candles and incense, coffee pots with exposed heating elements and any items or appliances the university deems potentially dangerous. More information will be provided prior to opening in the fall. Refer to the Housing Handbook for more details.  

Are pets allowed?

The only pets allowed are fish in a 10 gallon or smaller tank.

How do I pay for my laundry?

Washers and dryers on Central Campus operate on Cat Cash by swiping your Bobcat Card. Click here to make a Bobcat Card deposit.

What about high speed wireless Internet?

Wireless Internet is available across campus. Internet access in residence halls and at The Village has been boosted to offer you the fastest access available in Milledgeville.

Can students change their meal plan?

Meal plans can be increased at any time, but can only be lowered until Aug. 1 for the fall semester and Dec. 1 for the spring semester by contacting the University Housing Office.

Is there parking on-site?

Parking is available near each building on Central Campus or West Campus. 

Can freshmen have cars?


How do I order a care package?

Several care package options are available through the Georgia College Resident Student Association. You can learn more about care packages and place orders here