Engaging students in chemistry through research, discovery, education and career opportunities
Our program has many unique offerings such as: mentored undergraduate research, a small/close knit faculty to student ratio, a variety of program concentrations, and a pre-pharmacy 3+4 agreement. More offerings are on the horizon as we grow!
Start building a solid background in science. Courses meet the guidelines of the American Chemistry Society and include inorganic chemistry, chemical analysis and instrumental methods of analysis, organic chemistry and physical chemistry.
Chemistry B.S. (Biochemistry Concentration)
Develop an understanding of organic chemistry, biochemistry, molecular virology, microbiology and so much more.
Chemistry B.S. (Forensic Chemistry Concentration)
Prepare for a career in forensic science and criminal analysis with our innovative Forensic Chemistry Concentration.
Georgia College partners with the University of Georgia (UGA), Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) and Auburn University schools of pharmacy to offer eligible students majoring in chemistry an accelerated track to pharmacy school.
Pre-pharmacy students are advised by an academic advisor and are declared as chemistry majors with a pre-pharmacy concentration. After completing the junior year at Georgia College, students apply to a professional school of pharmacy where an additional four years completes a doctor of pharmacy degree (Pharm. D.).
Key Benefits of this Degree
- Planning on becoming a pharmacist? Take advantage of our partnerships with the University of Georgia, Auburn University, and Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine by beginning your accelerated track to pharmacy school at GCSU.
- Take control of your learning experience by getting involved with our Vertically Integrated Projects (VIP) program. VIP enhances your learning by providing large-scale, long-term, hands on research experiences guided by our faculty experts.
- We offer a scholarship to promote research and travel for students. As well as encourage students to apply for funding through Mentored Undergraduate Research and Creative Endeavors (MURACE). We also offer several chemistry research opportunities in our department.
- Our courses meet the guidelines of the American Chemistry Society and include inorganic chemistry, chemical analysis and instrumental methods of analysis, organic chemistry and physical chemistry.
What can my career look like with this degree?
A first for middle Georgia
Georgia College & State University offers a first of a kind degree concentration for students in central Georgia.
Career Paths for Chemistry Majors
You'll learn skills in
- Scientific Writing
- Problem Solving
- Public Speaking
- Time Management
- Team Work
These skills can lead to careers such as
- Industry Professional
- Environmental Health Professional
Certified through the American Chemical Society
Our Chemistry programs aim to expose students to careers and chemistry and science education, as each scholar will be mentored by a faculty member. As a student in the Chemistry program, you will be prepared to enter and succeed in graduate programs in chemistry or professional programs including medical or dental school.