Advising FAQ's

Who is my advisor?

All students will be advised by professional advisors in the Advising Center in Lanier Hall. Advisors are listed in DegreeWorks and on the Tranguide.

Why do I have four different grade point averages?

The four Grade Point Averages (GPA) are Institutional, Transfer, Current and Overall GPA. While these four GPA categories are listed, only the Institutional GPA and Current GPA appear on your official transcript. In addition, your official transcript will contain the Cumulative GPA that calculates all grades of courses taken at Georgia College – including any repeated courses.

What is the difference between the current, institution, transfer and overall averages?

  • The Institutional GPA is calculated using all grades received on Georgia College coursework. For courses that are repeated, only the last grade received is included in the calculation. The Institutional GPA (along with your overall earned credit hours) is used to determine your academic standing as well as your eligibility for graduation. The minimum GPA you must have for graduation is 2.00. This is the GPA that appears on an official transcript.
  • The Transfer GPA is calculated on all classes taken outside of Georgia College. This GPA does not appear on a transcript.
  • The Overall GPA is calculated from a combination of your Institutional GPA and Transfer GPA. This GPA does not appear on a transcript.
  • The Current GPA is calculated from the grades received for a specific term. The current GPA appears after each term on a transcript.

Which average is used for entrance into the various cohorts?

Because requirements vary by cohort, to verify which GPA is used to determine eligibility and acceptance, contact the coordinator of your given major's cohort program.

Is there a way for me to figure out my GPA?

An online GPA calculator is available.   

Note: This calculator cannot be used to determine HOPE Scholarship eligibility; contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

What's an Advisor Hold and does every student have one?

When students are admitted to Georgia College, an advisor hold is placed on their record to prevent them from registering for classes without the approval of their academic advisor. This is to insure that students share a dialogue with their advisors to gain accurate information about the selection of appropriate courses and other educational interests and requirements. The Advisor Hold will usually return to the students' record at the end of the drop/add period. This will encourage a student/advisor communication each semester prior to the registration period. 

I have legislative requirements that I must satisfy before I graduate.  What are they?

Georgia law requires that each candidate for a degree from a University System of Georgia institution demonstrate knowledge of the history and constitution of the United States and Georgia by course work or examination.  Please visit this website to view those requirements.

What is the Senior Exit Requirement?

All undergraduate degree candidates must complete a Senior Exit requirement in their major field of study during one of their last two semesters prior to the completion of degree requirements. This requirement is determined by the major department and may be an examination, a portfolio, completion of a course, or other method of assessment.  Students who are required to take a test should check with the Center for Testing, Lanier Hall, to determine the type of test, application procedures and deadlines required for their majors. These students are encouraged to register for the exam the semester before they plan to test. Timely inquiry, correct application, and registration are the responsibility of the student. The Senior Exit requirement is an important part of the student's participation in assessing institutional effectiveness and fostering program improvement. Results of exit requirements will be part of the student's official Georgia College record.

Can a student drop a science lecture and stay in the lab?  How do you sign up for the lab portion only, if the student passed the lecture before, but failed or dropped the lab section?

Biology and Environmental Science

Students may drop lecture and keep lab or vice versa. In order to do this, the student will need to talk with the professor and obtain their signature on a course change card as well as the department chair’s signature. Once the signatures have been obtained, the student can then turn the form in to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

During the first week of classes, students may come to the department to obtain a co-requisite override.  A course change card is to be used after the first week of classes with the proper procedures above followed.

Courses that students can drop the co-requisite lecture or lab are

  • BIOL 1100 / 1100L
  • BIOL 1107 / 1107L
  • BIOL 1108 / 1108L
  • BIOL 1120 / 1120L
  • ENSC 1000 / 1000L
  • GEOL 1121 / 1121L
  • GEOL 1122 / 1122L

Students may not drop from other course lectures or labs that do not have a separate CRN for the lecture and for the lab.

In order to register for just the lecture or lab of a biology, environmental science or geology course, student will have to request a co-requisite override from the department.  For BIOL 1107/1107L and BIOL 1108/1108L courses, the override will not be entered until after registration has begun (usually by Monday of the following week) for students to be able to register for the portion of the course they need. Please note, an override does not guarantee a seat. It is on a first come, first served basis.

Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy

Students may not drop a portion of their physics, astronomy or chemistry (majors section) prior to the middle of the term. If by mid-term a student wishes to drop lecture or lab and remain in the other portion, they will need to obtain the professor and department chair’s signature on a course change card. Once the signatures have been obtained, students will then need to turn the course change card in to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

In order to register for just the lecture or lab of a course, the student will need to request a co-requisite override from the department. The override will not be entered until after registration has begun (usually by Monday of the following week) for students to be able to register for the portion of the course they need. Please note, an override does not guarantee a seat. It is on a first come, first served basis.

Do D's count for CORE classes?

It depends on the your major. In general, a D does count as passing for the core except for ENGL 1101 which requires a C or better. However, there are times a C or better is required. For example a C or better in an Area A Math Class is required before a student can take MATH 1401. There may also be courses in the core that serve as pre-requisites for courses within your major and a C or better may be required.  For major-specific prerequisite questions regarding Core courses, please consult your Academic Advisor for further guidance.  

How does a student add a class after the Drop/Add period?

Use a Course Change Form with the signatures of the Instructor, Department Chair, and Advisor.  

How does a student drop a class after the mid-term drop date?

File a Student Petition with the Dean (approved by the Advisor and Dept. Chair). 

What is POUNCE?

For information about POUNCE please go to the POUNCE web pages.   

Can one course be used to satisfy more than one area?

Yes, unless prohibited specifically by the major.

I took an AP test/s in high school.  Can I exempt/receive credit for any college courses?

In general, Georgia College requires a score of three or higher on tests administered in conjunction with the Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Entrance Examination Board.  However, some subjects require a score of 4 or higher.

What happens if a student fails a course and takes it again?  What if they take it over at another institution?

If the student completes both attempts at the same institution, only the last grade is included in the grade point average.  However, both grades continue to appear on the student’s transcript. If the student attempts the course at two different institutions, both grades are used in the grade point average, but credit for the course is earned only once.

Georgia College uses the institutional grade point average to determine academic standing and eligibility for graduation, and only courses completed at Georgia College affect the institutional grade point average.  Repeating Georgia College courses at other institutions does not replace the Georgia College grades nor improve a student’s academic standing at Georgia College.

Who should file a Transient Permission Form?

If a student is going to take one semester at another college (e.g., summer session closer to home), they must complete a Transient Permission Form to inform Georgia College of the course they'll be taking. 

What is T.A.I.L.?

The T.A.I.L system (Transfer Articulation Information Locator), available within PAWS, will help faculty advisors find GC equivalent courses for other university classes.  

When do students need to apply for graduation?

For information regarding graduation, please refer to the Registrar's Office.    

How can you register undergraduates for graduate classes?

The student must be within 6 hours of graduation. Obtain the permission of the Graduate Coordinator for the program.  Use a Schedule Planner form; have it signed and take it to the Registrar's Office.  

What courses can D grades count for?

Everything except ENGL1101, and any Major course(s) so designated in the University Catalog.  In addition, some classes may require a “C” or better in a pre-requisite course.  DegreeWorks will automatically prohibit a course from being applied to a degree requirement if the student did not earn a sufficient grade.  

How do you remove a Prerequisite Hold?

The primary instructor can allow a student into a class using an override in PAWS.  Otherwise, the student should see the Department Chair.  

How does a student change their major or minor?

A major or minor may be declared or changed by contacting the advisor of the proposed major or minor. A second major or minor may be declared by following the same procedure.

How does a student change advisors?

Make an appointment with your current advisor to discuss the change.

How do you get the Registration PIN for a student?

In PAWS, Student Information/Get Student PIN for Registration  

How do advisors see what Registration Holds exist for a student?

In PAWS, Student Information/View Student Holds  

How do instructors allow extra students into their classes?

Go to PAWS/Faculty & Advisors/Student Information Menu/Registration Overrides