Safety and U.S. Laws

Milledgeville is a relatively safe town that does not have the crime rates of larger cities. However, it is always important to take precautions, especially since being new to a place may make you more vulnerable.


  • Always lock your residence hall room or apartment when you leave, even if you plan to be gone only a short while.
  • Do not carry large sums of cash or valuables.
  • Walk confidently, directly, at a steady pace.
  • Stay in well-lit areas as much as possible and avoid walking alone at night. If you need someone to walk with you, call the GC escort service or Public Safety at 445-4054 or 445-4400.
  • Don't let alcohol or other drugs impair your judgment.
  • Dial 911 or campus safety (445-4054 or 445-4400) in an emergency or use the emergency call boxes located throughout campus.


If at anytime you have questions concerning U.S. laws or your safety while in the U.S., please talk with the International Center staff. While many of the laws may be similar to ones in your country, there are some differences, and it is important to be aware of those. Listed below are two U.S. laws that you may not be familiar with:

Drinking Age: You must be at least 21 years of age to purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, liquor) in public and at home. You must show "I.D." (identification) when buying or ordering alcoholic beverages.

"Open Container": You cannot be in a public place (street, park, etc.) with an open container of alcohol. This law applies to everyone, even for those over 21, and also includes having an "open container" in a car driven by a non-drinking driver.