The Office of Mentored Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors provides up to $500 in an academic year in travel support for no more than two presenters per project to be presented at an academic conference. Travel support is available only for those presenting their original mentored research at a research conference or creative endeavors scholarly event/scholarly conference. There are costs not covered for student conference travel; therefore, before filling out the budget and signature page required in the application process, please refer to the section on this webpage "Follow these steps BEFORE completing and submitting your request for travel reimbursement" AND meet with your mentor for guidance as to acceptable budget items.
Please Note: Your college, department, etc., may provide funding to supplement the travel support. You will need to include other sources of funding (amounts and sources) on your MURACE budget/signature page.
Acceptance of applications for undergraduate student research travel funding begins the first week of classes of the fall semester and ends one week before the end every spring semester (applications for travel during the summer must be submitted no later than one week before the end of the spring semester). Applications for MURACE travel support are reviewed every Wednesday. To receive prompt consideration of your application, you must submit it NO LATER THAN 5 p.m. on Tuesday. Applications received after 5 p.m. on Tuesdays will be reviewed the Wednesday of the following week. To assure the review of an application in time to go through the approval process, the application must be received through GC Connect (application link is on this page) a minimum of 14 business days (during times the campus is open for official business) prior to the beginning conference travel date. NO application will be approved after travel has been completed.
Eligibility for MURACE Funding
Depends. If you are a currently enrolled undergraduate student that has conducted research under the supervision of GC faculty or teaching staff for the purpose of presentation or performance at a scholarly event/conference then, yes, you qualify for funding from MURACE. However, you are not eligible for SGA funding.
When MURACE Funding is not Appropriate
There are other funding sources at Georgia College that can provide financial assistance for student travel purposes, such as the Student Government Association's Student Travel Funding Committee (STFC). To learn more about SGA's student travel funding process, please visit their section below.
Stipulations on Usage of Funding
The funding can be used for most travel-related expenses such as meals (See Per Diem Limits above)), hotel rooms, hotel parking, airfare, baggage fees, ground transportation including Uber, Lyft), registrations, vehicle rentals, and gasoline purchased for vehicles (mileage reimbursements are prohibited). There are some expenses the funding is not authorized to be used for such as entertainment, membership fees, valet services for parking (when self-parking options are available), fees for choosing particular airline seats, travel insurance, and lodging booked through a private residence which includes but is not limited to such online sites as Airbnb, HomeAway, etc.
Per Diem Defined
Per diem is the maximum allowance for meals that be reimbursed per day. The General Services Administration (GSA) establishes per diem rates for destinations within the lower 48 Continental United States (CONUS).
Per Diem Limits
The per diem limit for MURACE student travel support is $28/day for conference event days other than travel days (in-state or out-of-state there is no difference) with $21/day for travel days (in-state or out-of-state there is no difference). Meals provided by the conference or those provided by the hotel (e.g. continental breakfast) are not covered by this travel support and should be deducted from the meal per diem amount. Please visit GSA to find the hotel rates outside the State of Georgia. Click on the state you need to view that state's rates or enter the location in the search box. Even though some cities are listed for your lookup convenience, not all cities can or will be listed, so look for the county where the conference or event will be held. To be reimbursed for travel support, recipients must submit receipts.
What To Do Before Applying
There are a number of things that you should do before applying for funding:
In consultation with your research mentor, apply to present your research at an appropriate conference.
If the research you want to present requires INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD (IRB) approval, please have a copy of the approval notification to submit with your application.
Upon receipt of confirmation that your proposal has been accepted, save your confirmation and create a PDF copy. You will need to submit a copy of the confirmation with your travel support application.
Create a budget for your estimated travel expenses using this BUDGET form. Please work with your faculty mentor in preparing your budget. You should save a copy of the guidelines; you will need to refer to them again in order to complete the travel reimbursement form. Once you have completed the budget section, print the form, obtain all of the required signatures, then scan and save a copy of the completed form as a PDF file.
Obtain a signed letter of support to present at the conference from your faculty mentor. Scan and save a copy of the letter to submit with your application materials.
Download to create a pdf, sign it in your own handwriting, have your witness sign and date a GCSU Travel Waiver in his or her handwriting; then, include it with the other required documents that accompany the application.WAIVER
Preferred Time to Apply
This all depends on your conference or event date, however, it is recommended you complete and submit your application at least two weeks prior to the conference date.
Additional Funding Options
Yes, however, you will need to disclose this information during the application process. MURACE can only provide up to $500 each for two presenters per project in one academic year. Your college or department may have additional funding to supplement the travel support you receive from MURACE. Once you have received approval for your proposal from MURACE and you need additional funding support, please contact the Honor’s program if you are an Honor’s student; your Dean’s Office if you are in the College of Business, the College of Education, or the College of Health Sciences; your Department Chairperson if your major is in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Things to Remember at the Conference or Event
Yes, it is important to save originals of all of your travel-related receipts, a copy of the conference program, a copy of the conference schedule, and a copy of the page listing your presentation that includes your name and title of your presentation. Please ensure the copy of the conference program also shows what meals (if any) were provided by the conference. Additionally, make notes of your reflections on the conference experience as you will be required to share your reflections upon your return to campus. All bills such as the hotel must be in the person paying's name. Only the person with his or her name on the bill will receive the reimbursement regardless of who pays the bill.
To Ensure You Receive Reimbursement
All documentation and requirements need to be completed and submitted to MURACE within ten days from your presentation date from the conference or competition.
Plan for after the Conference
Reflections are required after the conference.
Another Way to Access Needed Forms to be Submitted With the Application for Funding
Follow these steps BEFORE completing and submitting your request for travel reimbursement:
- Save originals of all of your travel-related receipts, including your conference registration receipt, air and ground travel (taxis, airport shuttles) receipts, hotel receipt, receipts for meals, gasoline receipts, etc.
- Save a copy of the conference program. You will need to provide a copy of the conference schedule, usually listed near the front of the program, and a copy of the page listing your presentation that includes your name and title of your presentation.
- Make notes of your reflections on the conference experience. Use the REFLECTION GUIDELINES as a guide for reflecting on the experience.
Follow these steps WITHIN TEN DAYS AFTER your PRESENTATION DATE AT the conference:
- Click on and download the reimbursement form NON-GC EMPLOYEE TRAVEL EXPENSE FORM. Meet with your faculty mentor for assistance with completing the form. IMPORTANT: Please complete the form electronically before printing it. Handwritten forms will not be accepted. The form will automatically total all of your costs. You should include the travel dates and the costs for the registration fee, meals not covered by conference or hotel at Georgia per diem rates, and fuel costs. Refer to this document for instructions on completing the form TRAVEL EXPENSE STATEMENT EXPLANATIONS. (NOTE: Hover over the pop-up icons to read specific instructions for the highlighted sections.)
- Photocopy and scan all of your receipts (registration fee, meals not covered by the conference, hotel receipt, airfare receipt, ground transportation (if approved) and fuel receipts if you drove) and a copy of the travel fund approval letter and save as a single PDF file.
- Photocopy and scan the conference agenda page and the conference program page that indicates your name as a presenter and the time and date of your presentation and save as a PDF file.
- Complete and sign a W-9 FORM, photocopy, scan, and save as a PDF file. Note: When you complete the W-9 form, check the "individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC" box in section 3 of the form.
- Sign the completed travel reimbursement form, print, scan, save as a PDF file, and submit it, the scan of your receipts and approval letter, the scan of the W-9 form, and the scan of the conference agenda and conference program page to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and submit the conference survey HERE when you submit your completed reimbursement request form.
____ Included all receipts and scanned to a PDF file.
____ Included scanned copy of travel approval as a PDF file.
____ Included scanned copy of the conference agenda indicating which meals were included during the conference.
____ Included scanned copy of the page indicating the date and time of your presentation.
____ Included scanned copy of completed W-9.
____ Included scanned copy of the travel reimbursement form.
____ Completed reflection.
If you have any questions about the travel grant application or reimbursement process, please contact us at email@example.com or 478-445-1248.