Health Care and Insurance


Health care in the United States can be very expensive. The U.S. government does not provide free or subsidized medical care for non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Therefore, it is extremely important to have adequate health insurance to help cover high medical costs. Health insurance can be expensive, but in the long run, is cheaper than high medical costs. It is important to note that insurance plans do not cover all health costs 100%. The insured person is usually responsible for paying a certain percentage of the bill. Most basic health insurance plans do not include dental or optical (eye) coverage.


The University System of Georgia has a mandatory health insurance plan for all international students enrolled at Georgia's public colleges and universities. The insurance fee must be paid each semester along with your tuition.


Undergraduate and graduate students entering in the Fall semester with F-1 and J-1 visas are required to purchase a mandatory United Health Care plan. Fall semester coverage will begin August 1, and Spring semester coverage will begin January 1. More information is available at the United Health Care Student Resources webpage . 


The University System of Georgia requires immunization documents from every newly admitted and readmitted student. Georgia College & State University will forward to each newly admitted student a Certificate of Immunization form that is to be competed by the student's physician or health facility official verifying that the student has received the required immunizations. Students enrolling at GCSU must document the following immunizations: two MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubela), Varicella (Chicken Pox), Tetanus, and Hepatitis B (Hepatitis B is required if you are 18 or under and strongly recommended if over 18). In addition, students living in University Housing are strongly recommended to receive an immunization for Meningitis and should inform themselves about the risks of the disease at

Be sure to obtain the appropriate documentation on the Certificate of Immunization form and submit it to the GCSU Office of the Registrar for evaluation prior to enrollment. It is much easier if you can obtain the necessary immunizations in your home country PRIOR to your arrival in Georgia. If you have further medical attention (after you have submitted your forms, but prior to arrival on campus), bring documentation to that effect with you to the International Center. If you have not received the required immunizations upon your arrival on campus, you can obtain the necessary immunizations at the Baldwin County Health Center located at 100 Ireland Dr, Milledgeville, GA 31061 (478-445-4274).


Student Health Services provides GCSU students treatment for acute minor illnesses and injuries. Staff can provide medicine and referral to community specialists. In addition, Health Services provides students with advice and counseling about diet, nutrition, eating disorders, alcohol and drug use, sexually transmitted diseases, exercise, stress, and many other topics. These services are provided free of charge to GCSU students. 


In case of emergency, students should go directly to the emergency room at Navicent Health Baldwin (NHB) or call 911. For non-emergencies during evenings or weekends, students can visit Convenient Care MD After Hours Care Clinic located at 111 Fieldstone Dr, Suite 114 (478-414-1414). 


Professional counselors are available to meet individually and confidentially with students who have any personal concerns. If you are feeling stressed, lonely, confused, depressed, or just need someone with whom to talk, you can make an appointment with Counseling Services to speak with one of the staff members. Some topics of concern may include adjusting to University life and/or life in the United States, relationships, stress/time management, depression, and deciding on a career path.