To Milledgeville from the Airport

The nearest international airport to Milledgeville is Hartsfield - Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, 90 miles northwest of Milledgeville. There is no direct public transportation from Atlanta to Milledgeville. New students arriving Fall and Spring Semesters can be met at the Atlanta airport by the International Center staff on a designated day. The fee for pickup is $45. Students should return the "Response Form" indicating flight arrival information. If you have arranged for us to pick you up at the airport, you can meet the International Center staff under the clock in the Atrium (between the North and South Terminals).

Another option is to take the Groome Shuttle Service (1-800-537-7903) to Macon, a city about 40 miles west of Milledgeville, (cost is $41) and then to take a taxi to Milledgeville (about $65). At the Atlanta Airport follow signs to "Ground Transportation" outside of Baggage Claim. Board the shuttle in Row G in the non-metro loading area. Shuttle service is scheduled southbound from the Atlanta Airport to Macon on an hourly basis from 6 a.m. until 1 a.m.

In and Around Milledgeville

The university offers a shuttle service around campus and weekend shopping shuttle. Baldwin County offers a shuttle service within the county Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  It is necessary to phone 478-445-2941 in advance to make a reservation ($2 one way). The university also offers a TapRide for a small fee. Because of limited local transportation, most students live on-campus or nearby the university within walking distance. Other forms of transportation are listed below.


Bicycles can be bought new or used through advertisements in the school or local newspapers or through local stores. Be sure to lock your bicycle whenever it is left unattended.

Ride Sharing

Lyft is currently the only app-based national ride-sharing service available in Milledgeville. 


Taxis are available in Milledgeville, but a little costly and inconvenient. When phoning for a taxi, you should call well in advance of the time you need to be picked up.  State the address where you wish to be met and the address where you wish to go. Ask the official for the cost of the trip. If you think it is too expensive, then simply say, "Please cancel the cab." It is customary to tip the driver of the taxi fifteen percent of the cost of the ride.

Car Rentals

Locations where you can rent a car in Milledgeville include:

  • Enterprise Rent-A-Car

1889 N. Columbia St. (in the Big Lots Shopping Center on HWY 441 across from the Milledgeville Mall)
Tel: 478-454-6520

  • Wilkinson Used Cars

410 N. Wayne St. 
Tel: 478-452-1913

Purchasing Cars

Some students choose to purchase automobiles. They are a great convenience, but can be very expensive. It is wise to compare base prices, additional costs and get advice from experienced people not involved in selling cars. Consumer Reports magazine is a useful reference tool.

Used cars are less expensive than new cars, but the buyer must be willing to take the risk of car trouble and repair costs. Any reputable person selling a used car will allow you to take the car to a garage mechanic to be thoroughly checked before you decide whether or not to buy it. Mechanics will charge for this service, but having the car checked is a wise precaution to avoid buying a car in bad condition. 

Plan your purchase before you visit a car dealer: age and type of car you want, price, down payment, terms of financing. You should make a note of the Blue Book value of the car available at most banks and online at sites like When you visit the used-car lot, explain to the salesperson that you do not intend to buy a car now and that you plan to shop around and compare prices. Do not permit the salesperson to urge you to make a quick decision.

Car Registration & Insurance

If you purchase a car, you must also register it with the local government and purchase a tag and car insurance. To register your vehicle and purchase a tag, visit the Baldwin County Tax Commissioner's Office located in Suite 112 of the Baldwin County courthouse located in downtown Milledgeville (478-445-4813). 

There are many car insurance companies, and you should shop around to get the best rates. The required minimum insurance, liability insurance, covers only the car of the other party with whom you might be involved in an accident. It does not cover the damage to your own car. For this coverage, additional insurance, collision insurance, must be purchased. To get a better insurance rate, it is helpful to have a Georgia driver's license, rather than one from your home country.

On-Campus Parking

To park a car on campus, you must obtain a Georgia College parking decal from the Parking and Transportation Services Office located at the Depot on West Greene Street.

Driver's License

Updated information about Georgia driving laws and procedures is available at The Georgia Department of Driver Services, where you can find detailed information about applying for a license, as well as download the Driver's License Manual.

Who Needs a Georgia Driver's License?

You must have a valid driver's license to drive in the U.S. Non-residents of the state of Georgia are generally not required to obtain a Georgia driver's license to drive in the state if they have a valid driver's license issued by another state or country for up to one year. If the license is in a language other than English, a valid international driving permit must also be carried at all times. However, it is recommended that international students obtain a Georgia Driver's License if you will be driving in Georgia extensively during your stay at GC, and especially if you plan on buying a car. Insurance premiums will be higher without a Georgia Driver's Licenses and generally vehicle registration requires a valid Georgia Driver's License. Law enforcement officers will also be more familiar with a U.S. license.  

Applying for a Georgia Driver's License

You can apply for a Georgia's Driver's License at any of the Georgia Department of Driver Services locations throughout the state. There is one located in Milledgeville at 200 Carl Vinson Road (Tel: 478- 445-4717), about a 10-minute drive south of campus. The facility is open Tuesday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and closed Saturday through Monday. Note that Tuesdays are generally their busiest day.

You will need to bring the following documents:

  1. A Social Security Number (Note: if you are not eligible for a SS#, you need to go to the local Social Security Office to obtain a Form SSA-L676 'SSN CARD DENIAL NOTICE.') 
  2. Proof of Identification (valid passport is acceptable)
  3. Proof of legal status in the United States (valid passport, I-94 card and I-20 or DS-2019)
  4. Proof of residence in Georgia by two of the following*:            
                - Utility bill with valid Georgia residence address 
                - Bank statement with valid Georgia residence address 
                - Rental contracts and/ or receipts 
                - Employer Verification 
                - Georgia license issued to parent, guardian or spouse
    * If you are unable to obtain one of these documents, a letter from the International Center verifying your address should suffice as one of the documents.
  5. $20 (cash, money order, check, Visa or MasterCard credit/debit cards)
  6. Current Driver's License (NOTE: Applicants will be asked to present any other driver's licenses issued to them from any other state or country. Effective January 1, 2009, a new law went into effect that allows non-U.S. citizens to keep their foreign driver's license.)

Immigration Status Verification

The Department of Drivers Services (DDS) is required by U.S. federal and Georgia state law to check the validity of your immigration status in a U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) verification system known as SAVE. If you are new to the U.S., you should wait 10 days after entering the U.S. and be sure the International Center has activated your information in SEVIS before applying for the license to ensure your information has been uploaded to the SAVE system. If your information matches up successfully in the SAVE system, DDS staff can proceed with your application. 

Sometimes there are problems with the verification process, and in some cases verification may take several day or several weeks. If you are transferring schools or in between programs, your information may not verify. DDS is also not able to issue you a license during your 60-day grace period following your program of study, or the period in between completion of your program and the start of your post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Until your immigration documentation is verified by US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), DDS is unable to issue a driver's license or identification card. If the verification is unsuccessful, you will be either given a form with instructions or should be contacted within 5 business days with an update on your case. If your case is not verifying and has been pending for over three weeks, you may visit the International Education Center for assistance.

Validity Period of License

The expiration date of your new license will match the end date of your I-20 or DS-2019 form (not to exceed a validity period of 3 years). If you are currently pursuing post-completion Optional Practical Training, the expiration date will match the end date of your OPT as listed on your EAD card.

Renewing your License

You can apply to renew your license within 150 days of the expiration date. It is strongly suggested to apply to renew your license as early as possible in case there are any problems that might cause you delays in renewal (for example, verification of your information in the SAVE system).

Georgia Identification Cards

If you do not plan to drive in Georgia,  you may want to consider obtaining a Georgia Identification Card. This can be useful when being requested to show ID. You can obtain this ID card at any Georgia Department of Driver Services office. You will need to present the same items as listed above for a driver's license. The cost is $20.