Social Security Cards

In the U.S., the term social security number refers to an identification number given to individuals by the federal government. Any international student who works in the U.S. must obtain a social security number.

F-1 and J-1 visa students who have an on-campus job or who have been granted off-campus employment authorization are eligible and should apply for a social security number. 

To obtain a social security number, you must apply at the local Social Security Office at 109 Cypress Corners (478-452-0106) by presenting a completed application form (available at the International Center or Social Security Office), a letter from your employer verifying your employment, a letter from the International Center (or exchange program sponsor), your passport, I-20 (or DS-2019) and I-94 card.

It can take several weeks before receiving a social security card, so eligible students should apply as soon as possible but should wait at least 10 days after arriving to the United States to ensure their information is in the system.